My neighbor is trying to get me evicted

57 posts in this topic

57 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

- oh yes! Apparently, some people even keep loads of dogs and cats around their home...  ;)

The funny thing is we have pets in the flat (all allowed by our contract) and we always thought that if we ever had a complaint it would be about the dog jumping around when he's excited or the cats meowing demanding for food. Never about us walking around.

10 minutes ago, virginiavedder said:

Ok you win lol

This is one I don't want to win. There's only so much a person can take.

13 minutes ago, Acton said:

The name of the film, "Stop the world, I want to get off".

How? :unsure: There don't seem to be many options open. :(

9 minutes ago, virginiavedder said:

The funny thing is we have pets in the flat (all allowed by our contract) and we always thought that if we ever had a complaint it would be about the dog jumping around when he's excited or the cats meowing demanding for food. Never about us walking around.

She probably can't hear the dog or cats and complained simply about something random which she can barely hear.

10 minutes ago, virginiavedder said:

The arrogance of humans! You need contractual permission in Germany to allow a cat or dog!

And in Greece - you don‘t need any permission. Just don‘t let them inside!

To the OP who it seems people have forgotten in order to tell their own sob stories.

Join the Mietverein now. You need them and may need them in your future flat. 

Ignore the neighbor.

8 hours ago, fraufruit said:

OP who it seems people have forgotten in order to tell their own sob stories.

Not at all. The OP got several replies. You seem to have missed that. :rolleyes:

Discussions develop when people have similar issues. I'm amazed you can't see that. :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Ignore the neighbor.

Already been said. Clearly you didn't see that either! :rolleyes:

Nobody suggested the Mietverein though, and that is probably the most important step.

OP if you google Mietverein and where you are, you can find the nearest and most appropriate one. It is not expensive to join and they will offer help in a variety of situations, whilst being up to speed with the local and national regulations.

There are unfortunately people whose hobby is to bait/hassle their neighbours and it is no fun if you end up with one close by.

11 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Join the Mietverein now. You need them and may need them in your future flat.

17 minutes ago, kiplette said:

Nobody suggested the Mietverein though, and that is probably the most important step.

BTW- It's Mieterverein 🤗.

OP if you google Mietverein and where you are, you can find the nearest and most appropriate one. It is not expensive to join and they will offer help in a variety of situations, whilst being up to speed with the local and national regulations.

There are unfortunately people whose hobby is to bait/hassle their neighbours and it is no fun if you end up with one close by.

We considered this but since we're planning to move our of Hessen anyway in May next year, we thought it might be a good idea to join the Mietverein in Karlsruhe once we arrive. 

You can transfer your Mieterverein membership.  We moved to Wiesbaden from Stuttgart and it was very easy to simply request a transfer of the membership to up here.

14 hours ago, lunaCH said:

That's nothing - and if you think that's problematic you're living in a dream world.

Ours has a form of slow-onset dementia and is an alcoholic, becoming very agressive towards his partner and us. He once tried to set heating oil alight and has threatened to burn down the building with all of us inside on at least five occasions. As mentioned previously on another thread we are waiting for a court date as have sued him for the damage he caused. He destroyed 3 flat entrance doors, one was brand new and also destroyed, putting out of service the entire heating system. 

I have a four page document listing everything else he has done as well as a kilometre long email which goes back and forth between Police, State prosecution, lawyer, Gemeinde, mayor, Sozialamt, Sozial-Psychiatrische Dienst, another neighbour etc. etc. - not that anyone actually does anything about him. He is still here, six months on. 

Most people have told us the with German law and German bureaucracy you're stuffed and no one can do anything about people like him including the Police. You're basically on your own in such cases and all we can do is wait until he drinks himself to death, hoping that he doesn't succeed in setting anything alight. 

The Police have been here 15 times already. Once to turn off the cooker which he had left on - he was in a hospital bed and remembered, so told the nurse who phone the Police who went to get the key off him in hospital. 

He had his licence revoked after causing a car accident, - car was a write-off. Since then he has become even more aggressive. 

It's been quieter lately. But I was not amused at the dead bird and dead mouse lined up outside the front door the other morning. The bird's head had been chopped off. I assume he ate it. :rolleyes:

Oh that´s an easy one to solve. Just provide him with enough alcohol, the nasty cheap 45% plonk from Aldi will do, and shift his shuffle off this mortal coil into overdrive.

4 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

Can you suggest something specifically for old people or drunks? :unsure:

I mean if you want to play games, is there anything illegal about playing the same song on repeat while you are at work? Everyone loves the Macarana or Free Bird.

People who are not sensitive to noise just do not get how horrible somebody else's noise is. 

Just because making noise is not illegal does not make it right, and certainly doesn't make it nice.

41 minutes ago, Petro6golf said:

playing the same song on repeat while you are at work? Everyone loves the Macarana

:lol: This made me LOL. Unhappily not an option as we're mainly at home.

On 16/10/2020 20:42:09, LeonG said:

They can't evict you for walking inside your apartment.  If they try it, you refuse to leave, they will have to take you to court to get an eviction notice and they will not get it for this reason.  End of story.

If you think it's the kids she's hearing, you should talk to her about it and ask her to keep a journal on when she hears noise from above and you will do the same as well as list when you are not at home.  After a week, you compare.  If you have the same time and date for kids noise, then it's the kids noise and if she reports noise when you are not home, then it obviously wasn't you.  The people with the kids will not get in trouble.  Kids are allowed to play in Germany.

I agree, and I have never complained about the noise from upstairs because they are allowed to do whatever they want inside their flat. It's funny that there's an actual sign in the building's inner garden that says that it is forbidden for children to play in there lol

4 hours ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

People who are not sensitive to noise just do not get how horrible somebody else's noise is. 

Just because making noise is not illegal does not make it right, and certainly doesn't make it nice.

Agreed but we are not "making noise", we're literally just walking normally inside our house. We know how it sounds because there's kids upstairs from us and there is no way it can be that disrupting and if it is, she should move to a place with no upstairs neighbors or better noise insulation. People who are *that* sensitive to noise do not belong in an apartment building.

Put the mother lovin fear of god in her, next time you cross paths. Shame on you for letting this get here anyway. Some old disgruntled eff is going to disrupt your life and you let it happen? What’s even more funny is you complained about her smoking as an afterthought. 

7 hours ago, virginiavedder said:

Agreed but we are not "making noise", we're literally just walking normally inside our house. We know how it sounds because there's kids upstairs from us and there is no way it can be that disrupting

I was in exactly the same situation all those years ago. I never heard anything from the upstairs flat despite the fact that there were two people living there - and I consider myself sensitive to noise! 

So how the guy underneath was disturbed just by me getting up and moving around in the morning was beyond me. He must have been extremely sensitive to noise or a very light sleeper, almost listening out for it. 

Others can't stop you going about your daily routine. And they can't prove the noise is excessive when it isn't. ;)