US Presidential Election Fallout

1,310 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

because Trump can be impeached after leaving, too

Are you sure? I haven't found confirmation yet!

20 hours ago, BethAnnBitt said:

They should really go to prison for this.  It is so clear how sick they are.

Presumably it was too chilly for golf. :rolleyes: 

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Seems that the people who flew to D.C. to take part in the insurrection may be put on the no-fly list.

the rest here

Wow, that link contains a very angry statement by Meghan McCain, a conservative columnist and daughter of Republican Senator McCain, calling Trump a "mad king" and the Capitol Hill rioters "scum of the earth". Wikipedia lists her political position as a "Republican with liberal leanings".
I have the feeling a new wing of less fundamentalist/crazy/unquestioning Republicans is forming in the GOP.

Regardless if this leads to a split or a reform of the GOP, it gives me hope. Especially after seeing the disruptions by GOP senators on the Senate floor *after* the counting of the Electoral College votes resumed. One of them had to be removed.

American political culture needs to change, starting with both parties.

3 minutes ago, Metall said:

I have the feeling a new wing of less fundamentalist/crazy/unquestioning Republicans is forming in the GOP.

Yes, the old Republican party before Obama got elected and all of the racism surfaced. It was always there, of course. They just got more brazen when the black man was elected. Trump spread the whole birther theory. He was already inciting violence back then.

I've just watched a CNN video where we get 20 seconds of screaming from a capitol office trapped in a door with a mob surging in 1 second waves to the door. We see serious violence with 20 capitol police in the front line.

At first I thought this was the police officer who dies but I think that's a separate incident.

However, a police officer was being injured by a mob, who already breached the perimeter, and were trying to gain access to a more secure area. It was more secure either because it led to VIPs: congressmen, senators, or sensitive offices like Pelosi. No need to correct me I know Pelosi's office was breached.

Why wasn't deadly force used at this point. Let's say a high ranking commander took 4 armed officers, announced lethal force was authorised, gave a countdown, and then 1 shot was fired, over the heads of the frontline police, into the legs of the front of the mobs. Pretty random, but ask an anti government demonstrator in Africa. Pretty scary even if you're not hit.

After 1 second another shot, and then 4 shots each second. The mob would back off, screaming lawyer, ambulance, treason etc but they would disperse. Gunfire disperses mobs.

Now let's say it takes 10 shots to really convince them this is serious. There's about 10 shooting victims. Theoretically there could be more than 10 if a bullet got lucky and went through 2 people, and less than 10 if a bullet was unlucky. 5 of them die. Another 100 are injured in the stampede, 10 of whom die.

So my little scenario has 15 protestor deaths and about 100 injuries.

Is that bad fallout when we had a scenario that 200 of the highest VIPs are cowering in or evacuated from their debate halls? Calls to hang the VP, and kidnap Pelosi.

Let's imagine Trump had won and a BLM demonstration outside congress incited by some famous, radical black fellow turned ugly, and they stormed the capitol trying to interrupt vote certification. We would be asking why were only 10 shots fired, and 100 injured.

Hell 1000s of unviolent, unarmed black men have been shot and killed by US police over the last 10 years because the officer was fearful for his safety.

Weren't they afraid for their safety when a mob was surging and a colleague was being injured. Would they have been afraid for their safety if the rioters were black?

19 hours ago, Metall said:

I took a very good look at the screens visible in the clip, and I'd say this is from just before the rally (before Trump spoke).

We need to be careful with our facts - don't do what the Trumpanzees and QAnon nutters do.

Thanks, Metall. That's what I was wondering too, and it's in fact what the Daily Mail (below) is saying. It seems that Trump's sons and Don Jr's girlfriend were using words like "fight" and "fighting", including when speaking to the crowd. It's sickening. Also the fact that his family should have any input at all in running the country, as if under an old royal system, let alone in inciting violence. I hope they're brought to book and I hope American politics can recover.

Dancing on edge: Don Jr. shares behind-the-scenes look at Trump getting hyped up before his rally speech as his giddy girlfriend Kimberly Guilfoyle rocks out to Laura Branigan's Gloria - hours before crowd marched on Capitol

Just noticed this about the rioter in combat gear carrying the zip ties. Another former member of the armed forces, like the woman rioter shot dead.

Retired Lieutenant Colonel is identified as the MAGA rioter carrying zip ties who appeared to exit Nancy Pelosi's vandalized office - as his family say he became obsessed with Trump and believes in taking over the country

It seems that he'd been "following 'the alternative-news-source world'". Sounds as if it had driven him crazy as he must surely have had to be pretty stable mentally to reach the ranks of lieutenant colonel. How many more of those rioters had the sense driven out of them by reading/watching online rubbish? No-one rioting and taking selflies then posting them online can be thinking straight for a start.

10 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

Why wasn't deadly force used at this point. Let's say a high ranking commander took 4 armed officers, announced lethal force was authorised, gave a countdown, and then 1 shot was fired, over the heads of the frontline police, into the legs of the front of the mobs.

I'll take a step back in time here - why wasn't force used to prevent entry of the Capitol to start with?

