Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

HANDBELL CHOIR MUNICH?

6 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of starting a handbell choir. I have the support of the church (where I am long-term interim music director) which is in downtown Munich in Isarvorstadt. It's a Catholic church, but they've made it clear we can open it up to the entire community. I would prioritize 1.) people with previous handbell experience, 2.) people that can read music. Age is irrelevant, I'd say anywhere from 9-10 years old (accompanied by parent) on up is fine. Religious affiliation, etc. is irrevlevant. If have some potential handbell  sets lined up in the states and the church is happy to make the investment, if there's enough interest. To repeat, the funding is already there to aquire the bells if there's enough interest, and obviously we have the rehearsal space. THE REASON OF COURSE IS COVID (and then running into the hopefully permanent future beyond Covid) - it's something that meets the Abstand rules, while we all know choir singing is much more risky. The choir would perform both independently and also at some of the church services, but the Capuchin friars (Franciscans) here are extremely progressive and ecumenical.  But other than that it would be essentially run as a community group using a church space free of charge.                                                        Please serious inquiries only from people that meet 1 or 2 above.  About me: 30 years church music (and ballet music) experience, got married in Boston (1st time) to a German woman who was researching at Harvard for 2 years. We wanted to stay in Boston, but she got strong offer from a German firm, and we decided to move to Munich and here we are (now 1 year). I could run rehearsals in English, German and/or Italian - i would lean towards German. - Hello to all and hope you're all doing well in these difficult times - Kevin

Well, they would practice in the church.

I'm intrigued - how does the handbell choir meet the distancing and max person rules for practicing music?

Aside from cleaning the instruments before each session, I guess spreading out the people and ventilating the room regularily?

(Asking because... this is so unusual I'm actually interested. ;) )

Hi,

impressive resume...thanks Facebook :)

I am not sure who the Music Director is now at the American Church in Paris (probably Fred Gramman), but I am sure they would be willing to share their experience with you. They have 2 handbell choirs that rehearse and perform regularly. 

I hope it works.

Tor

I play instruments and sing a bit (nothing like @tor, though!), but didn't have a clue about handbell playing.

Here's an introduction for the curious:

A video from my alma mater. I grew up playing bells.