Why this forum speaks English and not German

133 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, HH_Sailor said:

But zu Michaels Haus

Which is why paracetamol should be given out in any welcome pack.. 

15 hours ago, cb6dba said:

Not forgetting it's 'nach Hause'...

That one's easy to remember, if you've sat and sang in enough Bavarian beer tents!

On 12/7/2020, 8:38:22, yourkeau said:

I think, there is some kind of hate towards English speakers in Germany, and that immigrants prefer to speak English and not German. Even though most TT users have decent command of German, we communicate in English here. Why? 

This is why:

Most modern technology is based on discoveries made in the first half of 20 century, people like Bloch, Einstein and  Schrödinger, should they stayed in Germany, would make German the main lingua franca in science, technology, and business.

Most of them fled to the UK and the US, these two countries still produce a significant proportion of the Nobel Prize winners. And this is why we speak English. Not German. Not French. Not Chinese. English. 

I haven't been on here for ages.  It's kind of nice to come back and see that the site is still thriving, and people are still posting utter bollocks.

yourkeau lives in Israel now, so it's probably a side-effect of that. Nazis. Nazis everywhere.

ibetthejewsdidthis.jpg.58e7e037b18f4b5c6

Side effect of what? I use English professionally since 2002. Since that time my country of residence has changed 4 times. 

Yes, no dubbing in cinemas here, only Hebrew subtitles. Only children movies and cartoons are fully dubbed. But it is the same in other small countries like Sweden or Netherlands. 

In Germany and France there is this wish to remain kids forever, because of lost Empires. 

Because we (I) are fluent in German after living here for decades, have read hundreds of books in Deutsch, think in German, are easily good enough to get German citizenship (I got 96% for B1, 100% for the quiz)... but can not write the language correctly!

On 12/28/2020, 6:41:41, El Jeffo said:

Nazis everywhere.

Though this was probably meant as sarcasm, I don't know if it's an invalid feeling. I live in the US, and that's how I feel.

When I was growing up, paranoia was depicted as finding Communists under every bed. But is it paranoia when even important figures in the self-described biggest democracy in the world express fascist intents daily?

are easily good enough to get German citizenship (I got 96% for B1, 100% for the quiz)...

Although B1 is sufficient to apply for German citizenship, it is not an indication of actual fluency. 

12 hours ago, Fietsrad said:

Because we (I) are fluent in German after living here for decades, have read hundreds of books in Deutsch, think in German, are easily good enough to get German citizenship (I got 96% for B1, 100% for the quiz)... but can not write the language correctly!

Good for you that you can write in English correctly (whatever it means). For all non-native speakers, English is also a challenge. My English is much better than German because at some point in my life I had to read the Physical Review journal. If I got my degree before WWII, Annalen der Physik would have been much more relevant. 

BTW, the journal still exists, in English only, of course (just like many other scientific journals published originally in German, now English only). 

well, let's see... why would we "speak" English (instead of German) in this forum?

I'd say this has mainly practical reasons: the target audience here are (new-ish) immigrants to Germany, coming from a multitude of different countries.

So it would be safe to assume that those people have limited command of German. 

We need to find a "common" language - and since Esperanto never made it into mainstream, we're stuck with English - the de facto "world language"

25 minutes ago, karin_brenig said:

I'd say this has mainly practical reasons: the target audience here are (new-ish) immigrants to Germany, coming from a multitude of different countries.

So it would be safe to assume that those people have limited command of German

no, and no.

Toytown's target audience has always been native speakers of English.  Over the years the forum has become more tolerant of people with varying degrees of command over the English language.  Back in the day, native-level command of English was required to participate; those with lesser handle on the language were very often shown the door on the grounds of insufficient English language ability.  (See: Toytown is not a language school)

It is also not "safe to assume" that people here don't speak German.  Not speaking German has never been a requirement of participation.  Being proficient in English is/was.

20 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

no, and no.

Toytown's target audience has always been native speakers of English.  Over the years the forum has become more tolerant of people with varying degrees of command over the English language.  Back in the day, native-level command of English was required to participate; those with lesser handle on the language were very often shown the door on the grounds of insufficient English language ability.  (See: Toytown is not a language school)

It is also not "safe to assume" that people here don't speak German.  Not speaking German has never been a requirement of participation.  Being proficient in English is/was.

I see, now I know. Not a place for the general population of immigrants to Germany. Just a place for native speakers of English, who happened to end up in Germany. Thanks for the clarification. I haven't been here long enough, I guess.

Now I'll have to wonder, if my command of English (does American even count as a language) is sufficient? I'm not a native speaker, sorry. I was 4 years old when dad took me to CA for a year. I became a US citizen in 2012. Since then people in BY call me "Saupreiss', amerikanischer". I take this as a compliment.

Anyways, language is just a means to and end: communication.