Why not when the mob breached the perimeters *outside* the Capitol?

German police likes to use water cannons to scatter large numbers of rioters. Works pretty well - they are effective, hardly ever kill people, and the threshold to use them is much lower because it's not deadly force. Doesn't anybody in the various police forces involved/National Guard have those?

I believe the answer to why more deadly force wasn't used is because of the sheer numbers. Their weren't nearly enough Capitol police and the one guy has already resigned because he was going to get fired anyway.

When you have several thousand angry people who are willing to give their lives for the cause, they would simply overpower any police who raised their weapons. Even after one or two were shot. 

There was little to no law enforcement never mind water cannons and such. They didn't think white people would do this.

1 minute ago, fraufruit said:

A Trump mob in LA attacked a black lady on Wed. just because.

here

Animals

FAAFO gets another taker.

Florida authorities say they've arrested one of the alleged Capitol rioters Friday night who was seen in a viral photograph carrying Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s lectern through the halls.

Adam Johnson, 36, of Parrish, Florida, is being held in Pinellas County Jail and pending charges after federal marshalls picked him up, according to arrest records.

Johnson is allegedly the man in the photo taken during Wednesday's raid of the U.S. Capitol by Donald Trump's supporters where he is waving to the camera while holding the lectern in his right arm, according to investigators. Johnson, who was clean shaven in his mugshot, appeared in the photo with a beard and a wool hat with "Trump" written on the top.

Photos from his now-deleted social media page showed him inside the Capitol.

faafo.jpg

And, no, my delight every time one of these folks finds out will not diminish. They deserve it.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

A Trump mob in LA attacked a black lady on Wed. just because.

here

Which is why my neighbor, a black ex-GI, lives in Germany.

Maybe there will be a few silver linings from this whole mess.

Google has suspended "free speech" social network Parler from its Play Store over its failure to remove "egregious content".

Parler styles itself as "unbiased" social media and has proved popular with people banned from Twitter.

But Google said the app had failed to remove posts inciting violence.

Apple has also warned Parler it will remove the app from its App Store if it does not comply with its content-moderation requirements.

here

At least two Seattle police officers have been placed on leave and are being investigated for their alleged involvement in the U.S. Capitol protests.

The Seattle Police Department released a statement Friday night saying that it was made aware Friday of the officers' involvement in the Jan. 6 siege and is now taking the appropriate measures.

"The Department fully supports all lawful expressions of First Amendment freedom of speech, but the violent mob and events that unfolded at the U.S. Capitol were unlawful and resulted in the death of another police officer," Chief Adrian Diaz said in the statement, referring to Brian Sicknick, who died of injuries he sustained during the attack.

the rest

11 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Fome your link:

In a statement late Friday, FBI Assistant Director in Charge Steven M. D'Antuono said in a press call,

"Just because you've left the D.C. region, you can still expect a knock on the door if we find out that you were part of criminal activity inside the Capitol. Bottom line—the FBI is not sparing any resources in this investigation."

Rightly so.

Another putz receives the FAAFO Award

Doug Jensen, a 41-year-old Des Moines man, is in custody in the Polk County Jail, Sgt. Ryan Evans of the Polk County Sheriff's Office confirmed Saturday morning.

Jensen was arrested and charged by the FBI, Evans said. 

The FBI said they could not comment on the arrest and referred the Register to the U.S. Attorney's Office in Washington, D.C. — who was not immediately available — for comment on the specific charges.

Jensen appears in a photo array by the FBI seeking more information about the violence at the Capitol. 

Jensen was identified in multiple videos and photographs at the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday wearing a "QAnon" T-shirt over a sweatshirt and a knit cap. In one photograph, his arms are spread wide while confronting a police officer.

Jensen posted multiple photographs of himself attending the Capitol invasion, in addition to replying to other accounts associated with the "QAnon" conspiracy community on social media asking if they liked his shirt.

Yet here I sit, unbothered, in my home. Must be something to that "don't break the law" principle I follow.

4 hours ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

Why wasn't deadly force used at this point. Let's say a high ranking commander took 4 armed officers, announced lethal force was authorised, gave a countdown, and then 1 shot was fired, over the heads of the frontline police, into the legs of the front of the mobs. Pretty random, but ask an anti government demonstrator in Africa. Pretty scary even if you're not hit.

After 1 second another shot, and then 4 shots each second. The mob would back off, screaming lawyer, ambulance, treason etc but they would disperse. Gunfire disperses mobs.

Now let's say it takes 10 shots to really convince them this is serious. There's about 10 shooting victims. Theoretically there could be more than 10 if a bullet got lucky and went through 2 people, and less than 10 if a bullet was unlucky. 5 of them die. Another 100 are injured in the stampede, 10 of whom die.

So my little scenario has 15 protestor deaths and about 100 injuries.

What if the mob shoots back?

23 minutes ago, katheliz said:

What if the mob shoots back?

Then you shoot the shooters. Blacks get shot because the police suspect they are armed. 

Are you staying the police should not use guns because the other side has guns?