How long to find a flat?

8 posts in this topic

Hello :) Kind of a dumb question here...

When finding a flat in Berlin, ON AVERAGE, how long would you expect your search to take? How many viewings before an offer?

I've been in berlin for 5 years but always went through my network so wondering what to expect...

If it makes a difference: I'm looking in key areas like fhain, xberg, pberg, mitte. Looking for a reasonably sized flat (40sqm) up to max 1100 warm, ideally lower. I'm here permanently and have a stable job, making 60k base + bonus which varies but is generally another 30k per year paid out twice yearly (not yet in my last 3 payslips). I have all of the paperwork schufa etc. ready to go and have started applying. 

I have 3 appointments booked in the next few days, but I would believe its naive to think I'll find my next home in only 5 or so viewings? How long of a road a head of me can I expect?

Vielen dank

I think income-wise you are ok, and the rent you are looking for is reasonable. If you have 5 viewings I'd say you'll find a flat.

Apparently recently it's been extremely tough to find a flat, and recent arrivals seem to be spending 2-3 months trying to find a flat. But their main complaint is that they can't get viewings. If you are getting five viewings, then I'd venture to say you'll be able to get at least one of the five.

Although this happened in Munich I would think that the situation is similar. I managed to score two viewings recently but each had over 300 people applying.

@slammer said what I was thinking. If the viewings aren't private, there will probably be a lot of competition.

When we invite people to view our rental, we usually invite around 50 for 3 hrs. 

2 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

When we invite people to view our rental, we usually invite around 50 for 3 hrs. 

Would be difficult to do now with social distancing. 1 person per 10 m2 :).

In the berlin market, if it's a bona fide rental, given the numbers mentioned, I would guess your chances are random at best; but someone will be chosen...why not you?