Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Making a mistake while learning, what did you do?

4 posts in this topic

Way back when, or now  I guess, when you were doing homework or class work, and you made a mistake, what did you and/or the teacher do? And where are you from?

I have discussions with my very German students because they really want to erase the mistake and write in the correct answer. I do not allow this as I believe you have to know you made a mistake and then learn from it. This aggravates them because 'then someone can see I do a mitsake in in my book'

So in any subject, when you made a mistake, did you:

Erase the answer and write in the correct one

strike through and write it above

teacher marked it with red pencil/pen

other tactics

In America (midwest and west coast) I had to cross out and rewrite the sentence, equation, formula, what have you. Or, the teacher marked the mistake in red and I corrected it.

What about ya'll?  

My earliest memory, Tor, was  when I was about 11 and my  asking a boy next to me an exam question  ( he  was 3 years or so older than me and  it was all deliberately arranged so we would have different exam papers!). I asked him what the capital of France was and got caught by the invigilator! And lost a couple of marks!😂

Another memory- this time at MA level. My tutor at the Uni in London returned my essay without a comment on it. I asked him why!

He said: „ Gunn, at this level, if I have to make comments, you are on the wrong course.“

Ouch! He was „ old school „!!

My small boat driving experience (age 19) : 

I'm with a team, in charge of the boat and the outboard motor stopped.

I told them to paddle to nearest shore while I stripped engine and

tried to clean the spark plugs.

Ashore (still no running motor), the instructor turns up and 

replaces the plugs with new ones from the spares box.

He told someone in my team to drive the boat back to base.

I had to walk along the shore

:o

That was North Scotland in the 1980's

In the recent years when Kiddo was at school, teachers never looked at homework.  In tests, mistakes were generally underlined in red by the teacher so that kids can correct on a separate ‘Korrektur’ page.

Your question did bring back a memory for me....when I was learning to be a scuba divemaster, I had to supervise student dives alone.  Never had a problem, even night dives.  One day, lovely coral dive site, lots of other divers around. Down we went. A couple in my group were very nervous so it took a while.  My compass suddenly stopped working and with poor visibility, no corals in sight.  No problem, I followed another diver that I could just about make out.  Still no coral!  After faffing for a while with nothing to see, I gave up and we all surfaced safely only to find we were very far away from the dive boat.  No harm done thankfully and I just bluffed a bit so that the students didn't realise something had been amiss. Got back to my strict and very stern teacher and quietly confessed my mistake.  He just smiled which was unusual for him...’don’t worry, you followed the ghost diver...he died there many years ago and the same thing has happened to many.  It’s normal’. Oh, well THAT didn’t make me feel any better!