My neighbor is trying to get me evicted

57 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, virginiavedder said:

Agreed but we are not "making noise", we're literally just walking normally inside our house. We know how it sounds because there's kids upstairs from us and there is no way it can be that disrupting and if it is, she should move to a place with no upstairs neighbors or better noise insulation. People who are *that* sensitive to noise do not belong in an apartment building.

Glad the hear it. I was more reacting to the people saying you should play music at loud volume to "teach her" or get her back for complaining.

I guess Petro6golf was the biggest offender.

11 hours ago, virginiavedder said:

It's funny that there's an actual sign in the building's inner garden that says that it is forbidden for children to play in there lol

IMHO (but I'm not 100% sure) that's not legal.

What I *am* sure about is the the old signs "stay off the grass" (Rasen betreten verboten) definitely are illegal these days.

I dunno, is it illegal if it's written in your rental agreement?  For example, a lot of stuff is disallowed by our lease.  Leaving stuff out in the hallway, making undue noise between 1 and 3pm (not a law in the state of Berlin but a clause in our rental contract), dirtying the outside of the buildings and yes, using the courtyards for recreation.  They are all ignored and disobeyed on a regular basis.  In the last few years families have taken over the courtyards although there is a herkin' big park across the street and they are also loud as fuck, they leave their kids' toys and crap everywhere, finally the final straw was when they trailer-park style left a half-inflated kiddie pool to fester and rot with filthy water (bugs, leaves and dirt) as an added decoration along with the torn-up yard and oodles of random kid crap laying around.  The thing is that we employ a literal team of gardeners to care for the courtyards and as silly as it might sound, the garden is for looking at and not for playing in; whatever one's opinion on that subject (I admit I also found it a bit silly when I first moved in), it is indeed written in the contract that it is for show only.  "Final straw" means that apparently a group of disgruntled tenants complained and then there was a big meeting in one Hof with kid-havers in a semi-circle on one side and Ordnung-lovers on the other, with building management in the middle and explaining what was what to everybody.  They couched it all in a general call for a return to order (put yer bikes where they belong, the-flea-market-outside-your-apartment-door-iz-firehazard etc) but it was really about the manicured lawns now looking like a trailer park yard.  Big drama.

As for "walking normally inside the apartment" one (me) might posit that walking as you do outdoors is not necessarily appropriate for walking indoors, especially when you have downstairs neighbors.  The neighbors above me are a family of stompers and besides being admittedly quite sensitive to noise as well as a light sleeper, the manner in which they "walk normally" gives me panic and anxiety because it is an aggressive, frantic stomping that is so loud I cannot hear my own thoughts and literally wakes me up 9 mornings out of 10.  I get it that they're "walking normally," but with a little consideration they could improve (or rather, stop infringing upon) my quality of life, with a small amount of effort not to clomp around as if the living room were a football field.

/senf

The OP speaks of an inner garden. Could it be that it was set out in the deeds of the building that this area is specifically a quiet area and there is another outer/rear garden/area where children are allowed to play?

2 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

As for "walking normally inside the apartment" one (me) might posit that walking as you do outdoors is not necessarily appropriate for walking indoors, especially when you have downstairs neighbors.  The neighbors above me are a family of stompers and besides being admittedly quite sensitive to noise as well as a light sleeper, ,the way they "walk normally" gives me panic and anxiety because it is an aggressive, frantic stomping that is so loud I cannot hear my own thoughts and literally wakes me up 9 mornings out of 10.  I get it that they're "walking normally," but with a little consideration they could improve (or rather, stop infringing upon) my quality of life, with a small amount of effort not to clomp around as if the living room were a football field.

/senf

I don't stomp, and I draw the line at people telling me I need to learn how to walk inside the apartment I pay rent for. If she is oversensitive to noise she doesn't belong in an apartment building. 

Just now, dessa_dangerous said:

Did I say you do? 

But, you might do, without realizing it.

If I did, which I'm pretty sure I don't because otherwise I would hear it myself, then I'm sorry but she should move out, because I am not about to take walking lessons with a medical professional just to please her oversensitive ear. There is no way that I can walk more softly than this.

also, what kind of mess is that?  If you can't be considerate of others, maybe YOU'RE the one that doesn't belong in apartment building?  Did that ever occur to you, @virginiavedder?

I am actually a really good neighbor and I get along with everyone else except her, I receive everyone's packages and I'm super considerate. In fact, I have never had a party or played loud music. What she's demanding is irrational, and she has a history of complaining about everyone above her, so maybe she shouldn't have people living on top of her flat.

Just now, lunaCH said:

Especially if it is on carpet !!

Exactly. And we also wear slippers inside the house. And we both work 10-12 hours a day so we don't have a lot of time to walk around the house anyway.

I liked the suggestion upthread to compare notes of noise.  I can definitely hear noise "above" me that is coming from somewhere else,  I learned this when my upstairs neighbors went on vacation and still I heard quite a lot of sound coming from upstairs.

