Free bank account for US citizen not residing in Germany anymore

6 posts in this topic

Dear TT Users, I want to start by thanking you for this super helpful forum. Apologies, if this question has been already addressed in the 

forum as whatever I found was old information.

I am a US citizen and have a Niederlassungsurlaubnis and just 2 weeks ago moved out of Germany. I don't know when I will move back as I recently lost my job and have a few things to take care of on the personal front. I have had a Deutsche Bank account for a decade and no issues. Yesterday, I received a letter from DB asking me to confirm if I am still working for a partner company or else I will be charged 6.90 euros a month. I wish I had known this earlier as I could have opened an account in another bank while I was there. Any suggestions where I could now open a free bank account remotely as a US citizen, non-resident although with a valid NLE?

Thanks much in advance!

You could try dkb.de. If you can prove that you still have an economic connection to Germany  they may accept your business. That´s what I was told when I inquired on behalf of my sister who is living in the US. However, she is a German citizen - not sure whether that played a role.

The TransferWise Borderless Account includes a German IBAN (among others). Maybe that's enough for your needs.

Last time I checked DKB only accepted non-residents who are German citizens.

2 hours ago, Podi said:

I am a US citizen and have a Niederlassungsurlaubnis and just 2 weeks ago moved out of Germany. I don't know when I will move back as I recently lost my job and have a few things to take care of on the personal front.

Sorry that you are facing these challenges.  You‘re not alone - I can see this same situation possibly happening to me in the near future.

OT but related - just in case you were not aware, the Niederlassungserlaubnis is a RESIDENCE permit.  This means you are expected to be physically present in Germany for the majority of each year.

If you leave the country for longer than 6 months without getting prior permission to do so, you are no longer resident, and your NE automatically becomes invalid.

Thank you all for the information! For now I just need a German account where I can park some of the money, have a German IBAN to receive and be able to use to pay for something if needed. This is until I move back and figure out the options. Will check TransferWise Borderless Account , DKB and N26.

53 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

N26 lets you do it I think, though I'm not sure where they'll send the cards. Do you have someone whose address in Germany you can use?

Yes, if needed can ask the bank to ship to a friend's house.

40 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Sorry that you are facing these challenges.  You‘re not alone - I can see this same situation possibly happening to me in the near future.

OT but related - just in case you were not aware, the Niederlassungserlaubnis is a RESIDENCE permit.  This means you are expected to be physically present in Germany for the majority of each year.

If you leave the country for longer than 6 months without getting prior permission to do so, you are no longer resident, and your NE automatically becomes invalid.

Best wishes to you, hope that doesn't happen. It was a setback as I was out of the country for 2 years and moved back for the job and to settle down permanently but the pandemic happened!

Thanks for headsup on NLE :) I am aware of the NLE terms and in my case since I had a Blue card upto one year of absence is allowed. And if lucky, they agree for another year extension. Have done that already! :)