Recommendation for Joint Bank Account

17 posts in this topic

I'm sure this is a frequently repeated topic, but... (I did search the forums, but didn't see anything current which matches our situation.)

Any current suggestions for banks to open a joint Girokonto with a non-German spouse? We just got rejected by DKB, and while they won't tell us why, I suspect it is because my wife currently only has a Fiktionsbescheinigung (temporary residency permit). Given the pace of things due to the pandemic, it's unlikely she will get her "real" residency permit in the near future. We would obviously strongly prefer an account with no monthly fee.

I currently have an N26 account in my name, but they don't offer joint accounts. They also don't issue an "EC" card, just a MasterCard debit card, which isn't accepted everywhere. Otherwise they've been pretty good to deal with.

Comdirect for us, joint, I'm EU but wife temp visa (actually now became perm). Never a fee. 

On 11/14/2020, 8:29:20, Gambatte said:

Comdirect for us, joint, I'm EU but wife temp visa (actually now became perm). Never a fee. 

Thanks, Gambatte. I submitted an application to comdirect, we'll see what happens. At least their application was short...

On 11/14/2020, 8:29:20, Gambatte said:

Same here - we use Comdirect for our Joint account for 10 years now. Never a fee - very happy. 

Back then, I was rejected by DKB even though I had Residence Permit (or even Permanent residency, not sure anymore). So DKB has not changed in all these years! 

On 14/11/2020, 16:57:49, Pfaelzer said:

I currently have an N26 account in my name, but they don't offer joint accounts. They also don't issue an "EC" card, just a MasterCard debit card, which isn't accepted everywhere.

Can you still get EC cards? I thought Maestro cards and/or Mastercard Debit cards replaced them way back. There shouldn't be much difference in level of acceptance if one of these replaced the earlier ones. 

Even Maestro cards themselves are being gradually replaced by Mastercard Debit cards.

I was refused to open an account by DKB too almost 11 yrs. ago.  I don't have the email exchange anymore but as I recall, they said that I did not get enough points in their points system which they did not explain any further, not that they'd have to.  I am from an EEA country so I never had a visa issue but I had been in Germany for less than a year at the time and was not making a lot of money.  I suppose that had something to do with it.

I went to Wüstenrot and was happy there for many years with my free account and credit card.  However, they recently sold their banking operation to OLB (Oldenburg Landesbank) and fees started to creep up and so I recently changed over to Santander which also offers free accounts. 

My neighbour is really happy with Commerzbank with her free joint account although she does pay a yearly fee for her visa card.

My husband (German) and I (non-German) have a joint account at Sparkasse. He already had an account there and it was so easy to just add me to it.

But found the transition easy and effortless. Would recommend.

Himself and I have a joint account with Comdirect. We each have EC cards and Visa cards. No fees.

He is German and I'm American.

5 hours ago, LeonG said:

My neighbour is really happy with Commerzbank with her free joint account although she does pay a yearly fee for her visa card.

A fee which could be avoided by switching or is the visa card part of a package and the fee compulsory?

2 hours ago, lunaCH said:

A fee which could be avoided by switching or is the visa card part of a package and the fee compulsory?

A Visa card is usually not a compulsory part of the package in Germany but there are certain advantages to having everything at the same bank.

On 11/16/2020, 10:48:55, lunaCH said:

Can you still get EC cards? I thought Maestro cards and/or Mastercard Debit cards replaced them way back. There shouldn't be much difference in level of acceptance if one of these replaced the earlier ones. 

Even Maestro cards themselves are being gradually replaced by Mastercard Debit cards.

As near as I can tell, "girocard" is the replacement for "EC", but folks still seem to call them EC cards. It is still a Germany-only direct-debit system, and there are still small shops which won't take anything else, including a MasterCard debit card. My pal at the wine shop downstairs told me there is a huge difference in merchant fees, I don't remember the exact number but EC/girocard was less than €1 per transaction.

1 hour ago, Pfaelzer said:

As near as I can tell, "girocard" is the replacement for "EC", but folks still seem to call them EC cards. It is still a Germany-only direct-debit system, and there are still small shops which won't take anything else, including a MasterCard debit card. My pal at the wine shop downstairs told me there is a huge difference in merchant fees, I don't remember the exact number but EC/girocard was less than €1 per transaction.

How much the merchant pays depends on his contract with the company he gets his card reader from.  A friend of mine is paying 10 cents per transaction for any card but he's paying 12€ a month in other service fees and for renting the card reader.

9 minutes ago, LeonG said:

How much the merchant pays depends on his contract with the company he gets his card reader from.  A friend of mine is paying 10 cents per transaction for any card but he's paying 12€ a month in other service fees and for renting the card reader.

Some card readers have sim cards inside - which entails a mobile subscription as well.

Back in the day, every credit card transaction charged the stores 1 or 2% of the sale. The stores got business and the credit card companies also profited. Problem was back then that, here in Germany, even big stores like Karstadt and the big grocery chains wouldn't  take credit cards. That was all that I had when I first moved here.

Much better now.

12 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Back in the day, every credit card transaction charged the stores 1 or 2% of the sale.

Meanwhile the fees for credit cards have been limited to a maximum of 0.3% by an EU regulation.

2 hours ago, jeba said:

Meanwhile the fees for credit cards have been limited to a maximum of 0.3% by an EU regulation.

AFAIK that only applies to Visa and Mastercard. Amex and Diners may (still) have higher fees in the EU. Corporate cards also can have higher fees. 

Debit card fees are lower - max. 0.2% now. 

However it should be noted that these are only the interchange fees charged by the card issuing bank to the acquiring bank which handles the transaction for the merchant.

The merchant still pays a higher fee than this per transaction because the acquiring bank also charges a small fee to the merchant. 

Only the interbank fees are capped. The acquiring bank can still charge merchants what they want. ;)