Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Meal kits:hassle-free cooking? €45 off for the local readers

7 posts in this topic

After a welcome summer break, September is often the time to re-establish a routine that can help simplify your life.

Finding the time and energy to prepare tasty and nutritious meals is a real challenge – especially as it starts to get darker and colder. From convenience to culinary variety, we all know the perks of meal kits that bring you all the ready-to-cook ingredients you need straight to your door.

But what about the downsides? From expats to locals, plenty of us have reservations about meal kits. Aren’t they expensive? Don’t they produce loads of food waste – not to mention all the packaging?

And then there’s the necessary cooking skills. What about those of us who haven’t spent the last decade diligently watching each and every cooking show with a pad and pen, who somehow seem to mess up everything in the kitchen – even a piece of toast?

Together with our partners Hello Fresh, The Local have dished up some tasty facts on meal kits. From giving you the low down on just how it works to smashing some persistent myths, this is everything you need to know about the modern meal kit.

Read more about Meal Kits and the special offer for readers of TheLocal from Hello Fresh in Germany – or Switzerland or Austria in our FULL ARTICLE

7 hours ago, The Local said:

Finding the time and energy to prepare tasty and nutritious meals is a real challenge – especially as it starts to get darker and colder.

What, because we need to go shopping by flashlight or something? 

Keep a basic set of key ingredients always stocked up and you'll never have to waste money on take-out again. 

21 minutes ago, knotheadusc said:

I had a horrible experience with Hello Fresh out of Berlin.  Never again.

Could you give some more details? I've also had a problem with them a couple months back. They rescheduled my delivery because of some problems on their side, I refused a new schedule as they planned it for easter holidays and I claerly wasn't planning on eating Hello Fresh instead of traditional food that I was going to cook. I said I would be leaving for holidays and I don't accept new date of delivery. They said they are sorry but they can't do anything about it and if I'm not at home they will leave the package with my neighbour or if noone will accept it, they will donate it. They didn't see a problem with leaving a huge box of fresh food for a couple of days with a neighbour. One way or another, they didn't really care what happens to it as far as I'm paying for it. 

25 minutes ago, marcinv said:

Could you give some more details? I've also had a problem with them a couple months back. They rescheduled my delivery because of some problems on their side, I refused a new schedule as they planned it for easter holidays and I claerly wasn't planning on eating Hello Fresh instead of traditional food that I was going to cook. I said I would be leaving for holidays and I don't accept new date of delivery. They said they are sorry but they can't do anything about it and if I'm not at home they will leave the package with my neighbour or if noone will accept it, they will donate it. They didn't see a problem with leaving a huge box of fresh food for a couple of days with a neighbour. One way or another, they didn't really care what happens to it as far as I'm paying for it. 

We subscribed in 2015.  First, their payment system was messed up, so I kept getting notifications that my payment failed, when it didn’t.  One week, I ended up with four fruit boxes and three classic boxes, for which they blamed me when I complained.  They ended up not charging me after I raised hell, but they still blamed me for their wonky system.

After about a year, we decided we wanted to cancel the service, so we did.  Then, in November 2018, right before we were moving from our last house, I got an email dated from February 2015 welcoming me to Hello Fresh.  Since it was obviously a mistake, I ignored it.  But then I got a notification from UPS that they sent a box and my payment failed.  I raised hell again and refused the box, but they still blamed me for their wonky system.  It worked out in the end, but it was definitely extra stress we didn’t need right before a move.  

Their customer service sucks, and I didn’t enjoy the food very much.  I would never risk trying them again.

I have been using Hello Fresh for a few years. I’ve had a few hiccups, but they have always been solved with some sort of compensation. 

What bothers me most about this thread is the Local is trying to get money from people from referrals. They will get 20 Euro off their next box. Ask a friend instead.