Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Housing with German wife

4 posts in this topic

I will soon be marrying a German National and want to be able to live housing with her. However I will ets in just under a year. Will we be eligible to get any on or off post housing? Does being married to a German National allow me to extend longer in Germany even if I am almost done with my 3 year tour?

The best source of accurate answers to all of your questions in this forum are in your unit's S1 and/or your 1SG.

Edit to add:  Assuming you do get married (congratulations in advance!) and ETS within a year, what do you plan on doing in Germany?  Do you have any skills and training that are in demand for any of the U.S. Government contractors in the Stuttgart area that would enable to you have Technical Expert status and remain in Germany under the NATO SOFA?  If not, you will need a Plan B that will satisfy the immigration and residency requirements.

16 hours ago, JG52 said:

The best source of accurate answers to all of your questions in this forum are in your unit's S1 and/or your 1SG.

Edit to add:  Assuming you do get married (congratulations in advance!) and ETS within a year, what do you plan on doing in Germany?  Do you have any skills and training that are in demand for any of the U.S. Government contractors in the Stuttgart area that would enable to you have Technical Expert status and remain in Germany under the NATO SOFA?  If not, you will need a Plan B that will satisfy the immigration and residency requirements.

Do you know how I can contact the contractors in Stuttgart?

There are a few reasonably well-written PDFs available if you google "USAREUR marriage German citizen" which I'm sure you've read but in case you haven't, go for it. I think the legal offices generally have handouts on it as well.

If you are active duty then no, simply being married to a German doesn't per se allow you to extend your tour in Germany. That said, of course you see quite a number of military and civilian people who have stayed quite a while in Germany and who have been shall we say creative in getting extended. Maybe doing an unaccompanied hardship tour somewhere if the promise to extend you in Germany or moving to another location in Germany (both not really attractive as newlyweds, I agree).

Housing wise, I think you just add her as a dependent and then your housing situation/allowance will change. Whether that will allow you to move somewhere else if you have less than a year left who knows?

If you are going to the US then get on getting your wife a green card as soon as you can!

Definitely agree with JG52 - unit S1/1SG will know more.