Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tax filing dilemma

4 posts in this topic

I have done my own tax filing for few years (despite my poor German, it seem quite logical and similar to one I did back home) and initially I was getting quite a big refunds but lately I started to pay and each year the amount was bigger. So I lost confidence in my own abilities and wanted to do it with a pro. I got appointment for September but it was cancelled due to  his Corona situation, I got another appointment for October and the guy cancelled again, same reason. In the mean time I got a Erinnerung from tax office to file or face fines (deadline today)

I spoke to the guy and he told me not to worry, its just reminder not a real threat and we have an appointment tomorrow. But I feel insecure, can this really be so that they give me deadline and threat with a 25k fine and I can ignore it and file late without risk?

I saved my own filing inb Elster without sending it ( which will result in  €3600  back-taxes to pay) and am now thinking what shall I do: shall I send my own or wait till tomorrow, risk fines and perhaps the result of his filing will also leave me 3600 short... 

Generally if you file your own taxes deadline is till July end. If you take help from steuer Berater then the deadline is till February or March end next year(not sure). So if you send your own tax now, and if you have to pay back taxes then you will need to pay penalty of 6% pa additional for the month since august to that you owe.  If your Steuerberater send and you owe the same amount, then 6% penalty will not be charged but you will owe the fees to Steuerberater. 

Since you filed your taxes yourself, finanzamt reminds you to file your taxes. 

6 minutes ago, aeroplane said:

thanks Vivanco, Does it also apply if I do it via the Lohnsteurverein ?

Yes, if they put their name and send your forms.