Mietendeckel rent reduction - speak up now or wait until court settles it in 2021?

24 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, murphaph said:

From my reading of it, the Land simply had no authority to make law in this area, because the Bund had already done so in 2015 (Bundesrecht bricht Landesrecht). It's kind of surprising it took so long to come to this conclusion if that's all it came down to.

There are many problems in the housing market in Berlin, however, RRG is more interested in ideology and populist ideas than actually trying to fix the problems. Furthermore, some members of the coalition just ignore the laws that they don't like and seem to expect no consequences. 

I guess there's nothing the Senate can do about it either as the court has ruled that Berlin has no competence to even make law here. Unless the laws at federal level are repealed there will be no new Mietendeckel attempts by the Senate, right? (well, none that can succeed)

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

I guess there's nothing the Senate can do about it either as the court has ruled that Berlin has no competence to even make law here. Unless the laws at federal level are repealed there will be no new Mietendeckel attempts by the Senate, right? (well, none that can succeed)

There is some movement to expropriate apartments from the owners.  Berlin neo-hippies and post-hipsters would do anything to continue living in their WGs in the five districts they love instead of just moving to Spandau or Reinickendorf.   Of course that will not work either because we are not in Russia.

Really, there is nowhere one can go on the internet without encountering people's simplistic political opinions. We truly live in an age of idiocy.