How many of you will trust Covid-19 vaccine with own lives?

How many of you will trust Covid-19 vaccine with own lives?   113 votes

1. 1. How many of you will trust Covid-19 vaccine with own lives?

• I will do it, this vaccine is made by doctors, and they know how is done and if is efficient.
    • I will not do it, doctors got different opinions about side effects, for the moment they don't trust this vaccine, why should I do it?
    • Vaccine? For Covid-19? GTFOOH! Doctors still learn the virus and you want to do a vaccine? Are you insane?
    • They plan to force people to do the vaccine, in order to fly, otherwise you cannot fly or travel internationally without one.
    • I am ok without one, I am still healthy, after 8-9 months of ''quarantine living'. With mask and disinfectants who needs a vaccine?
    • I will do it, but in a year or so, first persons are ''lab rats'' testers. I don't trust them yet.
    • I was already sick. No need for a vaccine for me.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

896 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

If the old and frail in care homes stay put, and no one who is infected comes into their space, they should be protected as well?  I guess it's not jail and they're allowed to go out... but do they? :unsure:

32 minutes ago, warsteiner70 said:

So are people not allowed to see their family members/relatives in Care Homes now then?

29 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

I haven't said that anyone shouldn't get it and I think you know that.

I can see how your statement above could have been misinterpreted.

If one considers things scientifically, then you would want to vaccinate those likely won't survive a COVID19 infection first. The next phase would be health workers.

After that, the economics argument of not burdening the health system and getting businesses and travel going again would mean trying to vaccinate as many people as possible.

There was talk that people who had had COVID19 were able to be reinfected. Whether that is also the case with a vaccination, I don't know. In the last couple of days, the DE Government has begun setting up storage centres to stock all kinds of healthcare medications and consumables. Hopefully, there will be lessons learnt when things are back to "normal".

1 hour ago, dessa_dangerous said:

healthcare workers, absolutely.  But how will people who are already isolated from society get Covid if no one brings it to them?

No one is completely isolated.  That’s impossible.

And, unless the vaccine is 100% effective, all the time and every time, and unless it works 100% in every healthcare worker, even “isolated” people can still be exposed.  As we have seen, all it takes is for one contagious person to spread it to dozens/hundreds.

@dom As you well know, Coronaviruses are one of the pathogens for the “common cold,” and Coronaviruses mutate fairly rapidly.  The vaccine is for the current strain, but it is likely to mutate (and seems to have done so already).

So, my unqualified opinion is that the vaccine will need to be adjusted yearly, like the influenza vaccine.

9 minutes ago, dom said:

I can see how your statement above could have been misinterpreted.

I don't, s/he read all sorts of things into my post which weren't there, such as that I want the vaccine for myself so I can go on holiday and out to the pub, three things which couldn't be further from the truth.  Only with the worst will could you read that I wanted old people to die alone.  He/she/it went on a wild tangent that had nothing to do with me and laid it on my doorstep.  Charming.  

5 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

I want the vaccine for myself so I can go on holiday and out to the pub, three things which couldn't be further from the truth.

I want the vaccine for myself, exactly for those reasons B)

But it is more important to all (most?) of us that the vulnerable and the essential workers get it first.  I know you are fully in agreement with this.

even if you are in a care home, or have pre existent conditions, the chance that you will die from the virus is higher

Therefore its right that the old etc should get it first, even they are in a kinda protected environment.

What if one of the care workers picks up the virus while in a shop and takes it into the care home  ?

@desa, I do not really see what's so wrong with what you wrote, people are reading things into that you did not write.

In Portugal they already said they would not vaccinate care homes residents on the first run because the Pfizer vaccine would be make it too complicated, as they would not leave the home to get the vaccine and stay in line for hours. 

But they would vaccinate the caretakers.

5 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

In Portugal they already said they would not vaccinate care homes residents on the first run because the Pfizer vaccine would be make it too complicated, as they would not leave the home to get the vaccine and stay in line for hours. 

But they would vaccinate the caretakers.

The newspaper here said mobil units will bring vaccinations to the folks in the care home.  Same will happen in the US.

7 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

...s/he read all sorts of things into my post which weren't there...

7 hours ago, yesterday said:

...people are reading things into that you did not write.

This happens all the time on TT. :lol: Sometimes it can be highly offensive. <_<

Sometimes you have to wonder if people can read words.

On 03/12/2020, 12:33:33, Space Cowboy said:

I believe it already has been mentioned that people who are at high risk for severe COVID illnesses are also the ones that put the biggest strain on the healthcare system.  If you need medical care for something non-COVID related, but can’t get it because the hospitals are full of severe COVID cases, what will you do then?

