Speeding fine - how to respond

21 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I went on a road trip a couple of weeks back and today got a letter from another city that I was driving at 73 km/hr in a 50 km/hr zone inside city limits. I usually do not drive fast but the letter has my photo and they have the speed taken from the speed camera.

I just checked that 20-25 km/hr over the limit in an urban area means 1 point and a 1 month driving ban. This will be my second violation. Several months ago I got another fine for driving at 40 km/hr in a 30 km/hr zone. But there were no points. Just a 25 euro fine.

The letter says I need to fill in my details and send it back to them which is a city near Bremen ( and I live in Hamburg). It also asks whether I admit to the violation.

What would be the advisable course of action? Send the details with an apology letter? Any chance that they could pardon a first point violation? I heard that you can choose the month of suspension once they send the final letter. I don't speak much German so not much chance of contesting this. Just pleading maybe.

Thanks in advance.

According to the new rules, there is supposed to be a one month ban but they say on the couple of websites I've checked that it's not effective due to a mistake in the new law and refer to the old law which does not have a ban for up to 25 km too fast so i don't think you are facing a ban. 

If you were, they can possibly pardon it if you take it to court or basically you can plead to pay the fine but keep your license because you need your car.

Internet lawyers seem to advise not responding to such letters. Especially if you want to take it to court, it would not be in your interest to admit to it.  I have ignored such a letter and a second letter to follow and after that didn't hear from them again.  Wasn't facing a ban but should have gotten a point for it.

10 minutes ago, LeonG said:

According to the new rules, there is supposed to be a one month ban but they say on the couple of websites I've checked that it's not effective due to a mistake in the new law and refer to the old law which does not have a ban for up to 25 km too fast so i don't think you are facing a ban. 

If you were, they can possibly pardon it if you take it to court or basically you can plead to pay the fine but keep your license because you need your car.

Internet lawyers seem to advise not responding to such letters. Especially if you want to take it to court, it would not be in your interest to admit to it.  I have ignored such a letter and a second letter to follow and after that didn't hear from them again.  Wasn't facing a ban but should have gotten a point for it.

You were lucky there as it´s an automated process, normally if you don´t respond they tend to get all gnarly and hit you harder.

By the way just got caught 28 kmh over the limit, I filled in the papers and would expect an 80 Euro fine with the Bearbeitungsgebühr bringing it up to 130 and one point in Flensburg.

I´ll keep y´all informed, so watch this space.

admit guilt, sign the letter and wait. 

You can choose the month, within a certain time period,

they might offer you the opportunity to register for a driving course to remove the point.

Thanks guys. I will admit and probably write a letter pleading for a pardon this first time.

Drove in Canada for 7 years without a single ticket and now facing a driving ban within a few months in Germany ... what a tragedy.

8 hours ago, slammer said:

You were lucky there as it´s an automated process, normally if you don´t respond they tend to get all gnarly and hit you harder.

By the way just got caught 28 kmh over the limit, I filled in the papers and would expect an 80 Euro fine with the Bearbeitungsgebühr bringing it up to 130 and one point in Flensburg.

I´ll keep y´all informed, so watch this space.

Thanks. Please do post how it does and I will too once I get a response.

22 hours ago, skicanada said:

Thanks guys. I will admit and probably write a letter pleading for a pardon this first time.

Drove in Canada for 7 years without a single ticket and now facing a driving ban within a few months in Germany ... what a tragedy.

Thanks. Please do post how it does and I will too once I get a response.

Like Leon G says, I don't think you'll get a ban, because of administrative mistakes in the new law. If you want to practice your German writing, go ahead, but I don't think anybody will read your plea, and in addition you state it isn't your first fine either, so they won't have much sympathy for you... 

On 9/22/2020, 11:47:54, slammer said:

Got blitzed in Stuttgart a few months ago despite the wife sitting next to me telling me "you`re going to fast,going to get a ticket" etc so you can imagine how that ended up when I was blitzed.

Didn`t hear anything so thought maybe I`d got away with it.

Couple of months later got a letter saying as I hadn`t paid the fine  it has gone up from €15 to €48.

Turns out the wife had got the letter and wanted to rub it in my face when I got home from work but had forgotten about it :(

So yer basically just pay it when you get it or it will cost you.

2 hours ago, Keleth said:

Got blitzed in Stuttgart a few months ago despite the wife sitting next to me telling me "you`re going to fast,going to get a ticket" etc so you can imagine how that ended up when I was blitzed.

