Raising rent during Covid, Water meter change payment

12 posts in this topic

Hello and greetings fellow Toytowners, I have some questing regarding the two topics aforementioned in the title.

So our landlord decided to raise our rent starting from January 2021, they told us informally about it for now but they will send it to us in writing as well. I am interested if they are really allowed to raise our rent during these critical times? My wife is on and off with her job (works in a hotel ergo Kurzarbeit) and I am without a job at the moment (working on resolving that at the moment) and it feels like they just want to get at us for a few minor disputes that we had (older people that tend to hold a grudge for silly things). They did not raise our neighbours rent in the last 6-7 years (they plan on doing it for them as well) nor ours for the last 2 and a half years. So I am just wondering at the legality of them doing it now in this moment.

Second is the question about the water meters. They informed us that the water meters, both warm and cold, are to be changed at every 10 year interval (they apparently didn't know about this rule which I think they are lying because they own this house for a lot longer than that) and that the costs for the change are gonna be on us. I tried looking up some laws about it and I am not sure about it 100% because my German is not up to that level when it comes to laws I understand but not perfectly. If anyone could clear it up for me I would be very grateful.

I would appreciate any insight into these matters from you people. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Cheers!

Don't agree to any rent raise. If you pay more, that means you agree to it. You don't pay for new water meters and they don't have to be changed every 10 years.

Join your local Mietverein on Monday if possible. Let them deal with your landlord and give you guidance.

Your landlord is trying to pull one over on you.

Good luck! 

Since I moved into my house almost 6 years ago, I have had the water meter changed as well as one for the heat but I didn't ask for it and didn't have to pay for it.  If the supplier feels that they need to swap out the meters every x yrs, they should pay.

7 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Don't agree to any rent raise. If you pay more, that means you agree to it.

I´m not aware of any legal obstacle preventing a landlord from raising rent due to corona and not agreeing to pay doesn´t mean you won´t have to. It´s probably too late now to raise the rent by January though. AFAIR there is usually a notice period required (3 months ?).  If you can´t get an appointment with the MIeterverein in time I´d suggest to pay under reservation of the right to reclaw and expressively without acknowledging that the raise was justified so that you can claim back any unjustified payments. Simply not paying while not being sure about the legality is risky as it might incur legal costs.

As far as the water meter is concerned I´m not sure. I only remember that my electricity meter had to be either restandardised or changed and as changing was cheaper I opted for that. With that in mind it could be argued that restandardising meters is part of maintenance for which usually the tenant can be charged via the utility bill.

Our water meters were changed a few years back with no charge to us. Same with the radiator meter thingies.

We would not charge our renter if his need changing for some reason. It is our property. He won't take them with him.

The landlord can raise the rent AFAIK with a 3 month notice but no more than 20% per 3 years, 15% in some places, and not above the mietspiegel.  The 3 months notice for the raise is there for you to give your notice on the apartment if you don't agree with the increase.  

12 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Our water meters were changed a few years back with no charge to us. Same with the radiator meter thingies.

I agree.

My water meter was changed last month after receiving an appointment letter from Hamburg Wasser. For free, of course.

11 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Same with the radiator meter thingies.

You most probably paid for them indirectly via your utility bill. The companies providing them (e. g. Kalorimeta, Techem etc.) will bake their cost into their service fee so the landlord isn´t charged for them directly. The service fee however is part of your heating costs.

44 minutes ago, jeba said:

You most probably paid for them indirectly via your utility bill. The companies providing them (e. g. Kalorimeta, Techem etc.) will bake their cost into their service fee so the landlord isn´t charged for them directly. The service fee however is part of your heating costs.

Same here, in our previous place it was a mix of renters and owner-occupiers.

We were owners - at the annual meeting it was stated that the cost of switching the meters or possible introduction of new meters in the future was to be borne by all owners equally - depending on how much of the building they owned.

Additionally however it was mentioned that owners who rented out could pass the costs on. Tenants do not always get a full break-down of what is being charged - and often it's just mentioned as 'service charge'. :rolleyes: 

Heating and water is a tenants problem as far as costs go - an owner may be obliged to provide adequate heating and warm water - costs though are billed to occupants as they are the ones using it. ;) 

Ok thanks for all the insight people, I will make sure to check and join the Mietverein tomorrow. It is good to hear that there is a 3 month notice period before they raise the rent, because we got no formal letter as of yet and they can't just come mid December and say hey we are gonna raise it starting January. Think they planed on doing it like that. Sadly I have experience with these people and they tend to "improvise" or pull some rules out of their behinds just to justify something that they want to do even though they themselves don't understand the rules and laws. Like saying they got letters from Finanzamt about things and then making empty threats without ever showing the letters of course. They did stuff like that to other people (with us knowing that they are lying and even openly saying so) and now they want to do the same things to us, I don't know if they think we are stupid or what :D might have been able to pull this off when we first came here but not anymore.

Think it is the same thing with the water meters, they just came up and were like yeaaaaah the company that does the measuring said that all of a sudden the meters need to be changed every 10 years and we have to pay for it until another 10 years pass and we have to then pay for another change. I can't begin to express how bad of an actor the woman is when she tries to sell things like this.

Once again thanks for all the tips it was very useful.