German citizenship from sofa status?

8 posts in this topic

Am I allowed to apply for German citizenship since I have been living in Germany for 3 years under the SOFA agreement?

Someone smarter than I am on immigration will likely give you a better answer, but I don't think your time in Germany as a civilian component of the U.S. Forces counts towards the residency requirements for German citizenship.  The BAMF and Finanzamt do not know you exist because of the SOFA, and it isn't until you actually lose your protection of the SOFA and register at the Rathaus as a new resident that the German government recognizes you and the clock starts.

6 hours ago, nickstraub said:

Am I allowed to apply for German citizenship since I have been living in Germany for 3 years under the SOFA agreement?

IIRC you have to live in Germany a lot longer to apply for citizenship even if time under an ARMCHAIR agreement would count. (7 -8 years).

The rules have changed in the light of Brexit, and years served under SOFA can be used for residency purposes by Brits, but that's also an EU thing. I have looked for the altered rule, but can't find it, sorry.

Seems unlikely that this will extend to non-EU members of NATO and also 3 years is for people married to Germans, for those who are not, as I remember it, 6 is the shortest length of time you need to have been here.

42 minutes ago, kiplette said:

3 years is for people married to Germans,

Isn´t 3 years the minimum required for permanent residence - not citizenship? Even for those married to a German?

A spouse of a German citizen can apply for citizenship after living in Germany for 3 years, having been married for at least 2.

Permanent residency is also after 3 years for a person who is married to a German but I don't see anything about length of marriage there.

It would be a special case but theoretically, if you worked for a German company while under SOFA and paid into the German social security system, the three years may be counted towards the requirements for a Niederlassungserlaubnis (permanent residency permit), which you would generally need prior to getting citizenship. And I guess theoretically if you would qualify for German citizenship for other reasons (through parents for example) then it wouldn't really matter if you were under the SOFA or not.

But for all practical purposes, no, for the vast majority of cases, time spent under SOFA does not count.