What to do with angry neighbour's package?

71 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, jeba said:

From personal experience I can tell you that in the latter case that´s not true. The Bundesopiumstelle sends them as regular parcels.

Madness - and all to save money. Presumably they can be held responsible if something goes awry ?! :ph34r: 

As you said, irresponsible. 

7 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

So do I. The system is loopy.

Presumably in such cases (sensitive / dangerous goods etc.) the sender uses a method that actually does require a signature. Hopefully !! :ph34r: 

isnt it you that says contactless is safer...   but now you want to sign for it on a corona collection device?

2 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

isnt it you that says contactless is safer...   but now you want to sign for it on a corona collection device?

Irrelevant. I don't generally have dangerous goods delivered and I never said that I personally wanted to sign for any. :rolleyes: 

We don't sign for parcels as we have DHL accounts. ;) 

Of course contactless is safer. I said that regarding contactless payments in shops. I'm not saying that contactless is not safer. :rolleyes: 

1 minute ago, SpiderPig said:

You have more "twist" in your stories  than Chubby chequer ever had in his life!

But only in your opinion, it seems. ;)

On 1.11.2020, 09:59:40, lunaCH said:

Presumably in such cases (sensitive / dangerous goods etc.) the sender uses a method that actually does require a signature.

For those who are interested: DHL will transport guns within Germany. Not ammunition though. The gun case inside the package needs to be locked and you can only send it to an authorized recipent (i.e. one who holds a license). I think Hermes also ships them, but only for Frankonia, one of the largest gun and hunting shops. 

The thing is: The package is usually neutral so the delivery person has no way of knowing what is in there. It should only be handed to the recipient, but I have no idea if that is actually done irl.  

38 minutes ago, maxie said:

For those who are interested: DHL will transport guns within Germany. Not ammunition though. The gun case inside the package needs to be locked and you can only send it to an authorized recipent (i.e. one who holds a license). I think Hermes also ships them, but only for Frankonia, one of the largest gun and hunting shops. 

The thing is: The package is usually neutral so the delivery person has no way of knowing what is in there. It should only be handed to the recipient, but I have no idea if that is actually done irl.  

Though of course domestic packages do not require you to reveal the contents to anyone, so I guess the sender chooses whichever service is more convenient and economical. 

Any sensible person who is sending sensitive/dangerous goods will choose an appropriate service which puts safety first and requires a signature, from the addressee only. 

Any carrier doing their job properly will abide by the rules and get that signature and not just dump packages on neighbours from adjacent buildings who then leave the parcel in front of the wrong door for children to get their mitts on. :) 

In any case the current loopy system of handing parcels to other people or leaving them elsewhere with no notification is an open invitation to fraud and accidents waiting to happen. The carriers cover themselves to some extent with their terms and conditions. But the situation is still highly problematic.

I am a former Police Detective in USA married to a German woman. These posts seem to be centered around packages delivered to an address where the recipient doesn't live. This should sound a warning that the recipient may be involved in a "scam" of some sort. I would advise you to not accept any parcel that isn't addressed to you. If the delivery person complains then call his carrier, and report his actions. The package should be returned marked "Recipient Does Not Live" at this address.

2 hours ago, Tom&Angel said:

I am a former Police Detective in USA married to a German woman. These posts seem to be centered around packages delivered to an address where the recipient doesn't live. This should sound a warning that the recipient may be involved in a "scam" of some sort. I would advise you to not accept any parcel that isn't addressed to you. If the delivery person complains then call his carrier, and report his actions. The package should be returned marked "Recipient Does Not Live" at this address.

The name of the recipient must be on a doorbell/letterbox at least in the adjacent building though - otherwise there wouldn't really be a delivery attempt. 

Of course it doesn't mean to say that the addressee is legally resident at the address. 

13 hours ago, Tom&Angel said:

These posts seem to be centered around packages delivered to an address where the recipient doesn't live

What makes you think like that? At I wasn´t talking about that scenario.