Email from police - stolen PSN codes

10 posts in this topic

I got an email from Bayern Polizeihauptkommissar asking for information about particular Sony PSN code (Guthaben codes) I used in July 2019 which appears to be stolen. They would like to know where I bought it from.

As far as I can see this email is legit, I did use the code in question (50 EUR worth), I bought it from kinguin the day before I used it and I still have the confirmation email and paypal receipt.

So, questions:

1. Should I provide them with information I have? Can I be charged with "posession of stolen goods" or something similar?

2. Should I stick with physical Guthaben cards from now on? As far as I can see there are a lot of websites offering the discounted codes as download only 

Thanks in advance,

D.

Kinguin is a market place, so it is the jungle out there.   You probably would be OK by providing the information from the transaction, however I am not a lawyer.

3 hours ago, DuBa said:

1. Should I provide them with information I have? Can I be charged with "posession of stolen goods" or something similar?

Yes you should provide them. Its good that you have email and other transaction as proof. Police should now pursue who sold it. 

3 hours ago, DuBa said:

2. Should I stick with physical Guthaben cards from now on? As far as I can see there are a lot of websites offering the discounted codes as download only 

It's difficult to know which sites are legal or not, apart from original. Site. Even i see the regular penny/rewe offering 15% discount on playstore & itune cards legally from time to time. Physical Guthaben cards and codes from legal source definitely can avoid such email. 

Jesus! How the hell, or why the hell, did they find that you used that code?!

I have also bought codes from kinguin.

54 minutes ago, vivanco said:

Physical Guthaben cards and codes from legal source definitely can avoid such email. 

Yes this is true. And there are sometimes offers in shops/supermarkets where they give you a discount or extra points for buying them. It's basically free money. :)

54 minutes ago, BobbyDigital said:

I have also bought codes from kinguin.

Perhaps real codes, but bought with a stolen credit card.  Then resold on kinguin.  Details from credit card bill?

4 hours ago, BobbyDigital said:

Because Sony knows your email address and a few other things about you.  They might even have your ID (needed to confirm your age in some situations).

17 hours ago, Krieg said:

Because Sony knows your email address and a few other things about you.  They might even have your ID (needed to confirm your age in some situations).

Yeah, I mean I get all of that.

Then whoever they were stolen from (or maybe even Sony) has to report it to their local police who then report them stolen to Sony, and Sony then finds who used it and calls their local police? That's crazy. Especially for 50 bucks.

20 hours ago, snowingagain said:

Perhaps real codes, but bought with a stolen credit card.  Then resold on kinguin.  Details from credit card bill?

Ah ok, that would make more sense.

Then whoever they were stolen from (or maybe even Sony) has to report it to their local police who then report them stolen to Sony, and Sony then finds who used it and calls their local police? That's crazy. Especially for 50 bucks.

It seems from the email I got that a lot of codes were stolen in May 2019 and Sony only now came up with info on accounts which used them. 

I will send all information  I have to the police and will update once I get the feedback from them 

thnx

D.