Travelling to Prague (Covid19)

30 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! 

First off, I apologize if this is not the place to ask this. I am new to all of this :) My question is: did anyone from Bavaria (Germany that is) travel to Prague for a vacation?? My little family has planned going there in October, and we have everything booked already. However, German authorities issued a warning due to the high increase in Covid cases. If anyone did travel there recently, how was it? What was the procedure coming back? Is testing a must? Do they even stop you at the border control? Thanks everyone and have a great weekend. 

1 hour ago, AugsburgLife said:

Hi everyone! 

First off, I apologize if this is not the place to ask this. I am new to all of this :) My question is: did anyone from Bavaria (Germany that is) travel to Prague for a vacation?? My little family has planned going there in October, and we have everything booked already. However, German authorities issued a warning due to the high increase in Covid cases. If anyone did travel there recently, how was it? What was the procedure coming back? Is testing a must? Do they even stop you at the border control? Thanks everyone and have a great weekend. 

Germany discussing stricter rules in October so that you have to quarantine and have a test no earlier than 5 days after return.  No compensation for loss of earnings.

https://www.reisereporter.de/artikel/12412-reise-in-risikogebiet-quarantaene-pflicht-ab-herbst-verzoegert-ende-kostenlose-tests-urlauber

1 hour ago, AugsburgLife said:

did anyone from Bavaria (Germany that is) travel to Prague for a vacation?? My little family has planned going there in October, and we have everything booked already.

Do you really need to even ask the question!?!?!? Do you really think it is a good idea to go to a high risk area in the middle of a pandemic? :wacko:

I would recommend that you not only read the link that was already provided, but also the following link:

https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/de/ReiseUndSicherheit/tschechischerepubliksicherheit/210456

I suggest you do your research thoroughly right up to the day you're leaving just to make sure you don't get caught in any quarantine trap, etc.

Then go. Practise social distancing, avoid all crowds and above all wear masks. Do anything else you can think of to keep yourself safe and healthy.

Have a good time.  In my opinion there has never been a better time to visit anywhere in Europe.  No cruise ships disgorging their passengers to clog the streets.  No planeloads of overseas tourists.  Grateful restaurant and hotel staff. Empty museums and public squares.     

Contact your local authorities and they will walk you through what you need to do once you return. That’s what we did before reentry and they were extremely helpful.  Don’t try to ignore the rules because 1) it’s wrong, 2) it messes with official statistics that are necessary for keeping everyone as safe as possible, and 3) you can be subjected to a heavy fine if you are caught.

27 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

Contact your local authorities and they will walk you through what you need to do once you return. That’s what we did before reentry and they were extremely helpful.  Don’t try to ignore the rules because 1) it’s wrong, 2) it messes with official statistics that are necessary for keeping everyone as safe as possible, and 3) you can be subjected to a heavy fine if you are caught.

But did you deliberately travel to a risk area against the advice of the Health Ministry?   Obviously you can, as borders are open.  How sympathetic are employers when you know, before you go, that you will have to quarantine on return while tests are done? Of course, if Czech Republic leave the risk list before travel, it would be different.  Vence did look very lovely during the lockdown.

PS Your advice is of course right!

As of 7 p.m. tonight, all of the Czech Republic has been designated a risk area. (source; scroll down to 19.16)

So any travel there will be at your own, you know, risk.

That's the problem it's not just at his/her own risk. It's about passing it on to others and risking their health.

4 minutes ago, McDee said:

That's the problem it's not just at his/her own risk. It's about passing it on to others and risking their health.

I meant risk of being quarantined upon return, or even not being able to make it back into the country because they've closed the borders again.

But I get where you're coming from, too - it sounds like they'd ignore any quarantine requirement anyway.

The problem seems to be that quarantain is hard to enforce. I heard on the radio that more than half of those who were supposed to didn´t adhere to it. That was in the UK though - but I doubt it will be much different in Germany.

11 hours ago, jeba said:

problem seems to be that quarantain is hard to enforce. I heard on the radio that more than half of those who were supposed to didn´t adhere to it.  I doubt it will be much different in Germany.

Almost impossible if borders are open. Just think of how many people cross borders on foot, by bike, ship, car, tram, train or bus. Those people go totally unchecked, their entry and exit is recorded nowhere, - most will feel healthy, have no symptoms, no test and thus not bother with quarantine. ;)

It’s also that border crossings are difficult to police because it requires cooperation between countries.  For example when we fly back to Zürich the Swiss will look at our residency cards for Germany and wave us through, we will take the train back to Konstanz, and it will then be up to us to notify our local health authorities and follow their current procedure regarding testing and quarantine.  Some fraction of people will not act like good citizens and the government won’t be the wiser.  Unfortunately they cause problems for the rest of us.

We are returning on the 30th and testing that day at our local hospital.  The new rule about waiting 5 days before testing takes effect on the 1st.  We plan to quarantine for for at least 5 days no matter what.

I was shocked to learn that our insurance is paying for us to get tested, contrary to reading that after 9/15 those returning from a high risk country should pay themselves. I don’t know if that’s Konstanz specific or what.  I think it’s fair that we should have to pay, but in thinking about it I assume that if the insurance pays some people will have more incentive to follow the rules and get tested?

6 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

I was shocked to learn that our insurance is paying for us to get tested, contrary to reading that after 9/15 those returning from a high risk country should pay themselves. I don’t know if that’s Konstanz specific or what.

Doesn't the insurance pay for the test in any case regardless of whether you travel? Ours does. I thought they had to.

14 hours ago, BethAnnBitt said:

We plan to quarantine for for at least 5 days no matter what.

How does one bring in food and supplies after being away whilst quarantining? We're going home soon after being away for 4 months.