24 day absent rule for schools?

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

My son´s school told us that a student that has more than 24 absences per year, including sickness, is not allowed to move on to the next year. They claim it is a state rule and that sick days also count.

Is this even remotely true?? Does it make any sense with the current corona situation? i can´t believe it to be true, as for example a 2x 14 day quarantine would flunk a student!

I haven't heard it before. I can see some sense behind it normally as kids who have missed a lot of school may have fallen behind but I'd also expect the teacher to have a say.

Some kids miss a lot of school but still keep up with the rest of the class etc.

What level of school are we talking about (Grundschule, Gymsasium etc)?

Grundschule. The point is that we need to take 2 days off for personal reasons (definitely not leisure) and the principal said she would authorize, but that we should be careful not to go above 24 days, which might happen with Corona...

Unless this is an extra strict Bavarian rule, quarantine doesn't count as sickness days. Here in Baden-Württemberg the quarantined students have to log in each morning and do their homework and participate. During the lockdown in spring even the first-graders got their work sent by email.

Why don't you ask the school about their quarantine rules?

Her point was that quarantine or sick days was the same for the 24 day rule... over 24 absences of ANY type meant repeating the year...

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

Her point was that quarantine or sick days was the same for the 24 day rule... over 24 absences of ANY type meant repeating the year...

I´d just call the Schulamt and ask them.