What to do with angry neighbour's package?

45 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, nomadnihilist said:

They told me I can either use it myself or just dispose of it... Strange

I don't think this is strange. It's probably normal procedure. Amazon sometimes don't want mis-delivered or damaged stuff going back - it's more hassle, as well as a waste of money, energy and resources for it to go back than just to let you keep it or for you to dispose of it. ;)

2 hours ago, nomadnihilist said:

You're right! From this point on, I won't take packages no matter what. I initially couldn't say no because it was a strange request to take neighbour's packages... Delivery service in Germany is weird.

Well if the neighbours aren't home you would be doing them a favour in taking their package. But the courier should verify they are not home, not just use you as a parcel depot.

You can always say "no" the next time a courier asks you to pick up your neighbor's package. It may be rude, but at least you won't have any more 'adventures'. I don't know where you live, but in my building, when someone picks up neighbor's package, we leave it on the stairs to the first floor.

8 hours ago, Roberrt said:

You can always say "no" the next time a courier asks you to pick up your neighbor's package. It may be rude, but at least you won't have any more 'adventures'. I don't know where you live, but in my building, when someone picks up neighbor's package, we leave it on the stairs to the first floor.

You should only do this though if you didn't have to sign for it. ;)

11 hours ago, lunaCH said:

Did you sign for it?

Since Corona the policy of delvery services is no signing to avoid contact.

Example DHL: https://www.dhl.de/de/privatkunden/kampagnenseiten/coronavirus.html

For items requiring a signature, such as registered mail or parcels, we generally do not require the customer's signature. Instead, our deliverers document the delivery of the shipment with their signature.
The delivery person will continue to ring the bell and only then confirm the delivery of the item.
This minimises personal contact as well as the customer's contact with hand scanner & pen.

Translation Deepl.com

I'm fully aware of this but as a DHL customer with an account I rarely ever sign for parcels anyway.

This situation here with the OP is different. 

I assume the corona measure is only valid if the person (addressee) is actually in and to avoid contact doesn't come to sign for it but just speaks from a distance.

I'm not sure what happens when they are not in and it's left with a neighbour. It depends on the delivery service and if the customer has set up specific authorizations. DHL is just one of a dozen or so delivery services so YMMV. ;) 

And I'm sure there are people who have taken advantage of this situation and ordered stuff only to later claim they never received it.

9 hours ago, fraufruit said:

A simple "no, I won't be home this evening" will suffice.

Too much smalltalk for my German ears. "No" is clear enough.:lol:

1 hour ago, lunaCH said:

I assume

1 hour ago, lunaCH said:

I'm not sure

Too much speculation in your posts, I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, lunaCH said:

And I'm sure there are people who have taken advantage of this situation and ordered stuff only to later claim they never received it.

How can you be sure? Another assumption. 

4 minutes ago, bramble said:

Another assumption. 

If we don't look up the exact policy or make enquiries, here on the forum we're all speculating.

You're also assuming the DHL policy also applies to parcels that are being delivered when the addressee is absent as well as other carriers.

I doubt high value items can just be dumped on unwilling neighbours who don't even have to sign. 

The OP also said Amazon was the carrier in this case, not DHL ;)

1 minute ago, lunaCH said:

You're also assuming the DHL policy also applies to parcels that are being delivered when the addressee is absent as well as other carriers. The OP said Amazon was the carrier in this case. ;)

I didn't assume anything. I simply stated there is a no signing policy and quoted DHL as an example. 

5 minutes ago, bramble said:

I simply stated there is a no signing policy

DHL may have had and may still have a no signing policy in place due to corona. We don't know if this also applies to deliveries to neighbours when the addressee isn't present at all.

With DHL and possibly with other carriers it will depend on if you have set up an account. 

We don't know the policy of other carriers either unless you look them all up. 

None of this is relevant to the OP as they confirmed Amazon was the carrier and there was no signature. We don't know whether this was because of corona or whether this is standard policy in any case. ;)

3 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

None of this is relevant to the OP as they confirmed Amazon was the carrier

Did he? I order a lot from Amazon and have never received a parcel from one of their carriers. But never mind, you can have the last word. I can't be bothered. 

2 minutes ago, bramble said:

Did he?

This is what I have understood from their posts. ;)

2 minutes ago, bramble said:

I order a lot from Amazon and have never received a parcel from one of their carriers.

Neither have we. My understanding is that they only serve certain areas.

95% of our stuff comes via DeutschePost or DHL, depending on size. 

3 hours ago, bramble said:

Since Corona the policy of delvery services is no signing to avoid contact.

haha, I had one guy that stopped a few steps short of my landing (I'm the door on the right), confirmed my identity, then literally threw my package diagonally across the hall, and said, in English, "catch!"

I didn't mind, the package was light and he was kind of funny.  Haven't signed for a package in months.  He was the only one that actually tossed it from a distance but the rest of them have truly just shoved the package at me and literally run back down the stairs without a further word or even confirming I'm the recipient.  That job would make me nervous at present too; you have no idea what microbes lie behind each door.

3 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

haha, I had one guy that stopped a few steps short of my landing (I'm the door on the right), confirmed my identity, then literally threw my package diagonally across the hall, and said, in English, "catch!"

I didn't mind, the package was light and he was kind of funny.  Haven't signed for a package in months.  He was the only one that actually tossed it from a distance but the rest of them have truly just shoved the package at me and literally run back down the stairs without a further word or even confirming I'm the recipient.  That job would make me nervous at present too; you have no idea what microbes lie behind each door.

Yes, exactly. Since the pandemic began, the DHL guy gets as far up the stairs as he needs to place the package on the landing and shove it across the floor to me, then leaves. No matter whom it's for which by and large is not us. Only one of delivery services asks for a signature and though I can't remember which, it's definitely not DHL.

23 hours ago, McDee said:

A sweeping statement and wrong.

Yes, it's wrong. Sorry, what I really meant was delivery service in Germany sucks!

On 17/10/2020, 14:35:32, fraufruit said:

Just say no to the courier when the person doesn't live in your building. Tell him why. Since you are on the ground floor, it would inconvenience him to leave your packages elsewhere - especially if he wants to drop off an upstairs neighbor's package.

Go ahead and deliver this one. It won't kill you and it's the right thing to do.

Get your doorbell fixed.

If someone punched you in the face, I bet you would check if he'd bruised his fist... Just joking. I don't have such high moral standards, to be honest. If someone treats me well, I treat them well. Otherwise, I reciprocate accordingly.

22 hours ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

Well if the neighbours aren't home you would be doing them a favour in taking their package. But the courier should verify they are not home, not just use you as a parcel depot.

I think ideally, the courier should always call or at least make sure the recipient is really not at home. If so, they should then leaving the parcel at a nearby collection point (shop or post office). This way, everyone is better off. Living on the ground floor means my doorbell was ringing all day even when I didn't have packages coming for myself. The couriers were always asking me to take packages... It's not just a one-time neighbourly favour we're talking about, but rather a constant chore. I was actually a bit glad that my doorbell was broken, that's why I procrastinated for a while before calling the hausverwaltung.

1 hour ago, nomadnihilist said:

I think ideally, the courier should always call or at least make sure the recipient is really not at home. If so, they should then leaving the parcel at a nearby collection point (shop or post office).

I agree.  I would much prefer that than having to worry about not being home and having to chase it down at some neighbours I'll have to look for and may not be home.  Although at least some of the couriers send you an email giving you a delivery window and letting you re-schedule or pick a pack station.