My neighbor is trying to get me evicted

57 posts in this topic

Hello all,

 

I live near Frankfurt. About a year after moving in, a neighbor sent a two-page letter complaining about our footsteps. We went down to talk to her, and she said that other neighbors could hear us too. We told her the truth: that we do our best, we only walk normally inside the house, we wear slippers inside and have carpets, and that other than levitating there is nothing else we can do. She said she wanted us to correct our behavior and we responded that we couldn't do anything because we weren't doing anything on purpose, just normal inside walking. In addition we work long hours and are always in bed by 10 PM, we don't have children, we don't smoke, we don't know anybody in Germany so have never in two years had a party or people over, we don't play music without earphones, so she has literally nothing else to complain about.

When we first moved we got the feeling she doesn't like immigrants, and our suspicion is that she just doesn't want us in the building. She also came to complain once that some droplets of water from my balcony plants fell on her plants, which prompted me to ask her how she copes with rain. She didn't like it. The former tenants are friends of us (we got the flat from them), they are also non-German and they also warned us about her, saying she harassed them over petty stuff all the time. 

Anyway, after we talked to her about the noise she seemed to quiet down, but today we got a letter from the company managing the building saying they're giving us a first warning, and that we will be evicted if the neighbors complain again. 

I have the suspicion that she might be hearing the neighbors above us, since they have kids who run around and stomp a lot, and she hadn't complained before they moved in, but I cannot reason with her anymore since she has escalated it to trying to evict us. 

I sent a letter to the company explaining all this, including the fact that she seems to have fixation with us in particular, even though we're otherwise exemplary neighbors. There are a couple other groups of young people in the building who have parties, listen to loud music, but she chose to complain about the only two non-German people in the building over walking inside the flat. 

My question is basically can we be evicted just over her word? Doesn't she need to produce evidence of this supposed unbearable noise we make? The letter said another neighbor complained as well, and we know she has a friend in the building who is also a handful herself (she has pestered another neighbor over how we folds the cardboard when putting it in the paper bin) so we suppose she got an accomplice. 

I would be more understanding if we didn't work 10-12 hours a day and actually had parties or played loud music, but we find it unacceptable that the company would take what she says at face value, since we're sure we're not making noise. We have made an appointment with a lawyer for next week, and we're planning to leave the building in May next year, but we're concerned about possible eviction. 

 

Thanks in advance!

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Start looking for another flat... 

 

maybe you will find a nicer/ Better/ Cheaper one...  

 

 

I am not saying move...  but atleast have potential flats lined up, just incase!

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SpiderPig said:

Start looking for another flat... 

 

maybe you will find a nicer/ Better/ Cheaper one...  

 

 

I am not saying move...  but atleast have potential flats lined up, just incase!

 

We are planning to move to Karlsruhe in May, so we truly don't want this hassle right now.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, virginiavedder said:

a neighbor sent a two-page letter complaining about our footsteps. We went down to talk to her, and she said that other neighbors could hear us too. We told her the truth: that we do our best, we only walk normally inside the house, we wear slippers inside and have carpets,

 

we're planning to leave the building in May next year, but we're concerned about possible eviction. 

If they don't have recordings of the noise or Police reports stating there is excessive emanating from your flat - it's their word against yours. There is simply no evidence. 

You could do exactly the same thing to her and write to the property management stating she is banging constantly on the ceiling. Again, with no evidence it would be your word only. :rolleyes: 

I am surprised there is a complaint about this when you have a carpet as usually the noise of footsteps is less with this floor covering compared to other types. 

There is no way they will get you evicted before May in any case as it is all based on rumours/hearsay. ;) 

Just ignore it and prepare for your move which will come around soon in any case.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

If they don't have recordings of the noise or Police reports stating there is excessive emanating from your flat - it's their word against yours. There is no evidence. 

You could do exactly the same thing to her and write to the property management stating she is banging constantly on the ceiling. Again, with no evidence it would be your word only. :rolleyes: 

I am surprised there is a complaint about this when you have a carpet as usually the noise of footsteps is less with this floor covering compared to other types.

