Women on Arctic research mission told not to wear tight-fitting clothing

16 posts in this topic

From the CBC:

 

A prominent Arctic research mission is coming under fire for a dress code policy that has highlighted concerns about systemic sexism in the polar sciences.

The MOSAiC expedition, an international research mission led by Germany's Alfred-Wegener-Institut, had polar researchers navigating Arctic sea ice for a full year collecting data about the Arctic climate and climate change.

But shortly after the journey began, women on board a support vessel for the mission, the Akademik Fedorov, were told they could not dress in tight-fitting clothing due to safety concerns.

Journalist Chelsea Harvey was on board the ship for six weeks in October 2019 when the policy was first disclosed. She recently wrote about the rules for energy and environmental research trade publication E&E News.

Halfway through her voyage, she said, passengers were told that "thermal underwear" was prohibited as outerwear in common areas. The next day, Harvey said the mission's leaders elaborated to say that "no leggings, no very tight-fitting clothing — nothing too revealing — no crop tops, no hot pants [and] no very short shorts" would be allowed.

 

Full article: 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/mosaic-dress-code-sexism-arctic-research-1.5739547

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Usually i hear such things from ultra conservative morons who wants to get into politics or some publicity. Never expected this in the background of a scientific mission.

May be they will declare a cult where women wear  polar sub zero gear all the time for that ship.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, catjones said:

hot pants on an arctic mission?  what's the mission?

Probably a calendar photo shooting to boost the sales of the National Journal of Science 😎.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, katheliz said:

If it's so hard for adults to control their urges, let the men stay home this year and just send the women. Swear to God, blaming women for men's unwillingness to control their own hormonal responses is getting very old.

My first thought - Covid-19? Then I read the text!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can actually understand where that's coming from. Used to know a lovely norwegian lady, that happened to spend several months a year on a research vessel in the arctic. Let's just say whenever we were in contact while she was there, she did tend to send a lot of pics that weren't exactly family-friendly. And she had quite a few "interesting" stories to tell.

 

So I guess, things happen...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29.9.2020, 03:19:56, katheliz said:

If it's so hard for adults to control their urges, let the men stay home this year and just send the women. Swear to God, blaming women for men's unwillingness to control their own hormonal responses is getting very old.

 

*clap clap clap*

 

I second that!!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Carlito said:

I can actually understand where that's coming from. Used to know a lovely norwegian lady, that happened to spend several months a year on a research vessel in the arctic. Let's just say whenever we were in contact while she was there, she did tend to send a lot of pics that weren't exactly family-friendly. And she had quite a few "interesting" stories to tell.

 

So I guess, things happen...

 

Of course things happen and as long as she was willing, I see no problem.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there once was a woman from norway

who kept warm in the arctic her way

she sent pics to her friends

missing clothes at both ends

and her story is told to this day

9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2020, 3:19:56, katheliz said:

If it's so hard for adults to control their urges, let the men stay home this year and just send the women. Swear to God, blaming women for men's unwillingness to control their own hormonal responses is getting very old.

 

I agree that men should control themselves. No woman should get harrassed or sexually assaulted because of the way they dress.

 

However if the women get to wear tight fitting clothes then the men should be allowed to wear such clothes as well. And if a boner happens sometimes, well ladies, we're all adults right?

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wien4ever said:

However if the women get to wear tight fitting clothes then the men should be allowed to wear such clothes as well. And if a boner happens sometimes, well ladies, we're all adults right?

 

Just like nudity is perfectly acceptable in sauna and fkk, but boners are not.

 

On arctic research ships any kind of Norwegian in tight clothes is delightful, and boners are never.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure you guys realise what impact you may have on us ladies should you get visibly stiff and not be our lover.

 

No,no and no. It is not "give it to me and give it to me now."

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

 

Just like nudity is perfectly acceptable in sauna and fkk, but boners are not.

 

On arctic research ships any kind of Norwegian in tight clothes is delightful, and boners are never.

Hey, at 60 you respect each and every boner you can get as something to be celebrated.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now