Zulassungsstelle duration in Berlin

29 posts in this topic

Long story short, I bought mine on the 26th of September, and hired a 3rd party company to do the registration for me via the dealer. The dealer, being the only one I have contact with, only tells me that the registration is "in the works" and that "in Berlin, it takes forever". They are not giving me a direct contact to this 3rd party company.

That being said, I have a few questions:

1) Does anyone know how much you need to wait nowadays to get a new car registered?

2) Since I financed the car, my instalments start on the 1st of November. Is there anything I can do to postpone paying them until I actually get the car?

3) Is there anything I can do about the Zulassungsstelle to help speed things up?

C

39 minutes ago, xcxvt said:

Long story short, I bought mine on the 26th of September, and hired a 3rd party company to do the registration for me via the dealer.

You paid for the service and after a month they still haven't managed to register?!?!?!?

If I were you, I'd try to find a way to cancel this 'service' and either do you it yourself or hire a reliable company to do it for you. It is actually possible to now to do this online under certain circumstances.

If you look at https://www.berlin.de/labo/mobilitaet/kfz-zulassung/ and try to make an appointment, it shows you pink days as being booked up and free days are supposed to be blue but none are blue for me so I assume the system is broken or they are all booked up until next year.  It does say you can do it online if you have the right documents so you can try to look into that.

These services would have gone one time and taken an hour or two to register all their cars but now with covid, they have to make appointments (when the website is working) and they may be barred from registering more than one car at a time, hence it's taking forever.

In your shoes, I'd talk to the dealer.  Tell them that unless they can give you a date, you want out of the deal.  Squeaky wheel gets the grease. 

24 minutes ago, engelchen said:

You paid for the service and after a month they still haven't managed to register?!?!?!?

correct

My concern right now is that if I do it myself, I'll get an appointment with the Zulassungsstelle in January or worse. At this stage, I don't know what's the lesser evil is, wait it out or try to cancel it and go it it myself.

LE: I remember reading a comment from a lady that bought a new car at the beginning of September, did everything by herself and got an appointment on the 30th of November.

Some dealers make appointments in blocks and then register cars for many different clients at once. If you find one who has capacity you'll know when your car can be registered. One month for a professional is ridiculous. 

15 minutes ago, LeonG said:

If you look at https://www.berlin.de/labo/mobilitaet/kfz-zulassung/ and try to make an appointment, it shows you pink days as being booked up and free days are supposed to be blue but none are blue for me so I assume the system is broken or they are all booked up until next year. 

That is actually normal in Berlin (and not just for the Zulassungsstelle) . If you spend some time refreshing the site every few minutes eventually spots will open up and you have to be quick in booking one before someone else snaps it up. I have two monitors at work and when I really need an appointment I do this with one screen and work with the other. 

I used the contact form and got an appointment for 8 days' time, so it is possible. That was for a used vehicle though. I know someone who went with an agent to have a new vehicle registered and it took a couple of weeks - the first appointment he could get himself was months away. Is this just because of Covid or is it always this bad?? Do people really have to wait months to use their new car??

my current one was done by the dealer and it took 2 weeks. Mind you, I bought it on Dec. 24th 2018 and got it in January 16th 2019. So it wasn't always that bad.

I don't understand what is so great about Berlin.

Everything takes ages, people are arrogant etc.

When I registered a car in Heidelberg some years ago, I just went to the local Bürgeramt. They had some blank license plates there and asked me whether I would take them . I took a pair of the ones they had and was out 15 minutes later.

I asked my colleagues how long it takes now and they said that you get an appointment within the next week.

My wife needed a new passport, she got an appointment at the local Amt, put her signiture somewhere, got fingerprinted . Took 15 minutes, 2 weeks later the passport was there and she picked it up.

I have the impression Berlin is mostly populated with masochists.

My life is too short for that kind of nonsense.

26 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

My life is too short for that kind of nonsense.

Most people would agree :) 

Still, it would be cool if you could stay on thread.

19 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

Everything takes ages, people are arrogant etc.

The biggest problem is the incompetent fools running the place. 