That is exactly my point! We have never had the police over. We will definitely put several complaints about her after this is solved because she smokes

excessively in the balcony and the smoke gets inside our flat, and she also throws litter out of the balcony, aside from the harassment. I would normally never put a complaint over this kind of thing but I think she needs to learn a hard lesson.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a neighbour in the flat underneath who complained about my footsteps. This was 15 years ago. I got up very early for work. He didn't like it as could hear me moving around. I got a letter from property management and simply ignored it. Nothing happened. Obviously though he was really bothered by my early starts and moved out. Silly beggar. I moved out (out of choice to shorten my commute) a few months later anyway. :rolleyes:

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lunaCH said:

I had a neighbour in the flat underneath who complained about my footsteps. This was 15 years ago. I got up very early for work. He didn't like it as could hear me moving around. I got a letter from property management and simply ignored it. Nothing happened. Obviously though he was really bothered by my early starts and moved out. Silly beggar. I moved out (out of choice to shorten my commute) a few months later anyway. :rolleyes:

This is also the case with us. We respect the rest hours and we're always in bed before 10 PM so we were surprised. The neighbor says we annoy her when walking around before AM because she gets up at that time :eyeroll:

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many good reasons not to have neighbours. We all have habits which can annoy our neighbours and vice versa. Yeah, played loud music when I was younger and didn‘t consider the neighbours. 
We have a psychopathic neighbour. 
You can‘t get away from people who are a pain in the neck - not only in cities but also in villages..

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, john g. said:

 We all have habits which can annoy our neighbours and vice versa.

 

- oh yes! Apparently, some people even keep loads of dogs and cats around their home....  ;)

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Evening, rob!🙏🏻 A sane person ( more or less!) is back here! You are alone with your sanity!💋🤪

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His latest trick recently... leaves are falling from plants.. the time of year.. and he sweeps them into my direction and then ranted recently „ in front of your house, you must clean. You are uneducated ( sic: impolite - he‘s French and used a „ false friend „ ) „

🙁

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We live in our house for 10 years now. Last week i offered our neighbour that he can say "you to me".

If you don't have a problem with a neighbour for 10 years the chances are, that a good neighbourhood  will last some years more.

Nothing worse than to be in court with someone you are on a first name basis with.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, john g. said:

His latest trick recently... leaves are falling from plants.. the time of year.. and he sweeps them into my direction and then ranted recently „ in front of your house, you must clean. You are uneducated ( sic: impolite - he‘s French and used a „ false friend „ ) „

 

That's nothing - and if you think that's problematic you're living in a dream world.

Ours has a form of slow-onset dementia and is an alcoholic, becoming very agressive towards his partner and us. He once tried to set heating oil alight and has threatened to burn down the building with all of us inside on at least five occasions. As mentioned previously on another thread we are waiting for a court date as have sued him for the damage he caused. He destroyed 3 flat entrance doors, one was brand new and also destroyed, putting out of service the entire heating system. 

I have a four page document listing everything else he has done as well as a kilometre long email which goes back and forth between Police, State prosecution, lawyer, Gemeinde, mayor, Sozialamt, Sozial-Psychiatrische Dienst, another neighbour etc. etc. - not that anyone actually does anything about him. He is still here, six months on. 

Most people have told us the with German law and German bureaucracy you're stuffed and no one can do anything about people like him including the Police. You're basically on your own in such cases and all we can do is wait until he drinks himself to death, hoping that he doesn't succeed in setting anything alight. 

The Police have been here 15 times already. Once to turn off the cooker which he had left on - he was in a hospital bed and remembered, so told the nurse who phone the Police who went to get the key off him in hospital. 

He had his licence revoked after causing a car accident, - car was a write-off. Since then he has become even more aggressive. 

It's been quieter lately. But I was not amused at the dead bird and dead mouse lined up outside the front door the other morning. The bird's head had been chopped off. I assume he ate it. :rolleyes:

 

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, virginiavedder said:

Anyway, after we talked to her about the noise she seemed to quiet down, but today we got a letter from the company managing the building saying they're giving us a first warning, and that we will be evicted if the neighbors complain again. 

