Family Planning - non EU Student in Germany, German Partner - overseas birth?

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am a non-EU Student in Germany and my boyfriend is German. I came to study here, after 3 years LDR, and we have been living together for 2 years.

We are discussing about starting a family soon and it´s very complicated! My Partner is working but doesn´t earn much (social worker, <2k euro/month). I am on private Student Health Insurance (Vela: a wrong decision, what to do).

- would it be easier if we marry first (insurance for me and the child)?

- would marrying give us any financial benefits?

- How would this affect my Student Visa? I have 2 more years till I graduate. I am fine graduating later or studying while being a mother. We would rather start sooner rather than later.

- Also a dilemma of our LDR: it's my wish that the child be born in my home country, Malaysia, to obtain Malaysian citizenship. This would be important if we/I ever wanted to return to Malaysia. I would at least like to keep this option open for my child.

- Could I come back with my baby to study? What additional procedures are there or what are problems could we encounter?

We know having a baby is a big commitment, so we want to make a best choice we can.

If anyone has been in this situation, we would greatly appreciate your advice! Even if you can point us to where we can find definitive information, that would be so helpful. Thank you!

Being married would get you proper health insurance to deal with your prenatal needs and in case there are complications. 

The financial benefits include no longer paying for insurance and filing taxes together.  Your partner might keep a bit more of his pay check when you don't have an income.

Visa benefits would be applying for a spouse visa.

As for bringing the baby back with you I could imagine some red tape there possibly. You might have to apply for the baby to get German citizenship before returning.  With a German father it shouldn't be a problem though.

If you have malesyan citizenship, is it not automatically the case that your children have the right to it as well, no matter where they are born?

From your wording it seems not so

"my wish that the child be born in my home country, Malaysia, to obtain Malaysian citizenship"

you could be right but i found it super strange.