Attempting to import my personal vehicle from the UK

3 posts in this topic

I moved to Germany in June from the UK and am now trying to register my motorcycle from the UK. The information online is good and I have all the required documents and the bike has passed a TUV test, I have the new numberplate etc. I also have the EC Certificate of Conformity for the vehicle translated into German.

However when I requested an appointment in Lichtenberg to register a used vehicle from an EU country I was told that, since the start of this year, they treat it as non-EU (Brexit), and therefore I need an extra document - a tax clearance certificate to show all import duties paid.

The European Commission website is quite clear on this, and insists that citizens should not be impacted during the Brexit withdrawal period and that tax and customs remain unchanged until the end of 2020. I wrote back with this information, including a link to the web page in German, but they won't budge.

I then wrote to Zoll (German customs) and received a prompt reply explaining that since during the Brexit withdrawal period the vehicle is treated as an EU import there is no provision for customs documents etc. It falls under the free movement of goods between EU states.

This is farcical at best (and breaking EU law at worst!!), and I'd like to know if anybody else has encountered this. I intend to go to my appointment next week anyway and argue the case (I know, good luck...) and failing that I will try an agency. But any advice would be appreciated.

Show them the Zoll response when you go there and state that they have no legal basis to request anything more than what is required under the old rules valid until 31.12.20. 

Any customs chaos may start from 1.1.21.

6 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

Show them the Zoll response when you go there and state that they have no legal basis to request anything more than what is required under the old rules valid until 31.12.20. 

Any customs chaos may start from 1.1.21.

Hi yes, that's my intention, it's the best next move I think. I will also take a printout of the European Commission page!