Purchase precision rotary lathe spindles/shafts in Germany

10 posts in this topic

Hello All!

I'm looking for a McMaster-Carr type of company here in Germany that sells directly to the consumer. In this specific case, I'm looking for highly precision made rotary shafts that will be used in a lathe. I need a shaft that is 156mm long, 15mm diameter, with at least a .03mm straightness tolerance. Similar to these at McMaster-Carr.

Unfortunately, McMaster-Carr no longer ships to Germany thanks to Trump's trade wars. 

Can anyone direct me to such a company?

Many thanks!

I have no clue about the subject but was wondering what the German terminology was so I did a little bit of googling.  

Would "Rundstahl" be the thing you are looking for? 

https://www.metallzuschnitte-online.de/produkt/zuschnitte/ 

Don't know if those qualities work for you.  Most companies I found offer to make the part you need,  they don't offer material.  

One thing to keep in mind when doing research: "drechseln" is wood turning. If you shape metal on a lathe,  that's "drehen". 

My grandfather was a Dreher and he was very particular about the proper name. ☺

8 hours ago, silty1 said:

So Trump's trade wars mean in this case you don't get the shaft. 

But you do get shafted.

It's all in the grammer...

2 hours ago, maxie said:

Would "Rundstahl" be the thing you are looking for? 

https://www.metallzuschnitte-online.de/produkt/zuschnitte/ 

That is exactly right! Thank you. They only go to H9 tolerances, however. Do you know if any of the other companies go to H6 or better?

Also, I don't know the German tolerance for straightness, which is critical in this case. I.e. This would be a rotary shaft, meaning it needs a straightness tolerance of 0.3mm per 300mm length.  

I bet there are lathe manufacturers in germany and i bet there are lathes in germany and i bet those lathes have shafts.  i'm too lazy otherwise i'd look up the german words for lathe shaft and do a search.