Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tax returns for 2020 and tax free allowance

3 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

After some hassles in 2019 finally I joined an IT firm and its been 8 months and so far so good. Now, I got a good research position in academia leading to the PhD. The grant is in form of a scholarship, I am about to accept it and it starts in December. However, I am struck with the following doubts.

1) Actual start date is December. But I am obliged to register this month itself, due to semester fee etc obligations. Now, as I am still on job search visa and am about to start the phd, for the months of October and November will I get reduced tax rate as a student from the present company I am working ? If I produce my semester ticket and immatriculation ??

2) For 2020 tax returns I want to claim the money back as a student, I want to buy MacBook Pro, printer etc etc..Can I do it ?? As I started in October as a student will I be able to claim back taxes for MacBook, printer etc from the taxes I paid before the start of studies ??

please throw some light in the topics so that I would be able to decide on my expenses based on claims that can be positively processed.

TIA

2 hours ago, Acrophobic said:

... will I get reduced tax rate as a student from the present company I am working ? If I produce my semester ticket and immatriculation ??

No, you will be continued to be taxed based on your tax class. Unfortunately there is no tax class based on being student in Germany. 

2 hours ago, Acrophobic said:

2) For 2020 tax returns I want to claim the money back as a student, I want to buy MacBook Pro, printer etc etc..Can I do it ?? As I started in October as a student will I be able to claim back taxes for MacBook, printer etc from the taxes I paid before the start of studies ??

Yes you can put the computer cost etc in your steuererklärung. But your work should reflect that you need these gadget for your work. 

9 hours ago, vivanco said:

No, you will be continued to be taxed based on your tax class. Unfortunately there is no tax class based on being student in Germany. 

l

ya, But he would be paying less social contributors.