Making Brexit switch (just arrived in Germany)

5 posts in this topic

Hello. I have just arrived in Germany and plan to stay here for the winter (whether that means up until 31.12 or beyond to March).

I am a UK passport holder and obviously crossed the border without getting any visa stamp as it is the transition period.

Because I hope to stay for longer than the remaining two months of the year, I went to the local Rathaus and registered. I bought travel-health insurance for the maximum amount of time into 2021.

I have two questions:

1. Ideally, I would like to use my Schengen time (90/180?) from 1 Jan 2021, but I am not sure how this is done. The only official information I have received from writing to organisations is advice to contact the local aliens authority (“Ausländerbehörde”). For where I am currently living, it would be Hannover, and I am just about to do that. Because from 1 Jan 2021, I will be here without any stamp in my passport, no proper residence visa, etc. Is anyone on these boards in a similar situation?

2. I would like to find a way to stay on Germany for longer, get some form of official status. But it seems to me I am stuck as I have no reasons in the eyes of the law. The only things going for me are I am 50 (Ruhestand-Visum?) and can support myself (I am self-employed as a writer and have around 300K of savings).

Any advice or sharing of experiences would be welcome. Kind thanks in advance.

You are from UK, therefore you do not need a visa or a stamp in your passport to stay after 31.12.2020. That also means you do not have to think about the schengen days. 
All you need is your anmeldung which you got when you registered your address, health insurance and when parliament decides what the new status will be called  and what form it will be you have until 30.6.2021 to apply for it. Therefore, you sit and enjoy the lockdown, and at some point you can apply for the whatever the new permit will be called.

As I mentioned before in my previous posts - and as Susie has mentioned above, - (all previous posts have all been deleted as the thread was then set wildly off course I'm afraid) - 

if you have already registered as a legal resident in Germany, you are 'home and dry' as it were. 

There is no requirement for visas, permits or stamps in passports and there is no plan for any of this during or after the transition period. 

You are able to remain beyond the transition period's end with out any problem as your rights were guaranteed under the Withdrawal Agreement which was obtained when the UK left the EU back in January. 

Germany will be issuing residence cards for British citizens who do secure legal residence by 31.12.20. You will have until 30.6.21 to apply for it - though the application is planned to be a simple process. 

The travel insurance you have is generally not considered valid here if you become a resident. You are required by law to take out health insurance for residents. You should not leave it too long after registering with your town hall, as otherwise this can lead to complications/restrictions.

Thank you both for the advice. My main concern was whether the Anmeldung was enough or if, as in some countries, you needed a separate "foreigners' registration" independent of your place of residence, at somewhere like the Ausländerbehörde.

12 minutes ago, Sumarokov-Elston said:

Thank you both for the advice. My main concern was whether the Anmeldung was enough or if, as in some countries, you needed a separate "foreigners' registration" independent of your place of residence, at somewhere like the Ausländerbehörde.

British citizens are still treated as EU for the Anmeldung process until 31.12.20, so you only deal with the town hall for now. They do the rest. 

Presumably soon there will be an official announcement as to what we have to do to get the residence card. Note: card not permit

The Ausländer office already have our data in that sense. And any Brits still arriving up until the end of the year will have their data sent on. 

Then the Ausländer office hopefully will contact all of us to say we need to apply for the card by 30.6.21.