US Presidential Election Fallout

1,209 posts in this topic

Trump impeachment: Several Republicans to join Democrats in House vote

The US House of Representatives is expected to hold a vote to impeach President Donald Trump over his role in last week's storming of Congress.

Democrats accuse the president of encouraging his supporters to attack the Capitol building. Five people died.

Members of Mr Trump's Republican party say they will join Democrats to impeach him on Wednesday, formally charging the president with inciting insurrection.

President Trump has rejected any responsibility for the violence.

The riot last Wednesday happened after Mr Trump told supporters at a rally in Washington DC to "fight like hell" against the result of November's election.

State of DC deputy attorney general.

We finally have an interview from somebody in government, competent, excellent speaker, and obviously bitching about the Capitol being defiled.

On the types of cases that the Justice Department is charging, Sherwin said, the "gamut of cases" and misconduct that they're looking at "is really mind-blowing."
This includes "significant felony cases tied to sedition and conspiracy," he said. Those charges would carry prison terms of up to 20 years.
Looking at those charges is a "strike force" in the DC US Attorney's Office, Sherwin added.
"Their only marching orders," he said, are to build sedition and conspiracy charges related to "the most heinous acts that occurred in the Capitol, and these are significant charges that have felonies with a prison terms of up to 20 years."

More winning -

New York City will terminate business contracts with President Donald Trump after last week's insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced Wednesday.

“I’m here to announce that the city of New York is severing all contracts with the Trump Organization,” de Blasio said in an interview on MSNBC.

De Blasio said the Trump Organization earns about $17 million a year in profits from its contracts to run two ice skating rinks and a carousel in Central Park as well as a golf course in the Bronx.

here

Still above the law-

House Republicans are refusing to follow new safety rules at the Capitol and go through metal detectors after a deadly riot threatened their lives just one week ago.

Lawmakers made their way into the chamber Tuesday night to vote on whether to invoke the 25th Amendment to remove President Donald Trump from office after he incited a mob of his supporters to storm the Capitol on Jan. 6 in an effort to overturn the election results.

As part of new safety precautions in response to the insurrection, lawmakers must now walk through metal detectors to enter the chamber and vote. But many Republican members of Congress threw a fit at the idea of going through the same security check that everyone else does when entering the Capitol.

here

New York City will terminate business contracts with President Donald Trump after last week's insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced Wednesday.  “I’m here to announce that the city of New York is severing all contracts with the Trump Organization,” de Blasio said in an interview on MSNBC.

That and other fallout for the Trump Organization will surely hit the Trump offspring too. I've been wondering whether the Trump to beware of in politics in future will be Ivanka, who seems comparatively quiet and therefore possibly a more serious or at least more calculating contender than her brothers. Have found these:

Vanity Fair: Ivanka Trump Apparently Thinks She’s Going to Ride This Insurrection Out and Be President One Day

The Cut: Will We Ever Be Rid of Her?

Daily Mirror: Ivanka Trump plans to attend Joe Biden's inauguration 'to save political career'

The article of impeachment, incitement of insurrection, is now being read on the House floor before the debate begins.

The article reads, in part,

“In his conduct while President of the United States — and in violation of his constitutional oath faithfully to execute the office of President of the United States and, to the best of his ability, preserve, provide, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States and in violation of his constitutional duty to take care that the laws be faithfully executed — Donald John Trump engaged in high Crimes and Misdemeanors by inciting violence against the Government of the United States ...

“Donald John Trump, by such conduct, has demonstrated that he will remain a threat to national security, democracy, and the Constitution if allowed to remain in office, and has acted in a manner grossly incompatible with self-governance and the rule of law. Donald John Trump thus warrants impeachment and trial, removal from office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any office of honor, trust, or profit under the United States.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2021/jan/13/donald-trump-impeachment-nancy-pelosi-joe-biden-mike-pence-congress-covid-coronavirus-live-updates

1 hour ago, Lorelei said:

I've been wondering whether the Trump to beware of in politics in future will be Ivanka, who seems comparatively quiet and therefore possibly a more serious or at least more calculating contender than her brothers. Have found these:

Vanity Fair: Ivanka Trump Apparently Thinks She’s Going to Ride This Insurrection Out and Be President One Day

The Cut: Will We Ever Be Rid of Her?

Daily Mirror: Ivanka Trump plans to attend Joe Biden's inauguration 'to save political career'

Can she just turn up?

Doesn't she need an invitation?

She isn't a minister or a cabinet member, just the orange one's daughter.

Bad enough when trying to engage Chancellor Merkel in conversation (which Angie pulled a "who are you" face

:wacko:

"Vengeance is mine", sayeth the ex wife. Must have been so satisfying.

