Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rusty bike

4 posts in this topic

I have an Ebike with slight scuffs and scratches.

Obviously I paid a lot of money so want to treat this before it spreads.

Was wondering how much a bike shop is likely to charge?

Mayne I should do it myself.

But there's where I'm confused. Having no experience with this kind of thing.

Am I right in thinking I need a "primer" then the colour I want. Then finally a "top coat"

Will I need to scrape off any rust.

What's the exact procedure for this.

I guess I'll just take it to a bike shop if it's very hard. But I always prefer self sufficiency

Thanks

There are many, many youtubes showing how to removes scratches.  If they are as 'slight' as you say, they might just be buffed out...not painted.  Search.

If the scuffs are on the surface (use your fingernail to check if it's a cut in the paint, or on top of the paint), try buffing with toothpaste and a soft cloth (microfiber) first. You'll need to push and persist because it works very slowly. Go in circles, and when it looks good, wipe off with a clean cloth to see if it has actually worked. Then, you'll want to polish that spot and at least around it (or the whole bike ideally), and finally, apply wax to protect the paint. Lots of work for a bike, but great if you can do it.

If the scratches are deeper, there's a good video that shows what I do for cars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nYF46P7B2c (this guy has good DIY videos in general).

It goes without saying that any spot you want to buff out needs to be clean and free of dust and grit that could potentially add scratches.

What kind of bike is it / what's the brand? You need to keep in mind that with most brands, you'll loose any warranty if you perform work on the frame itself. With quite a few of them, that does include smaller, purely cosmetic work. Unless it's done by a bike-shop. There are exceptions, but it does depend on the exact brand / manufacturer.

Then there's the issue of the color itself. There's thousands of them and most of them are not available on the aftermarket. A bike-shop that has business relations with your bike's manufacturer can order the specific color you'll need.  

If there's actual rust (as the title implies), you might want to contact your bike's manufacturer in general. I've been in the bike industry for about 12 years now and I've probably seen less than a dozen bikes with actual rust on them. That's a pretty rare thing these days.