How to get delivery people to stop ringing my bell?

16 posts in this topic

Ok, here is my problem. I live on the bottom floor and is the first apartment from the main door. Every time a package is being delivered to someone in the building and they are not home, the delivery guy will ALWAYS ring my door and ask if I want to take the package for them. This happens with all the different delivery companies and sometimes it can be 3-4 times PER DAY! One time, I even told the SAME guy 5 times in one week that I am not interested. Last time I had to threaten him with a harassment charge.

 

How can this be legal in Germany? Why would it be fine to disturb the neighbors every time someone is not home? I work nights and sometime they even wake me up! Some people have told me to disconnect the door bell, but I feel that I should not have to do that. I still want to hear if a friend is visiting or if there is a package that really is for me.

 

What can I do to make this stop? I seriously think this is considered harassment. Is there a list I can sign up for? Do I sue the delivery companies? Putting notes outside the building on the door bell is not allowed by the building management.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think there is a list. This is my intercom. It has an option to switch off the doorbell in case you don't want to be disturbed, because you want to sleep, for example.

 

 

image.png

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LukeSkywalker said:

This is my intercom. It has an option to switch off the doorbell in case you don't want to be disturbed, because you want to sleep, for example.

But not everyone has that model or that option.

Sounds like a massive hassle to me.

The OP might have to cut the wire inside the flat to deactivate it. In some instances it's the only way. 

Tricky though as you might (as in OP's case) want to hear it when friends call or when a parcel is for you.

I sympathise with the OP. It's a ridiculous situation. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

without seeing your inside doorbell-intercom, it might not be that difficult to splice in a simple switch.  turn off when you want quiet, turn on otherwise.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Limelayer said:

How to get delivery people to stop ringing my bell? What can I do to make this stop?

The first step is to wait til the delivery person rings the bell.  (this part is time consuming, as it requires patience and waiting for them to show up).  When they finally arrive and ring the bell, you need to be prepared to quickly open the door and in a loud forceful tone shout “NO!” and give them a treat (chocolate, cookie, glass of wine, beer, bratwurst, etc) .  This is called positive reinforcement.  This will need to be repeated a few times, but I think will resolve your issue.  Note:  If the delivery person in your neighborhood is replaced, you'll need to repeat the steps again.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Techsmex said:

The first step is to wait til the delivery person touches the bell. 

 

3 hours ago, Limelayer said:

I work nights and sometime they even wake me up!

 

Hard to sleep while waiting.

 

Probably best to put a note outside on the bell but there is no room to do so on our outside bell.

 

Perhaps ask the LL to put one of those intercom thingies with an off button. I would even buy the thing and ask them to install it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not on the ground floor but my tactic is simple: I only answer the door when I'm expecting a package.

 

Sometimes if it's a small polite buzz at a weird time of day, I'll check to see if it's a neighbor standing in front of my actual apartment door who wants something from me.  Although even the small polite buzzes are almost always the junk mail people.

 

After a while, whoever does your route will learn that you're not coming to the door unless you're expecting a package.  It somehow evolved that several delivery people did two long rings of the doorbell to signify it was for me, although once a sneaky Dickens tried to pull that on me and it almost worked, except I knew I hadn't ordered anything.

 

Unless you have people you know who show up at your door uninvited, this should work pretty easily and won't take that long to have an effect on the delivery people.  They'll find some other sucker in your building to palm the packages off on, or, gasp shock actually attempt to deliver it to the recipient!!  As long as you answer the bell or open the door they will never leave you alone.  Simply don't go to the door if you're not expecting anything or anybody.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

I'm not on the ground floor but my tactic is simple: I only answer the door when I'm expecting a package.

 

Sometimes if it's a small polite buzz at a weird time of day, I'll check to see if it's a neighbor standing in front of my actual apartment door who wants something from me.  Although even the small polite buzzes are almost always the junk mail people.

 

After a while, whoever does your route will learn that you're not coming to the door unless you're expecting a package.  It somehow evolved that several delivery people did two long rings of the doorbell to signify it was for me, although once a sneaky Dickens tried to pull that on me and it almost worked, except I knew I hadn't ordered anything.

 

Unless you have people you know who show up at your door uninvited, this should work pretty easily and won't take that long to have an effect on the delivery people.  They'll find some other sucker in your building to palm the packages off on, or, gasp shock actually attempt to deliver it to the recipient!!  As long as you answer the bell or open the door they will never leave you alone.  Simply don't go to the door if you're not expecting anything or anybody.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lunaCH said:

The OP might have to cut the wire inside the flat to deactivate it. In some instances it's the only way. 

Tricky though as you might (as in OP's case) want to hear it when friends call or when a parcel is for you.

I sympathise with the OP. It's a ridiculous situation. 

Just put a simple switch in between, not a permanent wire cute. Some electric panels already have a switch to cut off the bell, you might want to check that.

In Portugal I disabled my bell for 7 years, before moving here. All my packages would be delivered at work. All friends and family either had the key or they knew my phone number.

Everyone else can fuck off.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, catjones said:

without seeing your inside doorbell-intercom, it might not be that difficult to splice in a simple switch.  turn off when you want quiet, turn on otherwise.

Hmm, finding the right wire for my intercom was not that easy....

 

 

image.jpeg

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Just put a simple switch in between

 

Easy for you to say.

 

And would this simple switch enable on to turn the buzzer on and off? So which wire to connect it to?

 

Again, ask the LL. If my tenant requested such a thing, I would send an electrician around to make sure it's done properly.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My electrician (Meister) and his apprentice were at a loss at some stage to install the new intercom. I asked him what on earth are all these wires for. His reply:"Keine Ahnung." Hmm, very professional reply. It took them 2 hours instead of the planned 30 minutes. They had to cancel other appointments for that day. My building is from 1905 :). He charged 1 hour only, but the bill was for the Hausverwaltung.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@fraufruit, sorry for my wording, I meant to have it done if one does not have the skills.

Vast majority of doorbells are low voltage, there is no danger of electrocution. Of course, first you test, if you have the proper equipment.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

It somehow evolved that several delivery people did two long rings of the doorbell to signify it was for me

Ah the old 'postman always rings twice' tactic. Nice.

11 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

once a sneaky Dickens tried to pull that on me and it almost worked, except I knew I hadn't ordered anything.

Oh no. It could have been a set of saucepans you won in a prize draw. :) 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

haha, nope, don't sign up for raffles and other assorted spam and dross.  No one is ever going to show up at my house with a cardboard check.  Don't play the lottery.

 

Every once in a while someone has sent me a gift as a surprise.  Usually they fit into the mailbox (books, photos, mixtape whatever) or I get the double ring; in a pinch I've had to get an unexpected package off a neighbor or from the post office but it has been a very long time.  I'm no longer at the age where people from home send you random care packages or show up unannounced, so like a good proper middle-aged person I usually have an idea of who and what are showing up at my door on any given day.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now