Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Alternatives to Einbürgerungstest/Leben in Deutschland Test?

7 posts in this topic

I'm a British citizen, who moved to Berlin in 2013. Due to various factors – mainly my own idiocy – I had not realised that with B2 German ability, 6 years residency would be enough for Einbürgerung. I'm now rushing like mad to send an application in before the end of the transition period on 31.12.20 to try and secure dual citizenship.

The main issue I'm facing is that it appears to be impossible to get a place for an Einbürgerungstest, or alternatively a Leben in Deutschland test, this year. None of the Volkshochschulen have spots, neither (it appears) do any private schools. As I understand it BAMF require the test centre to have registered participants four weeks in advance, so it's not a case of asking nicely/begging for an exception to get a spot. One school has told me they might have a spot on the 18.12, which I will certainly take them up on if it turns out to be real, but given the BAMF rules I don't see how I can count on it. So:

1. Does anyone know whether some alternative evidence can be given to the Einbürgerungsbehörde, to satisfy §10(7) of StAG – i.e.proving requisite knowledge about German legal, societal and living conditions? An Einbürgerungstest is, according to the legislation,"in der Regel" (which I interpret as "ordinarily") the way to prove it. But I wonder if there have been any divergent cases here.

2. The Brexit-Übergangsgesetz says at 3(1) that in order to qualify for dual citizenship, having submitted the application by 31.12.20 is sufficient provided that, as at that date, all the other conditions for naturalisation have been fulfilled. I interpret that as meaning, the test must have been passed by that date. Has anyone been told differently by an Einbürgerungsbehörde, for example that simply having registered for a test in the new year would be enough? I know that usually you just need to submit an Anmeldung for the test with the initial application. 

I'd be grateful for any help here. I'm well aware that the main thought on this might be that I should've just dealt with this earlier. 

The only two exceptions to the Einbürgerungstest are if:

• you have a German school-leaving qualification.
  • you cannot fulfil the requirements because of a physical, psychological or mental illness or disability or on account of your age.

https://www.bamf.de/EN/Themen/Integration/ZugewanderteTeilnehmende/Einbuergerung/einbuergerung-node.html

Neither of these appear to apply in your case.However you can take the test at a VHS anywhere within Berlin-Brandenburg. There still appear to be a few slots available in December, but time is running out:

https://www.vhs-brb.de/service/einbuergerungstest/termine-einbuergerunstest/

You must take the test before the end of December 2020, but once you have taken it and have submitted everything else, then your application can still go through even if the actual test results are not issued till later in 2021. This also assumes that you actually pass the test - but let's assume that you will.

Good luck!

Wouldn't permanent residence be an option for you ? Why dual citizenship, or do you honestly feel half German after your six years here, what are the pros and cons.

On 29/11/2020, 21:35:53, john_b said:

The only two exceptions to the Einbürgerungstest are if:

• you have a German school-leaving qualification.
  • you cannot fulfil the requirements because of a physical, psychological or mental illness or disability or on account of your age.

https://www.bamf.de/EN/Themen/Integration/ZugewanderteTeilnehmende/Einbuergerung/einbuergerung-node.html

Neither of these appear to apply in your case.However you can take the test at a VHS anywhere within Berlin-Brandenburg. There still appear to be a few slots available in December, but time is running out:

https://www.vhs-brb.de/service/einbuergerungstest/termine-einbuergerunstest/

You must take the test before the end of December 2020, but once you have taken it and have submitted everything else, then your application can still go through even if the actual test results are not issued till later in 2021. This also assumes that you actually pass the test - but let's assume that you will.

Good luck!

Thanks. I tried all the VHS in Brandenburg too. Albeit they have dates coming up, I missed the registration deadline and they won't budge. I *did* manage to book a Leben in Deutschland test today for 18.12, with a Sprachschule (not VHS) up in Marzahn. I'm going to speak to a lawyer tomorrow, but my strong hope is that–given that the content is effectively identical–the Einbürgerungsamt will consider it to be the same as an Einbürgerungstest. Fingers crossed. Now to sort out a B2 Sprachtest too...

23 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

German citizenship opens travel/work options across Europe.

This, basically. Plus I just have the feeling that, if I can swing it, there's no downside.

An update in case anyone is interested:

I sat the B2 TELC exam, not entirely a piece of cake but fairly sure I ought to have passed it. Collated and organised all of the necessary documents, filled out the Einbürgerungsantrag, signed it and delivered it to the Amt by hand on Wednesday. Knowing that I only had the LiD test to sort out, was feeling pretty accomplished, not to mention relieved that I'd somehow managed to sort everything out in time after my previous ridiculous delays.

Unfortunately, when I went to the Sprachschule on 18.12–although they's confirmed the day before the test would still go ahead– the LiD test was cancelled, as were all LiD tests in Germany. We were literally sitting at our desks in the exam room when the news came through to the school from BAMF HQ. So, pretty gutted now. I'll write a letter to the Staatsangehörigkeitsbehörde asking them to be nice given the circumstances (I had a confirmed spot for the test before the end of the Brexit transition phase, it was completely out of my control that it was cancelled by BAMF due to the lockdown). Can't say I'm feeling especially confident however.

That must be really frustrating. You certainly have nothing to lose by writing the letter, I'd say there is still a reasonable chance they would take the mitigating circumstances into account.

Best of luck, hope that things turn out for you in 2021.