I have the suspicion that she might be hearing the neighbors above us, since they have kids who run around and stomp a lot, and she hadn't complained before they moved in, but I cannot reason with her anymore since she has escalated it to trying to evict us. 

 

They can't evict you for walking inside your apartment.  If they try it, you refuse to leave, they will have to take you to court to get an eviction notice and they will not get it for this reason.  End of story.

 

If you think it's the kids she's hearing, you should talk to her about it and ask her to keep a journal on when she hears noise from above and you will do the same as well as list when you are not at home.  After a week, you compare.  If you have the same time and date for kids noise, then it's the kids noise and if she reports noise when you are not home, then it obviously wasn't you.  The people with the kids will not get in trouble.  Kids are allowed to play in Germany.

 

7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

 

That's nothing - and if you think that's problematic you're living in a dream world.

Ours has a form of slow-onset dementia and is an alcoholic, becoming very agressive towards his partner and us. He once tried to set heating oil alight and has threatened to burn down the building with all of us inside on at least five occasions. As mentioned previously on another thread we are waiting for a court date as have sued him for the damage he caused. He destroyed 3 flat entrance doors, one was brand new and also destroyed, putting out of service the entire heating system. 

I have a four page document listing everything else he has done as well as a kilometre long email which goes back and forth between Police, State prosecution, lawyer, Gemeinde, mayor, Sozialamt, Psychiatrische Dienst, another neighbour etc. etc. - not that anyone actually does anything about him. He is still here, six months on. 

Most people have told us the with German law and German bureaucracy you're stuffed and no one can do anything about people like him including the Police. You're basically on your own in such cases and all we can do is wait until he drinks himself to death, hoping that he doesn't succeed in setting anything alight. 

He had his licence revoked after causing a car accident, - car was a write-off. Since then he has become even more aggressive. 

It's been quieter lately. But I was not amused at the dead bird and dead mouse lined up outside the front door the other morning. The bird's head had been chopped off. I assume he ate it. :rolleyes:

 

 

Jeez..😟

This guy is about 70, happens to be French, and once said : „ help, there is a very sick dog next to the rubbish container.. can you help?“

so- adopted the dog, lived here, vet stuff , walkies bla bla bla.

One day, we were getting into the car and he stood in front to try to stop us driving away..“ you must stay at home. The police will visit you.“

 

We drove off. Got home and two police arrived - the older man and the younger one with a gun and who refused to sit down.

“ Your neighbour says you have too many dogs.“

There were two at the time - including the one HE asked for help for!

Many other stories. He is a nutter- no, he is evil personified. 

 

RIP: Walker...what the French guy showed me. Arsehole.

IMG_6913 (002).JPG

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

 

That's nothing - and if you think that's problematic you're living in a dream world.

Ours has a form of slow-onset dementia and is an alcoholic, becoming very agressive towards his partner and us. He once tried to set heating oil alight and has threatened to burn down the building with all of us inside on at least five occasions. As mentioned previously on another thread we are waiting for a court date as have sued him for the damage he caused. He destroyed 3 flat entrance doors, one was brand new and also destroyed, putting out of service the entire heating system. 

I have a four page document listing everything else he has done as well as a kilometre long email which goes back and forth between Police, State prosecution, lawyer, Gemeinde, mayor, Sozialamt, Sozial-Psychiatrische Dienst, another neighbour etc. etc. - not that anyone actually does anything about him. He is still here, six months on. 

Most people have told us the with German law and German bureaucracy you're stuffed and no one can do anything about people like him including the Police. You're basically on your own in such cases and all we can do is wait until he drinks himself to death, hoping that he doesn't succeed in setting anything alight. 

The Police have been here 15 times already. Once to turn off the cooker which he had left on - he was in a hospital bed and remembered, so told the nurse who phone the Police who went to get the key off him in hospital. 

He had his licence revoked after causing a car accident, - car was a write-off. Since then he has become even more aggressive. 

It's been quieter lately. But I was not amused at the dead bird and dead mouse lined up outside the front door the other morning. The bird's head had been chopped off. I assume he ate it. :rolleyes:

 

 

Ok you win lol

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now