Car Accident with Fahrerflucht

90 posts in this topic

@MikeMelga

you cant just use any jack on a Tesla... or so they say...

 

There is a good device available identicle to the one pictured below, We have one in the workshop that was bought and used once!!   

 

We looked at the Pneumatic lifters too, but they were agressive...   

 

IMG_6451_1799x1369.jpg?v=1598950234

 

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Thanks, I have no jack and no tools to remove a tire, I will ask a friend if he has some.

 

All these high tech modern cars...

 

My 1959 Citroen ID19 would, if asked, quietly lift a wheel off the ground to allow the wheel and tyre to be changed.

 

Hydro-whatever suspension pushed to max, then put a brick under the car, put suspension back to min. 

Magic...

 

 

And ye tell the young folk that, and they just woont b'lieve yes

:o

 

Oh yes, the wheel had only one central nut. The supplied allen key was around a metre long IIRC.

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

Hydro-whatever suspension

 

 

Hydro-elastic...   

 

And it probably had headlamps that turned when you turned the steering wheel!!     

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn, this thread went fast!

 

Update:

The guy came within 1h, great! Highly recommend ADAC!

He opened up the hole and placed some red plaster (tire repair kit) thing to temporarily close it until I take it to the shop. He says that probably the hole is too close to the edge. I've made a red line showing where the hole is relating to the edge below.

Regarding removing the screw and losing track of the hole, I found that taking pictures framing the screw position against the sidewall of the tire makes it very easy to spot. Then I marked with chalk, just to be on the safe side. 

reifen3.png.e9f9c816aa92da6bf81f0849311b

 

BTW, most modern cars come without spare tire. My 2010 Merc comes without it. TBH, the only other time I had a flat tire, 20 years ago, I was unable to swap it as the bolts were calcified. Foam is simpler and saves weight+space. Also a bit worthless to carry a tire for 20 years, if you can call ADAC to solve it within 1h.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Once you have done that and you can refrain from posting crap ( I am a long time crap poster, so I know).. take a look at this vid and you will see why Garages do not want to repair or touch Tesla Tyres!

 

Unsure about S/X, but the Model 3 has normal tires from Pirelli and other brands. Mine are not run flat nor they are very expensive.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SpiderPig said:

@MikeMelga

you cant just use any jack on a Tesla... or so they say...

Yes, you just need to be more careful where to put the weight in, as the battery can be damaged. I printed out the user manual page for guidance but we did not lift the car in the end.

After all this I remembered that I do have a jack on the Mercedes!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice one, Mike!

I know.. I know.. one of my stories.. my ex-father-in-law from Badajoz.. we were in Portugal about 30 years ago.. dinner in Elvas. And a flat tyre and Pepe just said to some guys on the street „ can you help?“

And some Portuguese guys helped and Pepe invited me and his daughter and his wife for a glass of wine meanwhile!😂

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MikeMelga

"BTW, most modern cars come without spare tire. My 2010 Merc comes without it. TBH, the only other time I had a flat tire, 20 years ago, I was unable to swap it as the bolts were calcified. Foam is simpler and saves weight+space. Also a bit worthless to carry a tire for 20 years, if you can call ADAC to solve it within 1h."

 

Dunno, feels eerie scary to me. Remember when a tire burst on the autobahn one day. Changed it.

The space and energy thing - do I agree? - a waste?,

but why the hack do they build cars of living room size with big balls when space & energy matter?

Hypocritical and senseless - leaving the driver as a poor kermit (and f*cking mother earth by the way)

... You know the frog with the hand inside. (ADAC)

 

OFF TOPIC -- how does the

  1 hour ago, XXXXX said:

thing work?

First day here. First posts. First social media. Boomer.

Had to be a day like today.

view: What made you cry today.

No excuse but i dare

 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

Unsure about S/X, but the Model 3 has normal tires from Pirelli and other brands. Mine are not run flat nor they are very expensive.

