Car Accident with Fahrerflucht

90 posts in this topic

Hi all, yesterday I was in my car. I stopped on the side of the street on a parking lot and all of a sudden a car crashed my right mirror. I jumped out of the car screaming heeeeeeeeey the car stopped for a moment and decided to continue on its way. Luckily I remembered the car nummber and I called the police. They came, they made photos and everything. They are not giving me any info about the people that caused the incident. Suddenly I received a SMS in which they said that they are sorry and if I send them the car service bill they will pay it asap.

What would you do in my place?

Should I provide my bank details and hopefully they transfer the money or should I contact their insurance and go the offical way, even contacting a lawyer or what?

Thank you in advanced for the fast replies!

They realise they're in deep shit for leaving the scene of an accident.  Do it the official way.   The insurance will re-imburse you anyway. 

34 minutes ago, Lotzo said:

. Suddenly I received a SMS in which they said that they are sorry and if I send them the car service bill they will pay it asap.!

How could they have got your number? 

Just now, vivanco said:

How could they have got your number? 

I asked myselft this as well. I think the police gave it away. The Police is the only one that has all my data.

4 minutes ago, silty1 said:

They realise they're in deep shit for leaving the scene of an accident.  Do it the official way.   The insurance will re-imburse you anyway. 

Am I doing wrong if I send them an Email with the Service Repair Offer and my bank details, hoping they pay it? And they pay it...

I´ve already done the offical part by contacting the police. Now I´m just skipping contacting their insurance...

4 minutes ago, Lotzo said:

I asked myselft this as well. I think the police gave it away. The Police is the only one that has all my data.

With this assumption, the police know the guilty party. And police will be filing the case for hit & run

2 minutes ago, Lotzo said:

Am I doing wrong if I send them an Email with the Service Repair Offer and my bank details, hoping they pay it? And they pay it...

I´ve already done the offical part by contacting the police. Now I´m just skipping contacting their insurance...

How much do you think will be the repair bill? If the other party happily pay it privately, then there is no problem. 

It just makes things easier for you to go through insurance.  Give them all the details and they'll take care of everything. My experience so far, anyway. 

7 hours ago, Lotzo said:

That´s what I´d do. Going via the insurance will be more of a hassle. You´ll have to fill in questionnaires, explain in detail what happened etc. You can still do that if the perpetrators don´t pay.

1 hour ago, jeba said:

That´s what I´d do. Going via the insurance will be more of a hassle. You´ll have to fill in questionnaires, explain in detail what happened etc. You can still do that if the perpetrators don´t pay.

What kind of non-sense advice is this? How long would you wait to see if they pay? How much are you going to let them pay you? Simply go to your repair shop, tell them the police have the details on what happened, and give the repair shop your insurance details. They'll sort it out. 

1 hour ago, Dubya said:

What kind of non-sense advice is this? How long would you wait to see if they pay? How much are you going to let them pay you?

The cost of the repair. And I´d wait no longer than 2 weeks. Any more questions?

Why should the OP be under any obligation to "help" the perpetrator of the accident - with added crime of Fahrerflucht?

That alone proves they are not trustworthy - also the insurance company might question the 2 week delay.

6 minutes ago, HEM said:

Why should the OP be under any obligation to "help" the perpetrator of the accident - with added crime of Fahrerflucht?

That alone proves they are not trustworthy - also the insurance company might question the 2 week delay.

Why would that help the perpetrator? And on what legal grounds could they question a claim after 2 weeks? Anyway, I said what I would do. Everyone is welcome to do it as they deem fit.

8 minutes ago, jeba said:

Why would that help the perpetrator? 

Mate are you serious or just playing stupid?

Given that a crime has been committed you have gotta be off your rocker to go that route.

3 minutes ago, Bobo der Bär said:

Mate are you serious or just playing stupid?

I´m serious. The police is already involved and the criminal aspect is none of the insurance´s business.

Oh my god, are we even on the same planet?

What if the op needs a replacement car, do you think the Hit and Run driver will pay that as well? and please don't say it's only a door mirror as that will need a minimum of 2 days in the workshop anyway.

Unless of course the op uses some back street auto repair shop tucked away on a Greek Island.

1 hour ago, HEM said:

Why should the OP be under any obligation to "help" the perpetrator of the accident

The OP is not under any obligation.

2 hours ago, Bobo der Bär said:

What if the op needs a replacement car, do you think the Hit and Run driver will pay that as well?

Maybe, if the cost is lower than the increase in the insurance premium? I said what I´d do in the scenarion the OP had described. If there was more damage (like cost of rental car) I´d simply take a lawywer and have him deal with it because my experience taught me that dealing with insurance can be quite a hassle. They may want drawings of the accident scene, detailed explanations etc. That´s why for minor damage I´d simply have it repaired and forward the invoice to the perpetrator. You´d be welcome to handle it differently though.

Personally i'd go through the insurance but that's my choice other's may do it differently.

The issue the other driver has with leaving the accident is nothing to do with the OP, leaving the scene of an accident is dealt with by the police and the other driver will have to wait and see what happens.

Reading through the thread, why did Bobo make a reference to a greek island? Seems like an unnecessary escalation in the discussion.

Any reason you felt the need to make it more personal? 

55 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

Reading through the thread, why did Bobo make a reference to a greek island? Seems like an unnecessary escalation in the discussion.

Any reason you felt the need to make it more personal? 

Who are you the forum bloody social worker?

It was a sarcastic comment not a personal attack. In case you ain't noticed Jeba's profile says he is in Greece and from my experience the costs of doing something there are far cheaper than doing it here.

43 minutes ago, Bobo der Bär said:

Who are you the forum bloody social worker?

It was a sarcastic comment not a personal attack. In case you ain't noticed Jeba's profile says he is in Greece and from my experience the costs of doing something there are far cheaper than doing it here.

Hilarious, cry for attention and hook to go down a different conversation route while demonstrating problems answering questions in a normal way.
Such an edgy tone, please do go on.

*Gets popcorn*.

**May add beer later**..