Ikea delivery to home

19 posts in this topic

Hi,

I want to order a refrigerator online from Ikea and under the delivery options I see they are only delivering to the door due to current situation. Can someone tell me what delivery to do the door means in this instant? Will they just leave it outside of the apartment building or deliver it to my apartment door/floor but not inside?

I can understand about other furniture but I highly doubt I can be able to move the refrigerator on my own to any room. Does anyone has a recent experience?

I know it may sound trivial to many of you but this is my first experience furnishing the apartment on my own. :D

Thanks.

20 minutes ago, catjones said:

have you tried calling ikea and asking them?  i bet they would know.

It will depend on the agent that picks up. It may be that they answer from a call-centre in India and just you get some random answer. :) 

From the Ikea website: 

Aufgrund der aktuellen Situation haben wir, abweichend von unseren AGB*1, folgende Anpassungen für unseren Lieferservice vorgenommen:

Bei einer Speditionslieferung wird dir die Ware nur bis zu deiner Wohnungstür geliefert. 

https://www.ikea.com/de/de/customer-service/services/delivery/ 

They will not just leave it outside the building. What if it then gets stolen? You haven't received it. 

They bring it to your flat door. What they currently do not do is bring it inside - apparently.

I think they might even help tip it through the door into the apartment.

What it sounds like they won't do is help you situate it, install it, or assemble it.  I think those are services IKEA usually offers during peacetime.

Perhaps they changed it, but a few years ago they would state they would place the order in the requested room. I remember this because I ordered a 60Kg mattress and they placed it in the bedroom.

I went to ikea.com and under their delivery section I found clarity:

We temporarily changed our Home Delivery to implement social distancing and moved to contactless delivery. Our Home Delivery drivers will now deliver to your covered porch, garage or doorstep. However, in certain markets, the following products may be delivered to your room of choice: 1) Queen and King Beds; 2) Queen and King Mattresses; 3) Kitchen Appliances; 4) Sofa Frames; and 5) PAX Wardrobes. 

the DE page includes:  2.3 Place of delivery: The freight forwarder delivers the goods to the apartment to a desired place of use.

I think the notion of "to your door" applies to the smaller deliveries.

I am assuming the OP is having an appliance delivered to Hamburg or at least somewhere in Germany.

The German Ikea page I already linked to yesterday clearly states currently only up to the flat door.

From the Ikea website: 

Aufgrund der aktuellen Situation haben wir, abweichend von unseren AGB*1, folgende Anpassungen für unseren Lieferservice vorgenommen:

Bei einer Speditionslieferung wird dir die Ware nur bis zu deiner Wohnungstür geliefert. 

Source: https://www.ikea.com/de/de/customer-service/services/delivery/ 

Speditionslieferung usually entails the delivery of an appliance so large that it can't reasonably be sent by parcel post. I assume a fridge can't be parceled up and sent by Deutsche Post Brief-/Waren- Sendung etc.

Of course if you ask the delivery driver nicely, they may bring it inside, but they don't have to. :) 

We're in the middle of a pandemic. Normal procedures went out of the window a long time ago.

16 hours ago, catjones said:

I couldn't findhave you tried calling ikea and asking them?  i bet they would know.

I tried to look at their website but I couldn't find any number or an email address for contacting. May be I'm just too dumb to locate it.:D Not that my German is any good but it would have worth a try.

6 hours ago, lunaCH said:

I am assuming the OP is having an appliance delivered to Hamburg or at least somewhere in Germany.

The German Ikea page I already linked to yesterday clearly states currently only up to the flat door.

From the Ikea website: 

Bei einer Speditionslieferung wird dir die Ware nur bis zu deiner Wohnungstür geliefert. 

Source: https://www.ikea.com/de/de/customer-service/services/delivery/ 

Speditionslieferung usually entails the delivery of an appliance so large that it can't reasonably be sent by parcel post. I assume a fridge can't be parceled up and sent by Deutsche Post Brief-/Waren- Sendung etc.

Of course if you ask the delivery driver nicely, they may bring it inside, but they don't have to. :) 

We're in the middle of a pandemic. Normal procedures went out of the window a long time ago.

That kind of a deal breaker because I'm 100% sure I won't be able to move it to my Kitchen on my own.

1 hour ago, zhaider said:

That kind of a deal breaker because I'm 100% sure I won't be able to move it to my Kitchen on my own.

I would help, only I'm about 800 kilometres away, sorry! :)

4 hours ago, RedMidge said:

Ikea Moorfleet website- scroll to end of page- Services- Kontact und Hilfe. This brings you to an email contact form.

Yeah I saw that but they need order number/receipt in order to contact. Nevertheless, I entered the dummy no. and posted the question anyway. Let's see.

3 hours ago, lunaCH said:

I would help, only I'm about 800 kilometres away, sorry! :)

Would it okay if I send you the DB tickets? :lol: J/K, seems like I need to ask couple of friends to come over then, it just seems strange to me that they don't put on to the desired place.

Just put on a mask when they come and open windows. Keep your distance. Give them a tenner and point to the kitchen. Bob's your uncle.

We successfully had a new stove and oven delivered into the kitchen last week.

10 minutes ago, zhaider said:

Would it okay if I send you the DB tickets?

Yes, I'll PM the address. First class please. :lol:

1 minute ago, fraufruit said:

Lovely. From Ikea?

13 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Just put on a mask when they come and open windows. Keep your distance. Give them a tenner and point to the kitchen. Bob's your uncle.

If Bob’s your uncle, give him ten bob!😂

One of my first memories after i arrived in Dresden and had Ikea furniture delivered to our flat.  Two stinking Germans ringing our doorbell at 7:00 AM, stunk like they hadn't bathed in two weeks and been drinking 24/7 for the last three days.  First thing they asked upon opening my door.  "Können wir Ihre Toilette benutzen?"  Jesus, the stench they left was unbearable.  We had to open all the windows and eat out for the next 2 days.

Mind you, I'm light skinned with anglo features, but my wife has a very exotic look, she has often been mistaken for Middle-eastern, Israeli, Italian, French, etc)  The Ikea delivery dudes ask my wife if she was Turkish.  My wife says "Ne, ne, ich bin spanisch"  And they said "Ohhhh, Spanisch! das ist sehr gut!, in a very relieved way"  That was our first indication that there was a problem with Turkish people in Germany.

2 hours ago, john g. said:

If Bob’s your uncle, give him ten bob!😂

This.  Folding money always works here, just as it does everywhere else.

On 11/16/2020, 7:14:59, fraufruit said:

Nice will try that when they come. Also cheaper then sending First Class tickets to @LunaCH. :D

On 16.11.2020, 20:15:36, Techsmex said:

One of my first memories after i arrived in Dresden and had Ikea furniture delivered to our flat.  Two stinking Germans ringing our doorbell at 7:00 AM, stunk like they hadn't bathed in two weeks and been drinking 24/7 for the last three days.  First thing they asked upon opening my door.  "Können wir Ihre Toilette benutzen?"  Jesus, the stench they left was unbearable.  We had to open all the windows and eat out for the next 2 days.

Mind you, I'm light skinned with anglo features, but my wife has a very exotic look, she has often been mistaken for Middle-eastern, Israeli, Italian, French, etc)  The Ikea delivery dudes ask my wife if she was Turkish.  My wife says "Ne, ne, ich bin spanisch"  And they said "Ohhhh, Spanisch! das ist sehr gut!, in a very relieved way"  That was our first indication that there was a problem with Turkish people in Germany.

Same exact experience except they asked for coffee instead of asking to use the toilet 😂😂