Environmentally-friendly banking - which bank is best?

5 posts in this topic

I am interested in changing to an environmentally (and socially) responsible bank (having read "How bad are bananas?").

I found the following options, but would be interested in any others people may know, and feedback about these ones:

GLS - www.gls.de

Triodos - www.triodos.de

Ethikbank - www.ethikbank.de

Umweltbank - www.umweltbank.de

Tomorrow - www.tomorrow.one

Any feedback, suggestions or advice would be great! My focus is definitely on the enironmental impact.

Thanks!

Be aware that a few of those are not real banks. As an example, Tomorrow is just 40 "dudes" without a banking license, who use Solarisbank services.

I think you are a bit naive in considering requirements for a bank account, especially if you go for these new "banks", as they offer very few services.

Start with basic requirements. What types of services do you expect from a bank? What type of assurance do you need for your money? What type of customer support do you expect?

I've only heard of GLS, and thinking of moving our banking to them especially since our current bank has introduced charges, I thought at least it should go to what I believe in. They have been around for a while, and a friends company has been using them for years and is happy. If I remember correctly Greenpeace have their account by them.

On 10/7/2020, 3:01:15, Benja83 said:

I am interested in changing to an environmentally (and socially) responsible bank (having read "How bad are bananas?").

I found the following options, but would be interested in any others people may know, and feedback about these ones:

GLS - www.gls.de

Triodos - www.triodos.de

Ethikbank - www.ethikbank.de

Umweltbank - www.umweltbank.de

Tomorrow - www.tomorrow.one

Any feedback, suggestions or advice would be great! My focus is definitely on the enironmental impact.

Thanks!

A couple of friends of mine use GLS Bank. I think it's the most established among all you listed, along with Ethikbank.

Greetings, All!

This is my first Toytown posting. Normally I don't engage in social media at all, but I'm so pissed off at GLS bank that I thought I'd write. I've had an account with Deutsche Bank for years, but their (lack of) ethics is so repellent that I decided to change. We were willing to pay the significantly higher service fees with GLS and were even ready to become 'members' (invest 500 euros in the operation), because we believe in socially responsible banking. We went through the process of setting up an account with GLS, but their follow-up service has been so abysmal that we finally decided to cancel the account before we really got started. They are absolutely unprepared to deal with English-speaking clients (we both have B2 level German, but with two things -- my money and my health -- I really want to be on the firm ground of my native language). Their telephone service is a joke -- several times I've waited nearly an hour for someone to pick up, and then they couldn't (or wouldn't) speak English, and didn't have the patience to deal with my halting German. We went to the one and only branch office in Berlin yesterday to try to get some consultation, and the woman there was so impatient and dismissive, basically telling us we had to do everything on our own via the German-language webpages. Not a hint of the human touch. Yes, I am spoiled by US service standards, and I know Germany is pretty much a service wasteland, but come on! If GLS wants clients, they're going to have to try just a little bit to provide some semblance of service!