17 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

It has gotten progressively worse over the past 15 years. I can't speak for other people, but now that I have a permanent full-time job and an affordable apartment moving because of the bureaucracy doesn't make much sense.

1 minute ago, engelchen said:

The biggest problem is the incompetent fools running the place. 

And who voted for them again? Ah yes, berliners :)

please stay on topic ppl

Just now, xcxvt said:

And who voted for them again? Ah yes, berliners :)

I'm not allowed to vote so it is not my fault!

Just now, xcxvt said:

please stay on topic ppl

I already told you how I registered my car. Have you tried calling the dealer yet to get out of the contract?

I can't vote either.

That being said, no I have not spoken to them yet. I've been reading a bit about the registration process.

Seems you only upload your ID, need an eVB and the zulassungsbescheinigung teil 2 with security code (how do I get the security code on it?) and an IBAN. Seems simple enough.

If I do that online, do I still need an appointment anywhere? 

4 minutes ago, xcxvt said:

need an eVB

This you get from your insurance company. You just need the number, not any type of form.

4 minutes ago, xcxvt said:

and the zulassungsbescheinigung teil 2 with security code (how do I get the security code on it?)

There is a field on the new documents with a security code under silver stuff (what you also get on lottery tickets) that you have to rub off.

46 minutes ago, engelchen said:

This you get from your insurance company. You just need the number, not any type of form.

There is a field on the new documents with a security code under silver stuff (what you also get on lottery tickets) that you have to rub off.

I already have an eVB and scan of my passport (since germans refuse to accept EU member state national IDs).

So the document comes with the security code all by itself, I don't need to chase the dealership for it specifically. ok, got it.

so then do I need an appointment anywhere after I input all the fields online?

Just now, xcxvt said:

So the document comes with the security code all by itself, I don't need to chase the dealership for it specifically. ok, got it.

The NEW Zulassungsbescheinigungen have this security feature (mine doesn't) and you need Teil 2 to register the car. Therefore,  the 3rd party you indirectly hired probably has your Teil 2.

Just now, xcxvt said:

so then do I need an appointment anywhere after I input all the fields online?

Not if you can manage everything online. Does your car already have plates?

2 minutes ago, engelchen said:

The NEW Zulassungsbescheinigungen have this security feature (mine doesn't) and you need Teil 2 to register the car. Therefore,  the 3rd party you indirectly hired probably has your Teil 2.

Not if you can manage everything online. Does your car already have plates?

No, it doesn't. it's still sitting on the dealership premise. 

so, to sum everything up, I'd need to:

1. call off the registration service

2. get the teil2 (also teil1?) from them

3. fill in the online form (eVB, security code from the teil2, passport scan, meldebescheinigung, IBAN, etc)

4. wait a couple of days for it to be checked by a clerk

5. receive the stickers by mail

6. get plates (guess I need to take everything with me to one of these places that print them on the spot)

7. mount them on the car and drive it home (from Halle)

Just now, xcxvt said:

No, it doesn't. it's still sitting on the dealership premise. 

I'm not sure whether or not you can use the online registration. It is now possible to keep the plates from another state and use the online service, however, if it doesn't have any plates I'm not sure how you get the official Siegel on your plates.

3 minutes ago, engelchen said:

I'm not sure whether or not you can use the online registration. It is now possible to keep the plates from another state and use the online service, however, if it doesn't have any plates I'm not sure how you get the official Siegel on your plates.

Isn't that what you receive in the mail after you fill in all the things online?

see https://www.bmvi.de/SharedDocs/DE/Artikel/StV/Strassenverkehr/internetbasierte-fahrzeugzulassung.html "Und so funktioniert die Neuzulassung eines fabrikneuen Fahrzeugs im Internet"

Zulassungsbescheid inkl. Gebührenbescheid, Zulassungsbescheinigung Teil I & II, die Stempelplakettenträger sowie der Plakettenträger für die Hauptuntersuchung (HU) zum Aufkleben auf das Kennzeichen werden von der Zulassungsbehörde postalisch versendet.