Couple of months later got a letter saying as I hadn`t paid the fine  it has gone up from €15 to €48.

Turns out the wife had got the letter and wanted to rub it in my face when I got home from work but had forgotten about it :(

Very much so... I´m waiting with bated breath for the fine hammer. Perhaps it´s luck that we don´t live in Switzerland, when it comes to speeding they tend to treat drivers like murderers.

I was the slowest driver during my trip. Others were going way faster - 80 in a 50 zone, 100 in a 70 zone. Do drivers in Germany generally pick up a lot of fines or do people just know where the cameras are?

I got the one month ban and like a €200 fine for trying to make it through a yellow light. The second flash says I was .01 second after the light turned red. I think Leonberg just needs cash to pay for its new courthouse/city hall.

2 hours ago, skicanada said:

I was the slowest driver during my trip. Others were going way faster - 80 in a 50 zone, 100 in a 70 zone. Do drivers in Germany generally pick up a lot of fines or do people just know where the cameras are?

They know where the cameras are. It's a thing. It's the BlitzerBrain.

2 hours ago, skicanada said:

People will know locally and it's a good idea to watch the locals when you are driving.  If they suddenly slow down, it could mean camera ahead.  There is an app called blitzer.de which some people use.  It warns you about cameras ahead and user alert about new cameras or portable if they see them.  Of course it's not fool proof, you could get caught by a new camera they just put up.  There is also a fine for having it if you get caught. Some people just collect a lot of fines and points but most try to stay within 20km above the limit to avoid points and bans. 

18 hours ago, Keleth said:

Love it!  Had a family member visiting- driving from Hamburg. I told them- several times and texted  en route to remind of Blitzen on the exit road to us.

Yep- they were blitzed- euro200 and 1 point.  Received the letter when he returned to the UK. The point was not a problem, but he wrote a pleading letter, citing tourist, strange roads etc. No good- I paid for him, but turned the photo into a Christmas card for his kids!!

5 hours ago, RedMidge said:

Love it!  Had a family member visiting- driving from Hamburg. I told them- several times and texted  en route to remind of Blitzen on the exit road to us.

Yep- they were blitzed...

Given how actively speed limits are enforced in the UK (speed cameras "everywhere") its a bit difficult to believe ..

euro200 and 1 point

Must have been going WELL over the limit.

10 minutes ago, HEM said:

41 to 50 km too fast outside of town gets you a 200€ fine, 2 points and a one month ban although I don't know how they'll give you a ban if you are a tourist and already left.

6 hours ago, RedMidge said:

Yep- they were blitzed- euro200 and 1 point.  Received the letter when he returned to the UK. The point was not a problem, but he wrote a pleading letter, citing tourist, strange roads etc. No good- I paid for him, but turned the photo into a Christmas card for his kids!!

The photo on the letter creeps you out. A friend of mine suggested I contact this lawyer who does one free consultation. I doubt if it will be of any use but if it is free, why not. Someone called me yesterday but couldn't speak much English. Today, another will call.

On another note, I need to aggressively learn German. I am still stuck at A1 level.

What irritates me are the traps that are specially designed to be traps. For instance at the end of the end of the A95 going into Munich it´s 50, then you go into the tunnel and in the curve it drops to 40 for a few meters, then back to 50.

Guess where the cameras are?

3 minutes ago, slammer said:

What irritates me are the traps that are specially designed to be traps. For instance at the end of the end of the A95 going into Munich it´s 50, then you go into the tunnel and in the curve it drops to 40 for a few meters, then back to 50.

Guess where the cameras are?

Same here. I think I got caught in this short stretch of road passing through a village where the speed dropped to 50 for like 500m.

I tend to take the view, that its just of the cost of driving a car these days, you just have to pay and smile, because it seems impossible to drive and no get fines every so often

Well, there is that instrument on the dashboard that reports the current speed; coupled with these white, round metal plates at the side (sometimes over the road) with a hint of red on the edge and large, black numerals in the middle. 

Observing both is somewhat tiring, but then prevents accidents and is cheaper.

5 hours ago, HEM said:

Given how actively speed limits are enforced in the UK (speed cameras "everywhere") its a bit difficult to believe ..

Yes! This particular exit road is notorious for speeding fines,  as you have to slow down immediately to avoid the light.

it was a rental car, so they obviously traced him !