Breaking my apartment contract early.

3 posts in this topic

Hi TT, need a bit of advice. I currently rent an apartment in Berlin from a company which owns many apartments in Berlin, and I'm looking to move out because I'm moving to a new city from October 1. My apartment's notice is 3 months, but my landlord agreed (in email) to let me go earlier if I supplied them a new tenant. She gave me her colleague's email and asked me to ask the people interested in the apartment to email her directly. So I made a post on FB and I received a lot of interest. Some people came to see the apartment, and when they showed interest, I directed them to the email address given to me. 

A few days later, I emailed the colleague myself to ask if she has received emails from tenants, and if there was anything I could do to help with the process. She shot me an angry reply back saying I had no right to put up her work email on FB publicly (which I didn't), and that she had deleted all those emails without reading. And that instead of giving out her email, I should pick three tenants and collect their docs, and send it to her. Also, she added that Oct 1 isn't possible, they can pick a tenant by Oct 16, but they weren't obligated to. 

I was a bit taken aback, but I kept my cool and politely explained in the email that I had indeed not posted her email on FB, but instead given it out privately on message. And that I was just doing what was asked. Then I collected the docs of three tenants and sent it to her. 

I've been following up and she has just been very uncooperative and rude. She claims she hasn't checked her emails in the past days (which sounds weird to me), and effectively has told me not to call her, not to follow up, she will call when she has questions. Meanwhile, one of my tenants. has found another apartment, and the other two are getting impatient as well. 

The problem is, my move out date is pretty close. I'm a bit reluctant to hand over the apartment in case they don't pick a new tenant, since that might mean I have to keep paying rent for another 3 months without actually living in the apartment. 

Also, I need to time to sell my stuff, move out, paint the apartment, clean it etc. In case they pick a tenant, then I have to do all this immediately. In case they don't, and I do all of these things, then I am stuck with an empty apartment where I have to sleep and sit on the floor.  

I know legally they are well within their rights and I can't do anything. My questions are:

1. Why are people so rude to others who they've never met, and jump to conclusions? 

2. Is there anything else I can do - some sort of a gesture that makes them want to help me out? 

What would your advice be?

17 hours ago, astuteperceptions said:

. Why are people so rude to others who they've never met, and jump to conclusions? 

That´s a question I´d ask her superior. It´s unacceptable that she doesn´t read her emails.

Phone up the landlady immediately and inform her of what has happening, your limited use of the email and the deliberate deletion. Add that you feel that you have done your side of things and can she explain why this has been happening. See if you can't get an amicable arrangement.