What to do with angry neighbour's package?

71 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, LeonG said:

I agree.  I would much prefer that than having to worry about not being home and having to chase it down at some neighbours I'll have to look for and may not be home.  Although at least some of the couriers send you an email giving you a delivery window and letting you re-schedule or pick a pack station.

And this should be taken advantage of. With some you can set up an account and exclude the possibility of parcels being left with neighbours.

I have the opposite problem I don't want the neighbours taking my packages so if I'm out I simply hang a note on the door and ask them to leave it in front of my door. This way they also run it up the stairs as well. So next time tell the delivery guy to leave it in front of the door. It's all contacless now anyways

4 minutes ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

It's all contacless now anyways

That didn't seem to last very long around here, perhaps because we're in an area with so few cases compared to elsewhere. After a couple of months way back in spring/summer it was back to normal and the parcels are handed over when we open the door. No signature required, but because of the DHL account settings, nothing to do with corona.

6 minutes ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

I have the opposite problem I don't want the neighbours taking my packages so if I'm out I simply hang a note on the door and ask them to leave it in front of my door.

Why not set this up in an account with the courier in question. That way you don't have to advertise to others that you're out. ;)

4 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

That didn't seem to last very long around here, perhaps because we're in an area with so few cases compared to elsewhere. After a couple of months way back in spring/summer it was back to normal and the parcels are handed over when we open the door. No signature required, but because of the DHL account settings, nothing to do with corona.

Why not set this up in an account with the courier in question. That way you don't have to advertise to others that you're out. ;)

Wow that I'm surprised at, still contatless here. You can also leave the package in front of the door yourself, assuming you don't mind running up the stairs

In a perfect world, the OP delivers the neighbour's second package which contains an anger management book. 

I am simply dying to know what was inside the package.

A few years back there was an exposé by one of the larger newspapers, if memory serves, about the superhuman load being placed on these delivery ... men (almost always male).  Physically impossible numbers of stairs to be done, inhuman working hours, horrendous loads every day.  It doesn't excuse the appalling service, but it offers a different way to view those guys, as other than just lazy.  The fault lies with companies, was the conclusion.  I will personally vote with years of experience for DHL as the absolute worst.

I saw a news program about it. They were supposed to start early and load their trucks off the clock and they were under pressure to complete their deliveries in 10 hrs or less so no wonder they sometimes pretend you aren't home when you are or try to stick one neighbor with all the packages.

I knew a guy who used to work for Hermes and he had a village route that was nice. He knew all the ppl who order, who is home, where the safe drops are etc. He had tried a city route and said it was awful. He was carrying large bags of dog food up loads of stairs, half the ppl weren't home etc.

3 hours ago, Katchyta said:

I am simply dying to know what was inside the package.

Wasn't that the ending of Seven? Or Pulp Fiction? 

but it offers a different way to view those guys, as other than just lazy.

Anyone who thinks they're lazy must be kinda dumb. Dispirited, demoralized or overloaded might be a better description.  

The fault lies with companies, was the conclusion.  I will personally vote with years of experience for DHL as the absolute worst.

Well yea, profit margins are everything. And if you think DHL is the worst, you haven't really lived! Overall, I'd say DHL is okay. DPD has almost always been bad IME, and I am none too impressed with GLS. Seeing something is going to arrive with either of those gives me an uh-oh feeling. Hermes ho-hum. No experience with FedEx, but UPS has always been awesome for me.

might depend on the area.  Around here DHL is far and away the worst, shockingly bad.  Not just the delivery people--that's a hit and miss--but also their customer service center.  Appalling. 

DPD is the pits for us here. If you miss a parcel the first time around, you are stuffed.

No service is perfect. Luckily, nearly all of our stuff comes together with the one DHL driver, post and parcels - so easier to co-ordinate. Yes, there've been mistakes - we've complained and it eventually got sorted. 

DPD on the other hand are completely useless and never ring, they just dump the stuff outside for anyone to help themselves - so we don't even know it's there or if stolen, had been there (!!) - fortunately not many senders/sellers use DPD for all of the stuff we have delivered and we actively try to avoid them. 

UPS come even more rarely. But more professional I guess as they are more expensive. The one time they did call, it was for the business address next door which was closed for summer holidays for three weeks - so I took the parcel in.

I never take parcels here, even when my language skills were at German A1 level. One time the DHL guy even tried to shove a parcel into my arms as I was walking into the buildling to take for a Nachbarn (I was still new here). At that time I didn't understand what he was saying and said nein and walked away. I live in a large building and am too scared of something going wrong and being responsible for it. Like what if the contents are damaged and I'm blamed for it? This would probably be different if I had a close relationship to a neighbour. But so long they are strangers I will continue not to accept packages, unless a neighbour specifically requests I do it for them.  All my things so far go through a pack station. 

If the contents are damaged, this can only be discovered (normally) after opening and as such the recipient has to take it up with the sender who would in turn take it up with the carrier. You wouldn't be involved in that even if you took in a parcel and/or signed.

There is a difference between visible damage to a parcel - crushed/ripped open etc. and non-visible damage - internal content only.

But I fully understand your stance, @Narjiz, on not taking in parcels. In a large building, where I knew no one, I would not do it either. :)

3 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

More rubbish

Wrong !!

I was referring to our deliveries - both as a business and private household! :rolleyes: 

6 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

But you only edited to add that info after I pointed out you were incorrect with your original statement!

The statement was not and is not incorrect. I added information, as it seems there was someone who didn't read properly or didn't understand. I wonder who ?! :rolleyes: 

For me it was already clear as I had mentioned in the same sentence that they dump the parcels and we don't know they're there, so I think it is pretty obvious I am referring to our situation - from the 'we don't know' part. :rolleyes: 

But hey, keep digging! :wacko: 

I deem leaving parcels without signature of the recipient irresponsible. What if the contents must not fall into unauthorised hands? Think e. g. a gun or prescription forms for opioids?

5 minutes ago, jeba said:

I deem leaving parcels without signature of the recipient irresponsible. What if the contents must not fall into unauthorised hands? Think e. g. a gun or prescription forms for opioids?

So do I. The system is loopy.

Presumably in such cases (sensitive / dangerous goods etc.) the sender uses a method that actually does require a signature. Hopefully !! :ph34r: 

Just now, lunaCH said:

Presumably in such cases the sender uses a method that actually does require a signature. Hopefully !! :ph34r:

From personal experience I can tell you that in the latter case that´s not true. The Bundesopiumstelle sends them as regular parcels.