 

Big surprise (not)

 

Again, don‘t let the tire guys tell you that you need a new tire, unless they can prove it.   I have run repaired tires on my Supercar Lite without issues.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But if MrMelga has the money, why not play it safe and buy new?     ( Repair will be about 30€...   A new tyre, about 70€ ...   Obiously thats a rough guestimation)

 

BTW, I am still waiting for you to show me how leaving a car sitting with a flat tyre will damage the wheel assembly... 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ooch said:

Dunno, feels eerie scary to me. Remember when a tire burst on the autobahn one day. Changed it.

 

There was no spare tire on my rental car when this happened, and even if there was one, I did not feel like changing it at minus 10 degrees frost at night. So I had the car towed to the garage. 

 

In Germany, there are no remote places outside of human civilization, so one can pay a small fee and rely on ADAC. It is also dangerous to do any work on the autobahn. 

 

In Israel, we carry a spare tire and foam because you never know if the mechanic in the area does not observe Shabes (then if your tire is flat on Friday afternoon, you're stuck for 24 hours), and also there are really remote places like the desert etc.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, yourkeau said:

There was no spare tire on my rental car when this happened, and even if there was one, I did not feel like changing it at minus 10 degrees frost at night. So I had the car towed to the garage. 

 

In Germany, there are no remote places outside of human civilization, so one can pay a small fee and rely on ADAC. It is also dangerous to do any work on the autobahn. 

 

In Israel, we carry a spare tire and foam because you never know if the mechanic in the area does not observe Shabes (then if your tire is flat on Friday afternoon, you're stuck for 24 hours), and also there are really remote places like the desert etc.

Where are the horses when you need them?!

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, yourkeau said:

and also there are really remote places like the desert etc.

 

2 hours ago, RedMidge said:

Where are the h̶o̶r̶s̶e̶s̶  Camels when you need them?!

 

Changed that for you.:D

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

But if MrMelga has the money, why not play it safe and buy new?     ( Repair will be about 30€...   A new tyre, about 70€ ...   Obiously thats a rough guestimation)

Unfortunately these tires cost between 150-220€, depending on exact model... :(

I have another decision: my normal tire shop had no Felgen for the winter tires, so they advised me to buy it at Tesla. Tesla offered me tires + felgen for just 300€ more than just Felgen, so I accepted, knowing I can later sell the older ones.

So I do actually have 4 replacement tires, but if I use one, I kill the set, making it harder to sell...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

.

So I do actually have 4 replacement tires, but if I use one, I kill the set, making it harder to sell...

 

Why harder to sell?  Its a tesla... an EV, the future of automotive industry...    lets face it, it just one tyre out of 4 that is absent...

 

 

Still waiting for the cowboy to tell me how a flat tyre can destroy the wheel assembly....      Maybe he has a hang over... 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

So I do actually have 4 replacement tires, but if I use one, I kill the set, making it harder to sell...

 

If you intend to sell in a few years, no German buyer will consider these tires "new" if their production date is more than 2 years in the past, and will therefore offer less anyway: https://www.adac.de/rund-ums-fahrzeug/ausstattung-technik-zubehoer/reifen/reifenkauf/reifenalter/

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PandaMunich said:

 

If you intend to sell in a few years, no German buyer will consider these tires "new" if their production date is more than 2 years in the past, and will therefore offer less anyway: https://www.adac.de/rund-ums-fahrzeug/ausstattung-technik-zubehoer/reifen/reifenkauf/reifenalter/

Thanks Panda, I think I've made my mind, if it is not reparable, I will use one pair of the old ones and keep the others as space, if I can't sell them.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14.11.2020, 21:52:05, MikeMelga said:

Yes, you just need to be more careful where to put the weight in, as the battery can be damaged. I printed out the user manual page for guidance but we did not lift the car in the end.

After all this I remembered that I do have a jack on the Mercedes!

 

All this talk of jacks and wheel changes on a car of the future....

Here a film about the past.

 

A Citroen DS20 (mine was the earlier version the 1959 ID19).

 

I could remove the wheel with only one wheel nut, but it would also run on 3.

So get back to civilisation (or Manchester, whichever nearer) and get the carried 4th wheel repaired.

 

Maybe fast forward a bit - it's a bit heavy on explanations....

 

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, that's cheating with active suspension! :D

 

Quick update: replaced two back wheels with the old spares for 60€ and now I have 3 spares...

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now