"The former wife of retired Lt. Col Larry Rendall Brock Jr., 53, called the FBI's National Threat Operations Center on Friday to report that she'd recognized her ex, who was pictured carrying plastic handcuffs and wearing full military gear, from the footage." (Daily Mail)

"Brock Jr., 53, (left, and pictured with his current wife Katya, right) was turned in by his ex-wife who called the FBI" 

Brock1.jpg

Brock2.jpg

1 hour ago, Lorelei said:

"Vengeance is mine", sayeth the ex wife. Must have been so satisfying.

"The former wife of retired Lt. Col Larry Rendall Brock Jr., 53, called the FBI's National Threat Operations Center on Friday to report that she'd recognized her ex, who was pictured carrying plastic handcuffs and wearing full military gear, from the footage." (Daily Mail)

"Brock Jr., 53, (left, and pictured with his current wife Katya, right) was turned in by his ex-wife who called the FBI" 

Brock1.jpg

Brock2.jpg

Ouch😂

Sort of reminds me of a comment I read somewhere about a Brexit voter who said he had voted for Brexit so the British authorities could kick his ex- ( South African!!) wife out of Britain!!

3 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

For our younger readers: that's Uncle Fester next to Jackie Coogan

Screenshot 2021-01-13 at 22.46.03.jpg

5 hours ago, fraufruit said:

But many Republican members of Congress threw a fit at the idea of going through the same security check that everyone else does when entering the Capitol.

Those same checks many schoolkids have to go through in school because of peoples rights to be armed.

Thoughts and prayers to the congress people who have to go through this.

27 minutes ago, john_b said:

For our younger readers: that's Uncle Fester next to Jackie Coogan

Put a light bulb in his mouth

23 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Those same checks many schoolkids have to go through in school because of peoples rights to be armed.

Thoughts and prayers to the congress people who have to go through this.

Prayer is really the best way to help. 

5fff713c1986a_prayervsdoingsomething.jpg

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/01/trump-supporter-violence-capitol-attack-inauguration.html

“All Bets Are Off the Next Few Weeks”

A extremism expert watching the Trump fringes now has never been more worried.

[...]

On the ground, I saw Boogaloo Boys, Q supporters, and buttoned-up Republican types all joined forces. Do you think violent extremist groups have become indistinguishable from the rank-and-file people who showed up?

Have you ever come across the concept of millenarianism, something that religious scholars talk about? It’s a fairly obscure term. It refers to the onset of the millennium. Some ideologies, particularly religious ideologies, talk about affairs in terms of an impending catastrophe. Trump succeeded in convincing many millions of people that a catastrophe is coming. This is how he was so effective in polarizing the American public. I think there is a legacy here that we’re not going to be able to appreciate for likely a generation—seeing how conspiracy theories and misinformation, disinformation, has affected people. I mean, this is down to a family level. I’ve spoken to friends over the last several days and they said, “Listen, I can’t talk to my family about this stuff. It’s tearing us apart.”

[...]

What do you think the Capitol moment means for these extremist groups going forward? What are you seeing in the groups you monitor?

It’s a rallying cry. I have seen chatter that suggests there are credible attempts to coordinate violent protests at each of the state capitals. That makes sense because these groups are spread out. I’m not worried about the people that were caught up in these arrests. I’m not worried about the people that were at the protest. I’m worried about the Timothy McVeighs who are out there now realizing that their time has come. They are radicalized. They are mobilized. They are bereft of direction because their leader for whom they are clearly ready to give their lives has lost the platform that he needs to communicate with them, so now they’re trying to figure out what to do, and it makes them unpredictable. After the IRA tried to kill Margaret Thatcher in 1984 and she survived, they said, “Remember, we only have to be lucky once. You have to be lucky always.” That’s where we are right now.

[...]

If you had to predict what the next year will look like, what do you see happening, broadly?

Violence, mistrust, and utter confusion. I think we have no ability to understand the consequences on us. If we don’t take misinformation and disinformation seriously, and if we don’t treat it like the public health crisis it is, we’re never going to find our way out of this hole. I firmly believe we do not have any real sense of just how bad things are. This is something that is affecting every single person in the country. It is something for which there is absolutely no plan to deal with. And this insurrection is only a symptom of the consequences of allowing disinformation to go unchecked.

The fact that millions of people are willing to believe that the election truly was stolen. The fact that hundreds of people were willing to lay down their lives for Donald Trump. I mean, we can’t even have agreement over what constitutes facts anymore. What began as sound bites and clichés like “fake news” and all of these things that we just dismissed as farce a few years ago—this is the accumulation of that. Deradicalization was always meant to be this lower-level, one-on-one type engagement, but the reality is we’re going to have to figure out how to have conversations with people again. We’re talking about basic stuff here.