So, it makes perfect sense to give a high priority to both healthcare workers and those at high risk, so that the healthcare system is available for other purposes.

This actually happened to my high school senior in Indonesia just a few days ago. He had a stroke, was brought to hospital but the ICU was full of COVID patients. He passed away not long after. He was only 44.

On 12/3/2020, 2:19:40, dom said:

There was talk that people who had had COVID19 were able to be reinfected. Whether that is also the case with a vaccination, I don't know. In the last couple of days, the DE Government has begun setting up storage centres to stock all kinds of healthcare medications and consumables. Hopefully, there will be lessons learnt when things are back to "normal".

As far as I know, getting COVID may only give you immunity for a few months and some people have been reinfected.  They were hoping that a vaccine would give a bit more stable immunity but really nobody knows because we haven't tested the vaccines long enough.  I think the key is to vaccinate fast enough that we reach herd immunity and the virus will have nowhere to go.  However, as long as people travel the world, it has to be a world effort.

One thing I find concerning though is that according to this survey, only 50% here are planning to get the vaccine when it becomes available while another 30% want to wait a year.  We can not reach herd immunity with only 50%.  We need 70-80.  The people who want to wait a year will prolong this for a year.

Further, I do think once vaccinations have become available, airlines will make them mandatory for travel and many employers may make them mandatory for work as much as they are allowed to.  I definitely think that myself as an external working on a project basis will be told "no vacc = no project".

12 minutes ago, LeonG said:

Further, I do think once vaccinations have become available, airlines will make them mandatory for travel and many employers may make them mandatory for work as much as they are allowed to.  I definitely think that myself as an external working on a project basis will be told "no vacc = no project".

Which makes it vitally important to get a reciept.

Are they doing that in the UK? I'd bet not. 

It´s simple. At start it´s not mandatory as the amount of vaccines is limited. At some point they reach 40-50% and it does not above because the remaining people refuse.

Then they start making it mandatory for some professionals or activities. Example: if a teacher wants to continue to have his job, he needs a vaccine. If you want to travel by plane, you need a vaccine. And so on. We will get there, but there wil be some social unrest in the meantime.

17 minutes ago, LeonG said:

There is already plenty of precedent for this.  For instance, here in Germany children must be vaccinated against measles to attend school.

Why isn't there an answer option like "I'm Dutch and take everything which is free of charge." :)?

PS- I believe in science and will take the vaccine once my turn comes up.

11 minutes ago, Dembo said:

Which makes it vitally important to get a reciept.

Are they doing that in the UK? I'd bet not. 

My neighbour told me that aside from the covid test you can have where they stick a swab into your nose or mouth, you can have a blood test which both shows if you have covid currently as well as antibodies to show that you've had it in the past.  I assume it will also show antibodies in your blood if you have been vaccinated.  In the absence of a receipt or a stamp in your impfpass, you could be asked to provide such a test instead.  

15 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

It´s simple. At start it´s not mandatory as the amount of vaccines is limited. At some point they reach 40-50% and it does not above because the remaining people refuse.

Then they start making it mandatory for some professionals or activities. Example: if a teacher wants to continue to have his job, he needs a vaccine. If you want to travel by plane, you need a vaccine. And so on. We will get there, but there wil be some social unrest in the meantime.

I don't know to what degree employers can force their employees to get vaccinated but they can certainly put the pressure on.  As for airlines, they are already requiring covid tests in some cases so requiring a vaccination is a small step.

20 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Why isn't there an answer option like "I'm Dutch and take everything which is free of charge." :)?

LOL - off-topic, but speaking of taking everything which is free of charge:  I am a serious MotoGP fan.  I've been to races all over the world.  The Central Europe races (Austria, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Netherlands) are in non-COVID times well attended by Dutch and German fans.

Some of the best entertainment to be found during these events is in the hotel breakfast rooms.  You get to watch the cheap-ass Germans and the ultra-cheap-ass Dutch stuffing their pockets and backpacks from the breakfast buffet so they don't have to buy lunch at the racetrack. The Dutch people will empty entire trays of food into their packs, so I quickly learned to get to the breakfast early  :D

27 minutes ago, LeonG said:

I don't know to what degree employers can force their employees to get vaccinated but they can certainly put the pressure on.  As for airlines, they are already requiring covid tests in some cases so requiring a vaccination is a small step.

They cannot force. But government can say that certain professions can only be done with vaccinated people. They can refuse. But they lose their job. Lots of precedents there.