Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Mutterschutz/Elternzeit/Elterngeld

2 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have read a lot of topic on this matter, but I am still confused, so I want to give it a try for some short answers.

I only today understood that Mutterschutz period is subtracted from Elterngeld. My initial thoughts was 2 months Mutterschutz + 7 months parent 1 + 7 month parent 2, it was possible to cover 16 months. But now I understand that is not the case. To make a clear example:

Born 01.03: March, April, Mutterschutz; May to September mother in Elterngeld; as of September 7 months of Elterngeld already used, since also March and April were Elterngeld altough not paid out due to Mutterschutz; October to April: Father in Elternzeit for 7 months; tot covered 14 months. Is my understanding correct? I think so, this is also if I understand correct in this Bundesministerium book that we received.

Now, the point that I did not read anywhere: the trick above is that the mother is receiving Mutterschutz, so she is not receiving Elterngeld altough the time is calculated. What if now:

Born 01.03: March, April, Mutterschutz and father Elterngeld: is this possible? I think so because is possible to do Elternzeit togheter and if the father is not working than he will receive the Elterngeld. Then May-November: 7 months mother ElternGeld; December - April 5 months Fatehr Elterngeld. Months covered at the end are still 14 but economically is more convenient, since 2 months more of Eltrngeld were obteined (the first 2 months of the father). Is this correct or am I mistaking something?

If you know German it is explained here: https://familienportal.de/familienportal/familienleistungen/elterngeld/faq/wie-lange-kann-ich-elterngeld-bekommen-/124728

You are mistaken, the two of you can get at most 14 month of Basiselterngeld. Mutterschutz counts as Basiselterngeld month. So if you take Elterngeld during the Mutterschutz each of you uses 2 month of Basiselterngeldzeit. So there are 10 month left that you can split however you like.