Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Pyur telling me I need to switch

12 posts in this topic

Hi everyone I really need some help. A man came to my apartment building and told me that the building is now switching over to the pyur internet provider due to the old VDSL connections not working anymore ( for tenants on the 4th and 5th floors). He was a representative of the company and was talking to multiple other tenants at the time. His explanation was as follows. The apartment glass fiber was built by their company and everyone is switching over with no change to the tariff. The company was paid through Nebenkosten already and all they need to do is activate the connection at a certain date and give us out new boxes (which are also already paid for by Nebenkosten). I tried to explain I wasn't interested and he and the other tenants explained that if I didn't switch and something went wrong I cannot get help to fix it. I'm really confused and unsure whether to say no because I'm happy with my connection or yes because I run the risk of losing all my connection. Is this a scam?

Please help I know this was long but I really need urgent advice

Hope your all doing well 

Joe

It's just an option they were advertising . In case if you want to switch to later then you /landlord need to pay up for extra technician visit to  build the connection on later date , which may be pricy.  

I mean I would 100% agree however he was explaining that my internet would no longer function because of the switch over? So maybe he was just lying to get me to switch?

1 hour ago, JoeLezel said:

I mean I would 100% agree however he was explaining that my internet would no longer function because of the switch over? So maybe he was just lying to get me to switch?

Talk to your landlord or house master. Generally they can't disconnect you from existing Internet. However they can add other connections to the building giving you more choice. Without knowing the complete setup of the building and your current Internet connections, I will just be making wild guesses. 

Also it doest make sense that only 4th and 5th floor will be affected. 

7 minutes ago, vivanco said:

Talk to your landlord or house master. Generally they can't disconnect you from existing Internet. However they can add other connections to the building giving you more choice. Without knowing the complete setup of the building and your current Internet connections, I will just be making wild guesses. 

Also it doest make sense that only 4th and 5th floor will be affected. 

Yeah I'm happy with my internet provider at the moment and due to Coronavirus I may have to leave my apartment soon anyway because I lost my job and am living on savings/debt. His explanation was Telekom will no longer be working on the lines because they are old and if I wanted help with the fix it would cost me money because the service is no longer automatic. Thank you for your help I'll probably just tell him to bugger off because he was so patronising to me 🤣🤣🤣

55 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

55 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

1 hour ago, vivanco said:

I did plan on contacting 1and 1 but tbh I have no doubt that I wouldn't get a straight answer from them either

Contact them and your landlord.

Not sure what kind of answer you are looking for here.

We have 1 & 1 and have been pleased with them for years. Someone came to our door last week trying to get us to change to Mnet. No, thank you.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

2 hours ago, JoeLezel said:

His explanation was Telekom will no longer be working on the lines because they are old

That's a goddamn lie. All these pure access providers like 1&1 have to use the so-called "last mile" (usually the copper telephone lines running into the house that now also transport Internet data, in some areas replaced by fiber optics) provided by the Telekom, one of Germany's few line providers (and also the largest one).

I have never heard of Telekom abandoning their lines, as there's lots of money to be made with those. They do maintain them - how good and efficient that maintenance may be is a different story in the land of no customer service.

I would not be surprised if Internet access fails in part of a building and fixes take  forever. I've worked in networking and have seen a lot of crazy stuff. ;)
BUT:
In a number of cities, providers like MNet and Pyur are laying their own new lines, mostly fibre, and are pushing hard to sell their access products. These lines are in parallel to the old, mostly copper Telekom lines, you might see boxes for both lines in the basement of the same house. :)

Some access providers like 1&1 *might* be switching their last mile to the faster and cheaper fibre lines. But then your access provider must inform you if you need a new DSL router, changes in price etc.!

tldnr:
Call your  Internet provider and ask them if and how your access will continue. Call your Hausverwaltung (management company) and your landlord.

This is a scam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know because some guy came to my house a few months' ago with the same bullshit. I had a huge row with him because of a previous experience I had with a telephone con artist a year beforehand, who signed me up for a deal I did not want, and it took me ages to cancel the contract.

Tell him to f*ck off! 

22 minutes ago, Metall said:

That's a goddamn lie. All these pure access providers like 1&1 have to use the so-called "last mile"

That is not true...  

Things have changed so much  these days...   Many of these new ISPs supply Fibre to the house and even Fiber to the apartment depending on how easy or do-able the cabling is...

We simply can not say whats going on!     

Ask the HV or the landlord.  Before any massive changes are made, its always dealt with at the owners association meeting... 

They are lying. 
Any action required by subscribing customer for continued service of any utility is ALWAYS communicated in writing. 

Sales people tell porkies like this ever day.