The lady is obviously being disturbed by something.  There are truly some neighbors who are mad when you flush the toilet in the night.  There are also neighbors who despite their best intentions with carpets and slippers still can stomp the hell out of an apartment floor.  I think the key is finding out the root of the sound and finding a compromise if one is possible.  In the end we're all neighbors and have to live with one another.  She shouldn't terrorize you or go to the house management IMO.  Starting with comparing notes about the times of "too much" noise is a good start, I think.

I liked the suggestion upthread to compare notes of noise.  I can definitely hear noise "above" me that is coming from somewhere else,  I learned this when my upstairs neighbors went on vacation and still I heard quite a lot of sound coming from upstairs.

The lady is obviously being disturbed by something.  There are truly some neighbors who are mad when you flush the toilet in the night.  There are also neighbors who despite their best intentions with carpets and slippers still can stomp the hell out of an apartment floor.  I think the key is finding out the root of the sound and finding a compromise if one is possible.  In the end we're all neighbors and have to live with one another.  She shouldn't terrorize you or go the house management IMO.  Starting with comparing notes about the times "too much" noise is a good start, I think.

I am 99% sure she's hearing the people upstairs of us, who DO stomp, but they're kids. She only started complaining after they moved in, and we had already been here for a year with no noise complaints. But lo and behold, the kids' mom told me the lady also complained to her about the kids noise, so it left me wondering how she can differentiate between the noises we supposedly make and the noises the people above us make.

I 100% agree that we are sharing a living space and it can be messy to cohabitate with strangers, which is why I try my best to be tolerant, but she decided to threaten my living situation over something that we have no control about, so the lines of communication have been broken. We're seriously very quiet people. My brother is autistic and has hyperacusis so I am very conscious of noise and I am certain that I am very quiet, and so is my husband. I think she has other issues going on and she's fixating on the supposed footsteps. 

2 hours ago, virginiavedder said:

the kids' mom told me the lady also complained to her about the kids noise,

so it left me wondering

I think she has other issues going on and she's fixating on the supposed footsteps. 

And you have fairly ordinary hours. Imagine what this sort of person would be like if she had people in her building (or even directly above her) who work shifts and have odd hours! 

I can also imagine once you've moved out next year (if she hasn't also) that the next tenants will have issues and if you're particularly quiet then they will definitely be louder - and she will regret her complaints. She may think next year that you left because of her and be mad with herself! :lol:

Noise from neighbours can be so deceptive in flats, condos.  Past experience- I learned that the renovation noise and drilling that was coming from unit 2 doors along  was, in fact, from a unit 2 floors above us.  The building was a  very nice condo building, but pipes, connections could be so deceptive.   Like the water leak from a unit 3 floors up- ignored one floor and flooded several below! 

Even the smallest noise can be irritating,   and can lead to inter-unit war.   Good luck with your next place.

@virginiavedder

She really can't do anything besides what she is already doing: being a nuisance and tattling. Evictions are a long drawn out affair here, and will never result due to hearsay (such as complaining that you are walking around your own flat). Property managers may send a warning on official letterhead because it gets the ornery old bag off their backs. They clearly have no idea what's really going on, but they can probably tell she's a special case, so they do it to show they did something. I wouldn't worry about it too much. She may not like foreigners, but you don't know that she isn't also complaining about others in building.

You can complain to the management about her behaviour and cigarette smoke getting in your flat (although there is nothing you can do about that) if you wanna go the tit for tat route. Will be sort of a dead end, but just to be on record.

As @LeonG suggested, try to get her to keep a log of noise at certain times and what it was. If they don't line up upon comparing, you know for sure she's full of it, and if they actually do line up, maybe you can triangulate whatever the hell her problem is. (She may not play along because it will force her to be proactive in a solution, when it's easier to just sit back and yell for the authorities.) You don't have to actually adjust your behaviour though, just let her believe it and play along.

What I would do in your situation is: nothing. If you are confident you are not doing anything wrong, then that's that. Let her stew in her own juices.

On 10/16/2020, 8:39:28, lunaCH said:

But I was not amused at the dead bird and dead mouse lined up outside the front door the other morning. The bird's head had been chopped off. I assume he ate it. :rolleyes:

Is your neighbour a cat, perchance? They're pretty good at delivering surgically dissected small critters to doorsteps.

7 hours ago, alderhill said:

Is your neighbour a cat, perchance? They're pretty good at delivering surgically dissected small critters to doorsteps.

The head had been cut off in a straight line, not torn off. A cat doesn't line them up exactly perpendicular to the step either. :(

2 hours ago, lunaCH said:

The head had been cut off in a straight line, not torn off. A cat doesn't line them up exactly perpendicular to the step either. :(

Maybe it is.  I had a cat in the US who was a dedicated rabbit-slayer.  When it came to doorstep displays of his rampages, he was a meticulous artist :)