Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Herbstdeko - suggestions

12 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. Lately I have been looking for sunflowers (artificial) to make some Autumn arrangements at home but I found everything to be incredible expensive so I even took a look at ebay but with shipping costs its even worse than buying in a local store. By expensive I mean, I want 15-20 sunflowers maybe, being 2-3€ (or more!) per flower, I end up with an arrangement very expensive if I take in consideration that that cost was JUST for sunflowers and I still need other items to group it with... 

So I was looking online for stores (ebay.com takes too much time at this point too) like IKEA or something... I will try to go to a flohmarket soon to see if I have any luck... But do anyone here knows of a website (or any other way) I could perhaps buy this kind of items? More decoration items would be even better! 

Sorry for the silly post! But I really would like to make a beautiful first Autumn for my baby daughter :)  even if in a budget (damn you Corona... really!)

6 minutes ago, Zhaitan said:

Sorry for the silly post! But I really would like to make a beautiful first Autumn for my baby daughter :)  even if in a budget (damn you Corona... really!)

You do realise that small baby will have very little benefit from all your decorative efforts, don´t you?!

The most benefit will actually be if Mum is happy, and that doesn´t necessarily have to involve spending a small fortune on fake flowers, does it?

We used to collect fallen leaves when out for a walk, press them until fully dried, and then string them up and hang them by the windows, over the radiator - they would waft around a little bit from the heat, and give some autumn colour to the living room.

similarly, we (when Shorty was old enough to help!) would cut out snowflakes and hang them over the radiators - made a nice effect in winter.

I think that what I am really trying to say is that decoration does not have to be expensive, but you have to be happy with it!

28 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

You do realise that small baby will have very little benefit from all your decorative efforts, don´t you?!

Ouch! :huh:

Could you "just" make paper sunflowers? From whatever material you happen to have handy... cornflakes boxes... orange and yellow highlighters...  good old water colours...

1 hour ago, robinson100 said:

The most benefit will actually be if Mum is happy, and that doesn´t necessarily have to involve spending a small fortune on fake flowers, does it?

@robinson100 I know you meant well saying this. I am by no means a person with a itch for buying, consuming and then pointing out how it costs, I mean... I do have my reasons why I really, really want to put some effort decorating for this Autumn. It's not about pleasing my baby. I have never bought any decoration items (all I have was offered and only a couple things), and I was never into deco items since I always thought it makes it harder to clean the house (dust and such), it is pricey and not worth it when I even prefer simplistic environments. So why am I making the effort? I don't need to explain, I know you also don't care about it as in, you just gave your thoughts about buying deco, I know you don't really came to ask me why but either way, let me tell you why: for many years I battled depression and I didn't even care if I was wearing decades old clothes, stained or whatever; I suffered through close family members losses, I came to Germany and I isolated even more not having family or friends here. This year, I do want this to change. I do want to look at myself, put a damn vase with beautiful flowers at my table and I want my daughter to grow up seeing me taking care of myself too. I know she won't remember this autumn but I do want to start this asap, I want to care. For the first time in ages I do feel motivated to make a stupid table (it was always just a damn table to me, why bother to make it look "beautiful"?) look AMAZING, I will buy a new damn piece of clothes and I will do make an effort to make myself enjoy it. I do feel this burst of energy to give this first step, I feel motivation that I never had in years (maybe because of my daughter to be honest...) and I want to make it count. She will be 1 year old. 

Also, I am not buying everything! ( @optimista , great suggestion too) I got several tiny apples from a neighbor (will use to deco!), dried leaves on yellow and orange that I collected from roads and will give a bunch of color to my arrangements too, some sticks and pine cones. I also saved a bunch of glass bottles from conservatives that I will use as jars! I just think sunflowers will do make a huge boost on the looks and that's what I really would like to have either way...  

The pine cones I will buy in white and save for Christmas! :)

Sherlock deduces you are nowhere near a forest. Sherlock also deduces that you are in recovery. The beautiful person that you are on the inside is bubbling its way to the surface. Long may this continue.

Can someone post pine cones to Zhaitan? I'm in France... which seems a bit extreme. Sounds like a job for Spider.

@Zhaitan - I love your vision and search for something of beauty and love for you and your child.

You have collected some natural items, and I hope you find more. Don't forget chestnuts!

I have found Rossman's shops a great place for decor items at a reasonable price- from seasonal table linen to artificial flowers, candles etc. Also a great selection of gift wrapping paper and tissue. Great fior cutting out designs.

Good wishes for your new beginnings.

As I said, decorate to make Mum happy and everything will be fine!

Glad you are feeling better!

Have you looked on Amazon.de already? The prices seem quite good:

https://www.amazon.de/s?k=deko+sonnenblumen&hvadid=80882856016106&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&tag=hyddemsn-21&ref=pd_sl_28yyu0rg3t_e

If only you were looking for real sunflowers - we have a field of them just outside of the house!

36 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

If only you were looking for real sunflowers - we have a field of them just outside of the house!

I do have a neighbor with sunflowers in his field but I saw that they are already falling, and probably even the best looking ones won't last probably a week or so. Have been checking amazon too, that and amazon. 

@optimista thank you so much, I have a bunch of pine cones already! 2 varieties in fact! I got them while taking a walk outside with my daughter (she is incredibly excited giving her first steps and I have been catching all sorts of things from the nature!). 

Today I added many dried leaves to add some Autumn color: orange, red, yellow... all sorts of it! I did gathered all my "materials" into a basket and it looks nice, even without the flowers. If I am able to add a few in the next weeks, great (going to check a flohmarket soon), if not, it does look like Autumn to me and I have been having a great time going out with the lil assistant, my daughter.

Thanks everyone :) 

@Zhaitan : All the best to you and your child!

All sorts of bushes are bearing nice looking berries to decorate with now - also go to Grunewald and the big lake in the Berlin area for interesting smooth stones and bits of wood.

I've even made semi Ikebana arrangements with stuff like that.

Edible things! Don't forget pumpkins! They come in an incredible range of colours and patterns. Plus apples and pears in all their hues. A shallow basket overbrimming with colurful healthy stuff and a few scattered leaves and nuts round it will instantly give you warm, Earth Mother feelings!

Zhaitan, do you knit or sew? 

If you knit, then the great free Ravelry website includes patterns for Frankie's knitted stuff, which is brilliant. eg.https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/woodland-wreath

If you sew, then I visit the local Red Cross charity store to find things which can be made into other things, sheets and covers are huge and a great supply of cheap fabric - there are so many ideas of things to make for a small child - I think you could have a lot of fun.

If you neither knit nor sew, then just colours and glue will get you a long way, but you could also learn the skills - these things are so much more possible now with you-tube tutorials - you don't need to know a lovely old granny to teach you the stuff, you can borrow an expert online, for free, which is amazing. I am trying to learn crochet this way. 

Kik stores are a good source of cheap but often surprisingly nice deco stuff. But the seasonal themes do sell out quickly.