What to do with angry neighbour's package?

45 posts in this topic

I live on the ground floor, so whenever I receive a package, the courier always asks me to take packages for neighbours (sometimes it's because the neighbours are not at home, sometimes the courier just doesn't want to climb stairs...) I usually took the packages as I am mostly at home during the pandemic (also because I think if I upset the couriers, then they won't delivery my packages anymore and just leave them at a pickup station instead. Is this true?).

But a few months ago, my doorbell broke. At first, I didn't think too much of it and continued to take packages whenever the courier asked. Most neighbours are very grateful of this; one guy even tried to tip me. But one Saturday afternoon, after returning from an outing, I found a note on the building door that asked me to ring their doorbell when I came home since I had their package. I was a bit annoyed but considering my doorbell was broken, I delivered the package to this neighbour as requested.

A few days later, the same neighbour shows up at my door to retrieve his package. This time he was very angry, saying that it caused him great inconvenience last time since my doorbell was broken and he couldn't get into the building (I wasn't home anyway) and demanded that I don't take his package in the future. I said okay. He was rude but what he said also made sense as I didn't think about how my broken doorbell could affect neighbours retrieving their packages. 

A few days later, I was receiving a package for myself (I always put my phone number on the address so the courier can reach my door), as usual the courier asks me to take a package for my neighbours. This time, I said no because the doorbell was broken. But the courier insisted that the package was meant for someone within my building so that he could just knock on my door. Lacking further excuse, I took the package.

By pure poetic justice, the courier lied to me and it was that angry neighbour's package, who lived in another building. It has been weeks now and he still hasn't picked up his package. What should I do with it? I don't want to be the sucker who delivers packages for this rude dude. But I also don't want to get into legal trouble by throwing away the package. It's an Amazon package, so no return address is visible. Now it's just taking up space in my hallway...

Any ideas for what to do with this package? Also, how to say no to persistent (and possibly lazy) couriers? Thanks!

First, I´d fix my doorbell. Then I´d call DHL (or which ever delivery service we´re talking about) and ask them to pick it up as it was delvered to the wrong adress. Failing that I´d call Amazon and ask them to arrange for it to be picked up.

Just say no to the courier when the person doesn't live in your building. Tell him why. Since you are on the ground floor, it would inconvenience him to leave your packages elsewhere - especially if he wants to drop off an upstairs neighbor's package.

Go ahead and deliver this one. It won't kill you and it's the right thing to do.

Get your doorbell fixed.

27 minutes ago, nomadnihilist said:

Any ideas for what to do with this package?

Did you sign for it? 

27 minutes ago, nomadnihilist said:

how to say no to persistent (and possibly lazy) couriers?

'Nein.' It ends there. ;)

From my experience with couriers, I think it's possible that your neighbour never got a note about his package being delivered to you.  He may even have claimed it with amazon that it wasn't delivered and they may start looking into it and trace it to you.  Personally I'd never keep a package for weeks.  I would deliver it.  Yell at the rude neighbour at the same time why he hasn't picked up his package from you in weeks and how he should opt to get them delivered to a pack station if he isn't going to be home.

Next time when the courier tries to get you to take a package, tell them no.  If you feel you need an excuse you can either say you work evenings and wont be home when the neighbours are or if it's only the particular neighbour, you can say he's asked you not to take his packages and to take them to a pack station.

You also should not be enabling lazy couriers who don't bother to check if somebody is home, but just delivers all packages to 1 convenient address for them.

The sender paid to have it delivered door to door, not door to you, and have the receiver track you down. As you said, the courier probably doesn't even bother leaving "delivered to" slips.

37 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

You also should not be enabling lazy couriers who don't bother to check if somebody is home, but just delivers all packages to 1 convenient address for them.

The sender paid to have it delivered door to door, not door to you, and have the receiver track you down. As you said, the courier probably doesn't even bother leaving "delivered to" slips.

Exactly. Depending on the company, normally they'd have an option on their scanner to mark it as 'delivered to neighbour'. Though if they are not leaving a slip then the recipient won't know immediately unless they receive an email, failing this, they may only find out by looking up the tracking number, if they even have it !! :)

4 hours ago, Acton said:

How can you 'take packages' when your door bell doesn't work? Do these people hammer on your door? I wouldn't accept things in this way.

The courier said it was intended for someone living in my building.

5 hours ago, jeba said:

First, I´d fix my doorbell. Then I´d call DHL (or which ever delivery service we´re talking about) and ask them to pick it up as it was delvered to the wrong adress. Failing that I´d call Amazon and ask them to arrange for it to be picked up.

I find your suggestion to be the most viable. I will contact Amazon and tell them it was delivered to the wrong address as it was.

Just now, nomadnihilist said:

I find your suggestion to be the most viable. I will contact Amazon and tell them it was delivered to the wrong address as it was.

Does the person live in the same building? Sounds to me as if it was the right address but the wrong person.

3 hours ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

You're right! From this point on, I won't take packages no matter what. I initially couldn't say no because it was a strange request to take neighbour's packages... Delivery service in Germany is weird.

1 minute ago, lunaCH said:

Does the person live in the same building? Sounds to me as if it was the right address but the wrong person.

No, he lives in another building, but the courier told me it was for someone living inside my building. That why I took it.

No, he lives in another building, but the courier told me it was for someone living inside my building. That why I took it.

Did you sign for it?

1 minute ago, lunaCH said:

Did you sign for it?

No, I didn't physically sign for it. The courier didn't bother to ask me to, maybe because of the pandemic.

No, I didn't physically sign for it. The courier didn't bother to ask me to, maybe because of the pandemic.

Look up the tracking number online to see the status.

2 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

Look up the tracking number online to see the status.

I tried. It's an Amazon Prime package. There's only one number on it and it doesn't work for any of the delivery service tracking page. I think this number is only Amazon only and not the delivery service's tracking number. No idea which service it was.

2 minutes ago, nomadnihilist said:

I tried. It's an Amazon Prime package. There's only one number on it and it doesn't work for any of the delivery service tracking page. I think this number is only Amazon only and not the delivery service's tracking number. No idea which service it was.

Hundreds if not thousands of parcels are lost daily. I doubt anyone is looking for this one. You could always open it to check what is inside. Maybe there is a return label. 

The contents can't be of high value as it would have been sent by a service which had to be signed for, not just dumped on someone else.

27 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

Hundreds if not thousands of parcels are lost daily. I doubt anyone is looking for this one. You could always open it to check what is inside. Maybe there is a return label. 

The contents can't be of high value as it would have been sent by a service which had to be signed for, not just dumped on someone else.

I just contacted Amazon and asked them to arrange a courier to come and pick it up. They told me I can either use it myself or just dispose of it... Strange... I'm saving the chat history with the customer support as legal back up. And then I'll wait for another few weeks to see if he shows up (my doorbell will be fixed next Tuesday. Been getting in touch with hausverwaltung for weeks now and they finally made an appointment for me). Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

58 minutes ago, nomadnihilist said:

Delivery service in Germany is weird.

A sweeping statement and wrong.