Marvel milk powder

22 posts in this topic

Being in Germany now 3 months. Certain things I'm missing. 

First it was squash.. I'm pretty sure they don't sell it here! I've bought what I think is squash 3 times but it turned out to be a ready drinkable juice. Not concentrate. 

It's a shame because buying several bottles of juice means more to carry from the shop. And I think more expensive? 

But now I've discovered milk powder other than baby powder is unavailable too. I Ida's this in cooking aswell as coffee. 

Am I wrong or is this actually available with some obscure name or shop? 

for coffee there is Kaffeeweisser...  but its no good got cooking and as fo "Squosh"...  there is "TriTop" syrup in many different flavours!

but as you dont say where you live, its hard to give more precise info

Coffee mate is disgusting!! It's not even real milk. I think it's cornstarch. 

Marvel when you make it up in jug is in my opinion passable as milk. 

As I say I also use it for cooking. Such as making bread, when I want to add the milky texture but not extra water from milk. I seem to get much better results from milk powder. No idea, why. 

So tritop? Is it in Penny aldi or lidl or something else? 

While we're on the subject of thing we miss from the UK. My pregnant wife is constantly on about how she is going to need more clothes post birth and there aren't cheap clothes like primark here? I think she's angling for expensive brands but if there are cheap stores I can keep my eye out for?  

Otherwise I suppose it'll be online

I'm in Filderstadt BTW.. 

23 minutes ago, Taffyhereford said:

It's not even real milk. I think it's cornstarch

Indeed it is corn (partially), it's also lactose free. I've never tried it. 

I used to use Tea-mate for a while in the UK - I don't know if it still exists, or how different the recipe was, but I much prefer milk.

I bought this at Rewe; it was either near the H-milch (UHT, long shelf life) or near the Kaffeeweisser.

I use it for baking.

262330D8-ABDD-4E5E-9F89-A53EDCCC2061.jpeg

2 hours ago, Taffyhereford said:

My pregnant wife is constantly on about how she is going to need more clothes post birth and there aren't cheap clothes like primark here?

There is a Primark in Berlin, they also have an online store and deliver Germany-wide, if she's familiar enough with their selection to order there.

Comparable stores for cheap clothing are C & A, H&M to some degree, and TKMaxx.  C & A is OK for when you just need it to be cheap and simple and to look good for a season or two.  TKMaxx is a bit of a headache to sift through because it's all discontinued items and not necessarily all at dirt cheap prices.  But maybe some more unique items you won't find at the other discount stores.

so many!  They made such a big deal about the one that went up here that I thought it must be the first, or the only.  That was a few years ago though.  And maybe it was such a big deal because it was at Alexanderplatz... I dunno.  I set foot inside there once, was immediately overwhelmed and virtually RAN back out the door.  I can't remember what it was that set me off, I think it was a combination of music/announcements over the loudspeaker, way too many people, and way too much selection, complete sensory overload.  Never been back  :lol:

You can order Marvel from amazon.co.uk too. Sometimes cheaper than the German website...often the same supplier.  Delivery prices usually aren’t too bad if you combine with other items. The closest we’ve found to squash here are ranges of cordials.  Our local Rewe and Edeka stock most of the John’s Juice range.  
https://www.johns-juice.de/

We sometimes order from britishcornershop.co.uk.  They sell Marvel too and much more.  It’s more expensive than UK supermarkets though everything is packed very carefully with quick delivery...never had any breakages.  If you wanted to order from them, have a google for a discount code. I usually find 10-15% off especially for first order. Free delivery over a certain order value too.

I found a large bag of milk powder at the Indian store. 

Capri Sun is getting ready to launch a squash product, i think it might even be on the shelves...

I buy Sirup (which I understand is what is called squash in the UK) at Edeka, they have both Mautner Markhof and YO brand. It is a bit hidden away, near the wine/liquor, but there is quite a selection (seen in both Stuttgart and NRW).

9 hours ago, Taffyhereford said:

It's a shame because buying several bottles of juice means more to carry from the shop. And I think more expensive? 

It is however made from fruit, which squash absolutely isn't, and if you can kick the chemical habit before the baby, arrives, so much the better.

We buy juice and water it half and half for the kids, to ease the sugar content. 

I do not do the whole sugar is a  drug thing, we are mainly water drinkers here. Obviously cola is supposed to be an occasional treat.   Apple juice diluted with water just tastes so good.  Though grenadine, now and then, reminds me of skiing.

We dilute with fizzy water, to which we are all now addicted. You win some, you lose some.;)

I love grenadine. We only buy it on holiday because otherwise I would drink it absolutely all the time, but coke we use as loo cleaner, mostly to make a point about how it is not really suitable for consumption, and not so much because it's any good for cleaning loos, because truthfully, it's a bit crap.

10 hours ago, Taffyhereford said:

While we're on the subject of thing we miss from the UK. My pregnant wife is constantly on about how she is going to need more clothes post birth and there aren't cheap clothes like primark here? I think she's angling for expensive brands but if there are cheap stores I can keep my eye out for?  

Otherwise I suppose it'll be online

I'm in Filderstadt BTW.. 

There is a large Primark in Stuttgart and also a C&A. Both stores are in the city centre.

Primark

Königstrasse 27-27a

70173 Stuttgart

https://stores.primark.com/de_de/deutschland/stuttgart/konigstrasse-27-27a

C&A

https://www.bing.com/search?q=C%26A+stuttgart&form=ANSPH1&refig=7d57541fab1146fe8be563e0fefa9ae5&pc=U531&sp=-1&pq=c%26a+stuttgart&sc=5-13&qs=n&sk=&cvid=7d57541fab1146fe8be563e0fefa9ae5

The address is  Königstr 18  70173 Stuttgart but the entrance is on Eberhardstrasse.

There is also an English shop in Stuttgart. They sell food, whisky, flags, tea cups and things and English books but are not cheap.

Piccadilly English Shop

Schellingstraße 11

70174 Stuttgart

http://www.piccadilly-english-shop.de/