Dusseldorf for a weekend trip

10 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice on our trip to Dusseldorf... 

We were due at the Canstatten Volksfest in Stuttgart next week however now cancelled for obvious reasons.

However 2 of us, both guys, are heading to Dusseldorf on Thursday 1st until Sunday the 4th October, next week.

Plan is from our research to just enjoy some beer, great food, good company and some great scenery.

The old town seems the place to go so will everything still be open during the day and evening?

Any recommendations? We are in our 40's and early 50's but still enjoy some decent music, great conversation, loads of laughter, letting our hair down and eating and drinking. Two professional blokes so we are pretty relaxed what we do as long as we get a decent weekend to chill out!

We will be respecting all the Covid regulations but would really welcome some tips!

Many thanks to anyone who can help!

Cheers

Andy

When you really wanna have something close to Main Station, then give the Brewery Schumacher (Oststr), Ellington Cocktailbar (Scheurenstr) and Buttershaker (at UFA Cinema at the main station).

But would rather propose to go to Altstadt or Media Harbor area for bars & drinks.

In general the immediate streets around Hauptbahnhof (Hbf) are a rather cheap, and in parts shady neighborhood. RLD, some darkish alleys, some seamy folks, known for drug dealing and occasional mugging, esp. at night time. Advanced police presence, occasional raids.

That doesn't mean, it is a considered No-Go area, but just one of the less attractive parts of the city for tourists. Sorry for having to say this.

There are some bars, shady strip bars included, and a number of corner pubs, but again rather populated with some seamy folks.

Uerrige in the old town is a good afternoon place. Lots of places are open. Lots of cool museums and bars in and around the old town. It's no rougher than anywhere else and I'm not sure why dodgy areas were mentioned so much.

Enjoy.

Thanks both,

It sounds like the old town is the best place to go. Pleased to hear the bars are open. Someone mentioned they may be shutting at 10pm in the evening like the recent UK laws, is that true? We arrive about 11am on Thursday morning so I guess we will head up to the old town and have a stroll around and take a look. Keen to try the Altbier and see what that's like!

Thanks again

Andy 

Great news, so open normal hours, that's a big help.

Is there a particular street in the old town that has most of the bars, or are they all scattered but easy to navigate around?

We are staying at the Hotel Royal Leonardo Konigsallee so pretty close to the area.

There are only a few streets full of pubs in Ddorf. If you can't find a few decent ones it means you're too pissed so should go back to the hotel. 😉

Düsseldorf is great for a boozy weekend, having said that there are the Rhein cruises that go up to Kaiserswerth and back, it´s a three hour trip on the Rhein and I loved it... Was a tad wobbly on my pins afterwards due to some bugger pouring Alt down my neck every five minutes.

https://www.w-flotte.de/tour/info/35

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Off there in 2 days so I'll let you know how we get on!