Shipping parcel from US

6 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I need to ship some cosmetics for personal use from the US to Germany. Its a small box, should weigh no more than 2-3kg. When checking DHL prices, it roughly costs between 150 USD to 200 USD to have it delivered to Germany. Its quite expensive, plus the shipping costs more than what the products are worth. 

Is there any way to have shipment done cheap? A shared shipment etc? 

Thank you!

1 minute ago, FlipFlop123 said:

Its quite expensive, plus the shipping costs more than what the products are worth. 

This is normally the case with small shipments. Sounds ridiculously expensive. Does that include customs, duty, VAT etc.? 

@lunaCH These prices came up as standard fees for shipment. I am not sure if VAT, customs etc is on top of this. A year or so ago, I ordered directly from a cosmetics company, and they just had a shipping price. The current vendor does not offer this service, so ill have it shipped to a friend in the US who will then send it to me. Only if I can find a cheaper option. 

I just did a quick check on USPS - it gave me an estimate far less than yours. $71.45. You might want to have a look there or check out other carriers. It still seems wildly overpriced - but I'm not familiar with your prices over there. This excludes any customs fees etc. though, as you will have to pay those this end to the Germans. 

Have you checked whether the products are available online on other sites, like on Amazon DE etc. ? - it's worth checking out all of their European sites as that way you avoid customs. I appreciate it's a long shot sometimes though as many US brands are simply not marketed outside of North America. One of the reasons some people take an empty suitcase to the USA - it's just easier and cheaper to bring a load of stuff back with you. :)

There is always a local alternative, and Germany has excellent cosmetic brands.

But, maybe OP has allergies and needs a specific brand.