Returning to Germany with aufenthaltstitel now?

5 posts in this topic

I'm having some trouble interpreting the current entry restrictions to Germany. I'm not a German citizen, but I have my student residence permit and lived in Germany around 1.5 year so far. I'm looking to return to Germany after spending the holidays in the US, but before I book my flight, I'm trying to make sure that at least under the current restriction I would be allowed entry. 

Can anyone point me to the correct page to check, and any language that states legal residents have a right to return? Thanks very much in advance.

I read the documents in the above link and they refer to registering your movement and quarantine but don't mention exactly what documents would be needed to prove you are resident. I am probably in a similar position to Mallard. I changed my residence to Germany on 1st jan a year ago. The only documents I have so far are a Medlebescheinigung from the local council plus I have various things related to tax and being self employed. I also have a German driving licence.  Would that suffice at the border or is there some extra special certificate that I need which says I am officially a resident. I did register at a foreigners office at my local council but as we were in the EU there was not much to do. I do recall the lady indicated there may be some more paperwork post  Brexit.

Normally I am back and forth between the two countries every few weeks as I have elderly parents in England and partner and her family here. My parents Poor health means sooner or later I will be forced to return to the UK. Currently I am planning on March in the hope that some of the corona panic will have subsided by then.  One thought is once immunisations are well under way, some countries may insist on proof of immunisation to cross borders and I expect to be at the back of the queue for mine. 

10 minutes ago, JonnyEnglander said:

I read the documents in the above link and they refer to registering your movement and quarantine but don't mention exactly what documents would be needed to prove you are resident. I am probably in a similar position to Mallard. I changed my residence to Germany on 1st jan a year ago. The only documents I have so far are a Medlebescheinigung from the local council plus I have various things related to tax and being self employed. I also have a German driving licence.  Would that suffice at the border or is there some extra special certificate that I need which says I am officially a resident. I did register at a foreigners office at my local council but as we were in the EU there was not much to do. I do recall the lady indicated there may be some more paperwork post  Brexit.

As a minimum, take with you

- Proof of employment, from your employer ie your self emplyed contract

- Proof that you have some where to stay in Germany, ie rent contract

- Passport with at least 8 months validity

- Maybe your registration document, Medlebescheinigung

also passport

I know its a pain in the arse to get together all of these documents, but if you come back and the official at the airport wants to give you a hard time, it will be worth every 1 hour spent getting this data.

Thanks Yesterday, I agree, best policy is to take everything that could be asked for. 

I don't have an employer, I am completely freelance but I do have paperwork when  registered my business.