Funeral - Require UK Marriage and Divorce Documents

22 posts in this topic

Sadly my mother died last week in Munich. She is a German national. I am in another continent and cannot travel. The situation is very sad. Luckily I have found a good funeral home and they are arranging the cremation and grave. However, they have just contacted me saying that they need my mothers marriage and divorce documents posted to them. She was married and divorced in the UK forty years ago. All I have are scans of old copies.

Are these documents necessary in order to complete proceedings? Is there a way around them? Might my mother's marriage and divorce be easily verified in Germany? Would anyone have experience of this?

Thank you for any kind help. I am very stressed about it all.

Sincerest condolences. The last thing you need right now is extra layers of bureaucracy.  

It may be that they require more documents for a cremation to go ahead than for a burial. I have heard about this in some cases. 

I haven't personally been in your precise situation. Your late mother's town hall though might be able to give you further information on this. 

http://www.muenchen.de/dienstleistungsfinder/muenchen/info/sterbefall/

Ask the funeral director if the scans are sufficient.

Sadly my wife passed away last Friday night. It was after a long battle with cancer so not a shock but rather a sudden end.

I have been asked for a copy of the marriage certificate and translated to German as it was in Chinese we had it translated to English and this was accepted by the immigration

office. Now we are being asked to have it translated to German is this correct? 

Also, we have been in Germany for 9 years 6 months does this alter anything as I read there is a ten-year rule?  

We had prepared a will before and expected to be dealing with the Notar but it seems the funeral home has to prepare some documents. 

I will of course have to obtain proper legal advice. 

Be worth noting if you're in the same situation to just call the police you would not believe the trouble getting a doctor to come out. After an hour I called the police only then a doctor come out. Even someone at the ambulance service complained we do not have a name on the letterbox like it was a major offence. The Police call centre was great and the people attending of course. 116117 and 112 I would avoid.       

Sorry GoBike, but I haven´t got a clue about the documents and stuff.

I just wanted to express my condolences and wish you strength in this difficult time.

17 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

Sorry GoBike, but I haven´t got a clue about the documents and stuff.

I just wanted to express my condolences and wish you strength in this difficult time.

Thank you  

Same as Rob says, GoBike. My sincerest condolences.👍👍

I hope someone will pop along with some proper advice.

21 hours ago, john g. said:

Same as Rob says, GoBike. My sincerest condolences.👍👍

I hope someone will pop along with some proper advice.

Thanks John

I should add TK have been wonderful during the last two years.

Just a follow up the translated document in English had been notarized and sealed by the German embassy in China and has been accepted. 

Also you may know, it is impossible to remove ashes from Germany. So the cremation will take place in Holland where the ashes can be returned to her home country.

Thanks for your support and wishes.    

I am sorry. Wishing you both strength and courage in the upcoming days and weeks.

So sorry to hear of the deaths of your precious ones, pappnase and GoBike.

As opti says, strength and courage for the days ahead. Difficult times.

58 minutes ago, pappnase said:

Thanks GoBike, my condolences on your loss, cancer sucks.

My wife passed yesterday and so I'm going to be doing this soon as well.

Bettina was German so her personal certificates are all fine, but our wedding cert is in English.

I have a translation of the certificate done by the German embassy when she applied for a new passport in her married name, so I think that will be enough, but I'll let you all know if not.

My condolences to you as well. They accepted the English translation in the end as it was certified by the German embassy.  She was able to write a will a few months before. That helps with family overseas and children from other marriages. I found the first days were the worst its getting better nothing you can do to change things and everyone is willing to help when needed. Just leave a pm.  

2 hours ago, pappnase said:

My wife passed yesterday ... Bettina...

Oh Adam, I am so, so sorry.

Big manly hugs from Weinheim.

You have both loved and may you continue to do so in your grief.

More manly hugs.❤️

On 16.2.2022, 18:29:03, pappnase said:

My wife passed yesterday and so I'm going to be doing this soon as well.

Bettina was German so her personal certificates are all fine, but our wedding cert is in English.

I have a translation of the certificate done by the German embassy when she applied for a new passport in her married name, so I think that will be enough, but I'll let you all know if not.

@pappnase: I'm sorry I missed this, life was a bit overwhelming here.
Please accept my condolences for the passing of your wife.

You always wrote affectionately about her and your family, how hard you worked on being there for her in the hospital and at home, and how you took care of your kids.
All the best to you and yours!