Health insurance question

10 posts in this topic

Hello. I have a question that might be a bit tricky to answer.

I am a UK citizen who is going to Germany in about a month's time to look after a friend's house for the winter.

Right now, I have started writing a book for an English publishing house, so will do that will I am there. I am living off savings and only get a bit of an advance from the publisher.

My main concern is health insurance. I am not sure what is best for me as I will obviously be registered in Germany, but do not really plan to be longer than, say, six months.

Is it best to get "travel insurance" while I am in the UK or something while I am in Germany? I think that, if the latter, they might find it hard to pigeonhole me...

Any advice, knowledge or ideas would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

You can still apply for German public health insurance as someone “ living off savings “, Suma (etc).

With luck, you can “ get away with “ the minimum rate of c. 190 euros a month. Depends on your otherwise worldwide income but if just living off savings..ok.

The issue: there is no NHS in Germany but a myriad of public and private insurers. You have to apply and include:

proof you have been in the NHS till now ( in your case, in Scotland ), proof of income, copy of registration in Germany and an application form.

PS: this proof thingy- the Germans ask for an E104 form, which no longer exists in the UK , so the general current solution is a mini letter from your GP declaring you have been their patient from.. till.. ( just before you register in Germany.) It sounds daft but that is the reality!

No chance of comprehensive private German insurance ( for many reasons..).

Travel insurance? Maybe ..  but not sure after Jan 1st what will be kosher..not sure if a British travel insurance will be licenced then...

PS: re travel insurance... just to remember pre-existing conditions are not covered. Health insurance is a bit more complicated than most of us would wish. 

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

On 24/09/2020, 19:56:51, Sumarokov-Elston said:

I will obviously be registered in Germany, but do not really plan to be longer than, say, six months.

Is it best to get "travel insurance" while I am in the UK or something while I am in Germany?

You are required by law to take out locally purchased health insurance for residents in Germany.

You should not leave it too long after registering with your town hall, as otherwise this can lead to complications/restrictions. 

You don't need travel insurance. 

If you don't register and do not stay for more than 3 months, then you don't need local health insurance and travel insurance would be fine.

On 9/24/2020, 8:12:50, john g. said:

PS: this proof thingy- the Germans ask for an E104 form, which no longer exists in the UK , so the general current solution is a mini letter from your GP declaring you have been their patient from.. till.. ( just before you register in Germany.) It sounds daft but that is the reality!

I recently, used the Government Gateway service, to get a full record of my NI contributions in the UK, I have been paying them ever since I left the UK ( privately), so pretty much have a full record. I them registered them with the German pension system, to allow me to take alters teil zeit ( early retirement ). 

Question 

Can these documents not be used also to entitlement to be able to get German pension ? rather than a doctors statement from / till ...

6 minutes ago, yesterday said:

I recently, used the Government Gateway service, to get a full record of my NI contributions in the UK, I have been paying them ever since I left the UK ( privately), so pretty much have a full record. I them registered them with the German pension system, to allow me to take alters teil zeit ( early retirement ). 

Question Can these documents not be used also to entitlement to be able to get German pension ? rather than a doctors statement from / till ...

Do you receive a UK state retirement pension based on the UK NI contributions?

Not currently, but I will ( I believe ), when/if I get to 67

The NI form you get does not show which country you were in, when you paid the contributions, but I have been honest, I told them I was in Germany, maybe they keep this on there system

12 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Not currently, but I will ( I believe ), when/if I get to 67. 

The NI form you get does not show which country you were in, when you paid the contributions, but I have been honest, I told them I was in Germany, maybe they keep this on there system

You will get one if you've been paying in. Somewhere on there it tells you the predicted pension (amount you will get) as well. Obviously subject to change, especially if it is a long way off.

2 hours ago, jeba said:

There is private health insurance for foreigners aged below 64 staying up to 183 days in Germany starting from € 199 for the whole stay: https://www.auslandstreff.de/reiseversicherung-fuer-gaeste/

:huh: But isn't the maximum stay without taking up residence 3 months?

This is what we were told upon arrival. My partner did 3 months without doing the Anmeldung, then was absent for 1 month, but upon return had to register as a resident. The town hall looked it up for us and said that the 3 months could only be done once and if you come back again you are a resident. 

And residence triggers the need for local health insurance for residents

1 hour ago, lunaCH said:

And residence triggers the need for local health insurance for residents

True, but not necessarily the same kind of health insurance as long-term residents. At least that´s what I understood from reading between the lines of TT. @john g. to the rescue!